Fraser and the game plan

saint-stu

Fraser and the game plan

I was wondering what everyone thought of how Fraser is adapting to the new game plan?

I find it frustrating when the whole team floods, the ball is finally turned over but there is no one to kick it to.

Would it really hurt if Fraser always stayed in our forward 50?

Re: Fraser and the game plan

saint-stu wrote:I was wondering what everyone thought of how Fraser is adapting to the new game plan?

I find it frustrating when the whole team floods, the ball is finally turned over but there is no one to kick it to.

Would it really hurt if Fraser always stayed in our forward 50?
IMO no, I believe that keeping a couple of players in the middle and your forward line is a good idea, let's face it, how much can G do down back to help, he is much better being in a dangerous position...
The way the game is played now it will soon be like NFL where offensive and defensive teams come on and off...

I thought Fraser's best work was done early in the game when he was leading up the wings. He either ran out of puff or was moved deeper after that. It made our forward line much more potent when we had Gehrig and Gardiner as strong marking options at half forward.

mad saint guy wrote:I thought Fraser's best work was done early in the game when he was leading up the wings. He either ran out of puff or was moved deeper after that. It made our forward line much more potent when we had Gehrig and Gardiner as strong marking options at half forward.
Surely you would rather Riewoldt playing that role with Gehrig and Kosi closer to home though?

Armoooo wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:I thought Fraser's best work was done early in the game when he was leading up the wings. He either ran out of puff or was moved deeper after that. It made our forward line much more potent when we had Gehrig and Gardiner as strong marking options at half forward.
Surely you would rather Riewoldt playing that role with Gehrig and Kosi closer to home though?
roo leading up the wings is wasted...charlie gardiner proved this...he dominated in that role

if g plays in the left-footed pockets/half forwards it leaves plenty of room for kosi and roo to do there thing just outside and deep inside the forward 50

Armoooo wrote:Surely you would rather Riewoldt playing that role with Gehrig and Kosi closer to home though?
Depends on if Gardiner can carry his good form through to the real season and how Schneider goes. If Gardiner flops then I would like to see Gehrig playign as a HF that leads well up the ground with Riewoldt in his regular role, with Kosi and Milne as the permanent deep forward targets.

If Gardiner keeps up his form then I would have no idea how to best set up the forward line. I think Kosi, Gehrig and Milne would be too much inside 50 (since Mline is now effectively a leading marking option). Letting Gehrig spend some time on the bench and Kosi in the ruck would probably be necessary if the opposition flooded heavily (ie: two extra loose defenders standing in front of Kosi/G/Mline).

Bah...let Lyon figure it out.

i think you have to remember tho, that Gehrig again showed last Friday that he is the best set shot for goal we have, so we would want to give him as many opportunities as we can

The_Dud wrote:i think you have to remember tho, that Gehrig again showed last Friday that he is the best set shot for goal we have, so we would want to give him as many opportunities as we can
That is exactly right. the last place G needs to be is on the wing. He is the leading FF.

my les foote

I said to Fraser when he was living in Switzerland.

"You do your best work close to home".

I think he misinterpereted what I said but it will all work out in the end.

Win it for HIM!

plugger66 wrote:That is exactly right. the last place G needs to be is on the wing. He is the leading FF.
you're right. fraser's the leading FF, whilst Kosi is the contested marking FF.

we need both to kick winning scores and if, for any reason it is not working on a given day, either is interchangeable with riewoldt at chf, imo.

we need to mix it up a bit and not be too predictable.

believe me, opposition teams are cr*pping themselves about having to cover all of the 3 Divas.

chuck in a C. Gardiner or Allen or Gilbert across half-forward (to further lessen the load and reliance on riewoldt) and it ought to be easy to convert opportunities to goals this season

many reliable and consistent avenues to goal

TimeToShineFellas

mad saint guy wrote:Depends on if Gardiner can carry his good form through to the real season and how Schneider goes.
I reckon they'll both go well.

Both would be champing at the bit to prove their former Clubs wrong. (Cue also King and Dempster). They'll all be hungry for it!

imo, there's nothing better or more rewarding than a footballer cut loose by another club wanting to stick it up their former club.

saw this quote on the Richmond board, made me laugh

"You know you're in trouble when your team makes Charlie ****ing Gardiner look like a superstar!!! think about that for a few seconds"

aussiejones

" many reliable and consistent avenues to goal "

No more one dimentional Saints !

Riewolt doesnt have to try to win it on his own
Gtrain should be less frustrated
Milney will have a Scnider to dish it off to and vice versa

They have to learn to play together with the new blood .
more team work (this is not a criticism) more a comment that backing up is easier with talking and capable options running by.

Huzzad

I just wish it was round one already! I want this season to begin! Haven't been this excited in a long long time.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews

Huzzad wrote:I just wish it was round one already! I want this season to begin! Haven't been this excited in a long long time.
keep a lid on it mate

When we are playing good footy, our H/F line, ie. Roo & Kosi are moving between there and H/B; it just makes it less one dimensional and very hard to play on. there's no reason a fit "G" can't do this too

my les foote wrote:I said to Fraser when he was living in Switzerland.

"You do your best work close to home".

I think he misinterpereted what I said but it will all work out in the end.
:lol: :lol: