So, a win over the Cats this week will mean what??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

yipper
SS Life Member

So, a win over the Cats this week will mean what??

Will the lid come off already!!?? :lol: or will it just be the NAB crap cup and mean nothing? From a marketing perspective - it will be like liquid gold with membership sales going right off and merchandise etc. crowds will flock to see the re-invigorated saints strut their stuff at the Dome!!

But, the most important result - will be for the players I reckon. Confidence - when this team has it, they are very, very good. They will get another shot in the arm from a win over the Cats - without a bevy of stars. There are players playing for spots in the team - even careers. There will be plenty of upside to a NAB cup win this weekend. If we lose, then no harm done as well in real terms - although the marketing team will gnash their teeth at an opportunity lost.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

yipper I would be suprised if we did but

I would like to see us ramp it up and look for the 300k for winning the cup, nice little earner plus imagine the membership sales!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I don't care if we win or not....but yes it would be nice.

What I care about is seeing how the fringe and developing players go against a better opponent than the Tigers.

For example

*Geary looked really good against the Tigers....but can he play that well against the Cat's.

* Blake played quite well acroos HB....but will playing against a better team see his hesistation return?
*Clinton Jones racked up 21 disposals and was quite creative with his hanballs. will greater pressure see him flonder?

*Charlie was good.....can he earn us much ball againsta tighter Carts backline?

*X man was very good as full time mid. Can he do this again?

etc

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

[quote="saintsRrising"]I don't care if we win or not....but yes it would be nice.

What I care about is seeing how the fringe and developing players go against a better opponent than the Tigers.

For example

*Geary looked really good against the Tigers....but can he play that well against the Cat's.

* Blake played quite well acroos HB....but will playing against a better team see his hesistation return?
*Clinton Jones racked up 21 disposals and was quite creative with his hanballs. will greater pressure see him flonder?

*Charlie was good.....can he earn us much ball againsta tighter Carts backline?

*X man was very good as full time mid. Can he do this again?

etc[/quote
will also be interesting to see if gram gets any time on the ball, same with gilbert. With geary pushing for selection we could afford to switch one of these two into the midfield rotation

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
The Peanut
Club Player

Re: So, a win over the Cats this week will mean what??

yipper wrote:Will the lid come off already!!?? :lol: or will it just be the NAB crap cup and mean nothing? From a marketing perspective - it will be like liquid gold with membership sales going right off and merchandise etc. crowds will flock to see the re-invigorated saints strut their stuff at the Dome!!

But, the most important result - will be for the players I reckon. Confidence - when this team has it, they are very, very good. They will get another shot in the arm from a win over the Cats - without a bevy of stars. There are players playing for spots in the team - even careers. There will be plenty of upside to a NAB cup win this weekend. If we lose, then no harm done as well in real terms - although the marketing team will gnash their teeth at an opportunity lost.
Exactly
I reckon our players are the most confident I can ever remember but the Cats rightful confidence is starting to smell of a slight hint of arrogance in the press reports this week. - Bring it on.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It's all relative.

If we get pumped and show that we can't handle the pressure, i'll be disappointed.

But if we try hard, keep up the effort and pressure, we will at least lose narrowly.

Our team has more best 22 players missing than theirs, and they're coming off a premiership, and a bigger win. It's only logical that they should be favourites to win.

However, regardless of a win or loss.

Gram will get a run.
Harvey, Raph and King will be rested.
Geary, Miles, Eddy, Armitage will get a game against some of the best mids (Sadly no Ablett or Bartel) and small forwards in the competition, expect Miles to play on S. Johnson for a portion of tomorrow's game.

As above, can the players who stood up last week, do so again under a high pressure situation. Richmond played very loose, whether that was their gameplan i've no idea, but it sure didn't work against us.

yipper
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:. Richmond played very loose, whether that was their gameplan i've no idea, but it sure didn't work against us.
Don't think even Terry Wallet knows what the Richmond gameplan is!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:Don't think even Terry Wallet knows what the Richmond gameplan is!!
The David King interview showed that it was pretty clear they had no gameplan.

stkfc1
Club Player

Comparing the team they're putting on the park compared to ours,if we're still in it at 3/4 time i will be :D I agree with Miles down back, Grammy should get a run in the mid (If fitness allows) or even at hff.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
yipper wrote:Don't think even Terry Wallet knows what the Richmond gameplan is!!
The David King interview showed that it was pretty clear they had no gameplan.
"Sucking" is not counted as a game plan, then? :wink: :lol:

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

That depends what the game is, Ric.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Wallace is hiding his gamplan. It's obvious. He's waiting for the right time to unleash the tiger...roar...!!

Richmond will make the finals this year.

aussiejones
Club Player

Dont get too cocky about a win......

Richmond with no game plan = no opposition ..so discount last week
except ..the boys got a run , half our side was out

Just hope for no injuries and a good sustained effort

i would be happy with that.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

us with a gameplan and no players, vs richmond with players and no gameplan.

Shows that the idiom of a champion team beating a team of champions still holds true in the current day of AFL.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

small forwards in the competition, expect Miles to play on S. Johnson for a portion of tomorrow's game.
Johnson is being rested along with Ottens and Bartel...
[/quote]

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Oh well, perhaps he can visit him in the stands for a chat, maybe even give him a lift home from the game.

esaint66
SS Life Member

i think it will do wonders for the confidence of the players no matter what side geelong put on the park. it will give the players the believe that yes we are an afl side and they can and will beat any team on any given day in the comp.

plus it will get those people in victoria who are unsure about signing up with us this season to think yes im supporting an emmerging talent here and i should be a apart of it plus as a little bonus our first 5 games are at the dome. :wink:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to win - it would ensure a return to the Dome, another competitive hitout, and could be worth 1500 or so memberships alone. Not to mention the money.

I won't lose sleep if we lose but I'd really like us to advance.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

yipper
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:I'd like to win - it would ensure a return to the Dome, another competitive hitout, and could be worth 1500 or so memberships alone. Not to mention the money.

I won't lose sleep if we lose but I'd really like us to advance.
Yep. My thoughts exactly - just not at the expense of Rd. 1. So continue to monitor our guns and not risk anyone, at the same time ensuring everyone is fit and ready by March 22nd.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I think everyone is on the money, considering their outs it should be an interesting match, both teams will be missing about 10 starting 22 players, maybe a couple less for Geelong but still, should be good to see how both teams reserves are developing...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:I think everyone is on the money, considering their outs it should be an interesting match, both teams will be missing about 10 starting 22 players, maybe a couple less for Geelong but still, should be good to see how both teams reserves are developing...
They are missing 10 from the GF side so they are missing at least 10 plus Egan so it is very even.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:I think everyone is on the money, considering their outs it should be an interesting match, both teams will be missing about 10 starting 22 players, maybe a couple less for Geelong but still, should be good to see how both teams reserves are developing...
They are missing 10 from the GF side so they are missing at least 10 plus Egan so it is very even.
Jeez, I didn't realise it was that many, you should also take out King though, so it's 10 players, but still that's quite a bit, I was thinking more like 7 or 8 players...

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

if we win or get within say a couple of goals, it will mean that our depth is the best its been in my memory and we will be genuine contenders this year

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

In my opinion as long as we play hard like we did last week, the skills are good and the players look like they have improved I could care less about the result.............if it was anyone else. I HATE the Cats with a violent passion and I hope we give them a good old hammering. But having said THAT its still a televised practice game with half a senior side so it could go either way.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum