7 Players who impressed me!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iceman
Club Player

7 Players who impressed me!

Charlie Gardiner - Moved well, worked hard to create space and opportunity, hot up through the midfield and became the one to hit and the link man in busy traffic.

Steven King - Rucked about 50-50 (from watching on T.V) with M.G. strong body, smart, thinks about his footy and where to position himself at the bounce and around the ground, the ruckman St. Kilda has been crying out for, for years!

Michael Gardiner - Got through a game, wasn't overly imposing, but skills weren't too bad. Looks fit and lean and seemed to move around the ground well!

Jarryn Geary - Plenty of poise and smarts coming off the flanks, skills were great, decision making just as good. The thing that impresses me most about geary is how he got this far, works his behind off, off the rookie list. started in the Casey 2's, earnt his spot in the 1's and made it impossible to drop him by performance, has made a good start at AFL level now too.

Clinton Jones - Good pace and ferocity, hard around the pill and strong bodied when breaking tackles and laying them, has pace and was a good link man, would like to see him get a bit more space on his own. Skills while not 100% weren't too bad, other than his shot on goal hit everything he needed to, even the short bannana chip which set up a goal!

Raph Clarke - Got through a full game, decision making and skills much better, this may be in a correlation of his fitness but it was refreshing, still a little bit to work on, but raised an eyebrow! X was also good but seemed to fade out of the game watching on T.V.

Robby Eddy - Fitness machine, competes very well, and can play taller than himself, good skills and decision making, very accountable and always step for step with opponent. Shame he is still on Rookie list, but good start!

I'm not saying these guys were the best 7, just 7 who I thought did very very well and exceded my personal expectations.

Sainter_4_life
Club Player

Bit harsh to leave young Miles out. He really caught my eye watching the game live. Showed alot of composure down back

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_4_life wrote:Bit harsh to leave young Miles out. He really caught my eye watching the game live. Showed alot of composure down back

and allen should have kicked four goals....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_4_life wrote:Bit harsh to leave young Miles out. He really caught my eye watching the game live. Showed alot of composure down back
Miles was my standout tonight, expected little, delivered a lot :D :D

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: 7 Players who impressed me!

Jarryn Geary - Plenty of poise and smarts coming off the flanks, skills were great, decision making just as good. The thing that impresses me most about geary is how he got this far, works his behind off, off the rookie list. started in the Casey 2's, earnt his spot in the 1's and made it impossible to drop him by performance, has made a good start at AFL level now too.

We must require as a minimum, blokes like this to complement the stars; I for one (for what it"s worth, although have been a Sainter since the early 70's) believe that these players will deliver the goods eventually, just keep them coming.

Hard work ethic will be foremost in a premiership coming to St. Kilda!!

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Miles can playhes had some great games back for swan districts hence why i was stoked we got him as a rookie heres hoping elivation happens at the end of the season

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Miles can playhes had some great games back for swan districts hence why i was stoked we got him as a rookie heres hoping elivation happens at the end of the season
How old is he again?
I think it was 24?
Well anyway I too would like to see him be elevated as back up however I don't know if he will become a star because I don't think he can have that much improving to do at his age, if he was 21 or so I would be over the moon with him...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think hes only 22 so still got room for improvement will prob never be a super star but could still become a very handy player
Last edited by st_Trav_ofWA on Sun 17 Feb 2008 6:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i think hes only 22
I would definitely take that :D :D

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

If my calculations are correct (pretty doubtful) he is 21 years and 4 months old!!
We could have found Max's heir apparent...

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

22 in October. Plays a whole lot more attacking style of game compared to Max, which is good because currently Max does not make his opponent accountable enough. If he's 50% as good a spoiler as Max, and 80% as good against Gorillas, i'd have him at full back for sure.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:If my calculations are correct (pretty doubtful) he is 21 years and 4 months old!!
big shoes to fill there being maxys replacement but he could definatly grow into the role

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Armoooo wrote:If my calculations are correct (pretty doubtful) he is 21 years and 4 months old!!
big shoes to fill there being maxys replacement but he could definatly grow into the role
It's very unfair to expect him to be half the superstar Max turned out to be but there are a lot of people around who are worried about where our next full back is going to come from and we may have found one :) :)
I would like to see him spend a full season in Casey's 1s while bulking up, get promoted, play a couple of games next year (with Max hopefully still in the side) and then see him become a full member of our 22 in '10 :)

Granny Mae

I expect Eddy to be elevated some time soon

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Granny Mae wrote:I expect Eddy to be elevated some time soon
Replacing who.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Granny Mae wrote:I expect Eddy to be elevated some time soon
only if some one gos onto the LTI and lets all pray that doesnt happen this year !

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

How tall is Miles exactly ?

Is he 185cm or 191cm ?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:How tall is Miles exactly ?

Is he 185cm or 191cm ?
Luke Miles
Fast Facts
Jumper No: 45
Height: 185.8 cm
Weight: 78.8 kg
DOB: 30/10/1986
Recruited From: swan districts

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Jeez, he looked a lot taller from where I was sitting... It could be that monster leap that I saw a couple of times...

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Is he 185cm or 191cm ?
Luke Miles
Fast Facts
On the Swan Districts site it said that he was 191cm ?? :? :?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Is he 185cm or 191cm ?
Luke Miles
Fast Facts
On the Swan Districts site it said that he was 191cm ?? :? :?
From WOM..

Pick No 24. Luke Miles (Swan Districts/Guildford Grammer) DOB:30Oct86, 191cm, 78kg
Luke was recruited to Swan Districts from Guildford Grammer. He took out the Swan Districts Best and Fairest after playing 19 matches in 2007, averaging 14 disposals per match and booting nine goals. He is a midfielder but often played back pocket or full back. Luke has great speed and agility and clocked 2.73sec for 20m at WA State Screening Session in 2007, along with 7.83sec for the agility test - the quickest times measured at all NAB AFL Draft testing this year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

http://www.swandistrictsfc.com/lmiles.html

Luke Miles
Number: 52
League Debut: 2006
Position: Utility
Date of Birth: 30/10/1986
Place of Birth; WA,br>Height: 191cm
Weight: 78kg

Whereas saints.com.au has

Name: LukeMiles
Recruited From: SWAN DISTRICTS
Height: 185.8cm Weight: 78.8kg
Position: Medium midfielder

The Peanut
Club Player

Interesting ... I forget where I sourced the info for WoM (I try to remember to provide the info source - perhaps I just guessed :lol: )

In all seriousness though there is a hell of a lot of difference between the two measurements.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The NAB Cup record has Miles listed as 186 cm..

The AFL Prospectus has Miles listed as 186 cm

The AFL 2008 Season Guide has Miles listed as 186 cm

So how tall is he.......

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:Interesting ... I forget where I sourced the info for WoM (I try to remember to provide the info source - perhaps I just guessed :lol: )

In all seriousness though there is a hell of a lot of difference between the two measurements.
I would guess from his original club site...