Armitage and mini

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Armitage and mini

will be a player if he continues developing at this rate.

a lot of folks were chewing out the recruiting for getting him last year, but he really looks the goods.

yes i know preseason form, yada yada, but he looks the goods IMO.

the question i have is can mini turn it around?

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
dalboy
Club Player

nope

Happiness is a warm pie!
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Armitage and mini

Dan Warna wrote:the question i have is can mini turn it around?
He's got a whole season playing for the Scorpions to prove it (barring any long-term injuries to the Senior List.)

Time will tell.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Nup.

McQualter doesn't have the assets. No pace, strength, kicking penetration, height or goal kicking ability.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Nup.

McQualter doesn't have the assets. No pace, strength, kicking penetration, height or goal kicking ability.
same was said about burke...

Im of the opinion the discipline, will power and courage of a person can make up for a lot.

would harvey have been the player he was if he didn't work so damn hard?

Im sure he would have grifted 200 odd games and kicked a few bags on the HFF on his talent, but as is, he is going down as one of the all time greats because of who he is and how he used his talent.

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:will be a player if he continues developing at this rate.

a lot of folks were chewing out the recruiting for getting him last year, ?
?????? were they????

I mainly remember a strong push (hope) that he play in the seniors and then a diasappointment when it became evident that his fitness was no where near good enough to actually do this.

Remember the wraps on him when he was recruited was that he was "ready to play"...and so this was probably part of that disapointment.

It would appear that over Summer that he has knuckled under and greatly improved his fitness.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:It would appear that over Summer that he has knuckled under and greatly improved his fitness.

from what i remember at training during the preseason Armitage looked to partner up with Lenny for everything. I would imagine its a tutor program and I have no doubt Lenny's leadership would be a very valuable thing for Armo

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:

Im of the opinion the discipline, will power and courage of a person can make up for a lot.

Im sure he would have grifted 200 odd games and kicked a few bags on the HFF on his talent, but as is, he is going down as one of the all time greats because of who he is and how he used his talent.
I saw Burke kicks goals from 50m. McQualter doesn't have the penetration to do that. And McQualter doesn't kick goals.

Burke had strength and could hold himself over the ball. McQualter gets pushed aside.

Harvey's running ability, agility, vision, ball-winning ability, football smarts and kicking ability weren't as a result of hard work.

McQualter doesn't have it.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

no one has

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

very few players IMO worked as hard at burke and harvey.

one criticism of harvey is he has only two paces, stop and go. by the 4th quarter when everyone else has stopped, harvey still has go...

as for skill, plenty of players with skill ahve fallen by the wayside because they didn't put in the hard yards.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

McQualter has put in the hard yards.

He hasn't improved.

I wasn't trying to say he should be like Harvey or Burke. They were champions.

McQualter lacks some basic tools. Hard work can overcome what is lacking. But it hasn't in McQualter's case.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:McQualter has put in the hard yards.

He hasn't improved.

McQualter lacks some basic tools. Hard work can overcome what is lacking. But it hasn't in McQualter's case.
fair enough.

why then has he gone backwards? in his early development he was kicking goals, gathering effective possessions and laying tackles.?

SHUT UP KRIME!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I think is the fact he lost the mo, He's like samson.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I hope mini does make it....And I think he has the credentials to do so....

I love he intensity within the packs....But sadly as shown last year, he is definitely behind others at the club.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:McQualter has put in the hard yards.

He hasn't improved.

fair enough.

why then has he gone backwards? in his early development he was kicking goals, gathering effective possessions and laying tackles.?
Good question.

Poor development? Being played out of position? Down on confidence?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:

I saw Burke kicks goals from 50m. McQualter doesn't have the penetration to do that. And McQualter doesn't kick goals.

Burke had strength and could hold himself over the ball. McQualter gets pushed aside.

Harvey's running ability, agility, vision, ball-winning ability, football smarts and kicking ability weren't as a result of hard work.

McQualter doesn't have it.

harvey as playing for the saints when he was sixteen.......puts and end to that argument.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Armitage seems to be developing into the player we all wanted him to be in 2007. As soon as I saw him in the intra club game it was obvious that he had immense talent and mongrel, but he was simply not fit enough for the faster pace of AFL footy. He now seems to be able to keep up and is gaining confidence.

McQualter would have been a 200 game rover in the 90's. His strengths are: Ball-winning, tackling, attack on the footy, good decision-making and reliable disposal. Weaknesses are: Lack of height and strength, shattered confidence, inability to kick 40+ meters.

If he got his confidence back (B&F at Casey), was elevated to the senior list and given time in the seniors in 2008 I think he would be good for 17 disposals and 4 tackles a game, but I think Lyon would rather invest time in players with more pace and versatility. IMO he is only on the rookie list this year as backup in case we lose a chunk of our starting midfield.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Armitage seems to be developing into the player we all wanted him to be in 2007. As soon as I saw him in the intra club game it was obvious that he had immense talent and mongrel, but he was simply not fit enough for the faster pace of AFL footy. He now seems to be able to keep up and is gaining confidence.

McQualter would have been a 200 game rover in the 90's. His strengths are: Ball-winning, tackling, attack on the footy, good decision-making and reliable disposal. Weaknesses are: Lack of height and strength, shattered confidence, inability to kick 40+ meters.

If he got his confidence back (B&F at Casey), was elevated to the senior list and given time in the seniors in 2008 I think he would be good for 17 disposals and 4 tackles a game, but I think Lyon would rather invest time in players with more pace and versatility. IMO he is only on the rookie list this year as backup in case we lose a chunk of our starting midfield.
much as I like mini, I think i speak for all of us in saying I don't want to see him in the seniors this year, because before anyone says im slagging him off, for those patently missing the obvious, i don't want to see a major injury to a senior player.

that said I hope he does earn a shot in the seniors next year.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Armitage seems to be developing into the player we all wanted him to be in 2007. As soon as I saw him in the intra club game it was obvious that he had immense talent and mongrel, but he was simply not fit enough for the faster pace of AFL footy. He now seems to be able to keep up and is gaining confidence.

If he got his confidence back (B&F at Casey), was elevated to the senior list and given time in the seniors in 2008 I think he would be good for 17 disposals and 4 but I think Lyon would rather invest time in players with more pace an tackles a game,d versatility. IMO he is only on the rookie list this year as backup in case we lose a chunk of our starting midfield.
much as I like mini, I think i speak for all of us in saying I don't want to see him in the seniors this year, because before anyone says im slagging him off, for those patently missing the obvious, i don't want to see a major injury to a senior player.

that said I hope he does earn a shot in the seniors next year.
i dont think he will be on the list next year......

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I loved the coaching by Lyon last night. Had Dal and Joey on the HFF all night and ran our lesser lights and Harvs and Ball through the centre.

What an experience for Armo to have Harvey next to him for all of the 4th qtr last night.

You cannot by an experience like that especially in a close game. I reckon Armo would have learnt more in one qtr last night than in all his AFL andpre season games combined.

Capped it off by scoring the winning goal. Not a hard goal to score but still it had to be done.

I think the coach can take a bow with his handlong of the kids so far in this campaign.

I think we may have a little beauty in Armo.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

I've been a big RL fan since he joined us, and I am even more so now.

One thing he has stuffed up though IMO is McQualter.

Played him as a tagger/defensive onballer last year and it killed his confidence and progress.

Struggled even when he went back to the Scorps.

McQualter's first year with us was better than his next two. There's something wrong when that happens.

Our development of kids is very good normally ... certainly better than some clubs.

But something went wrong with Mini, who IMO probably should have made it.

And it's partly RL's fault.

But I still love RL :)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:I've been a big RL fan since he joined us, and I am even more so now.

One thing he has stuffed up though IMO is McQualter.

Played him as a tagger/defensive onballer last year and it killed his confidence and progress.

Struggled even when he went back to the Scorps.

McQualter's first year with us was better than his next two. There's something wrong when that happens.

Our development of kids is very good normally ... certainly better than some clubs.

But something went wrong with Mini, who IMO probably should have made it.

And it's partly RL's fault.

But I still love RL :)
Im not sure 1 season played as a tagger constitutes the demise of a career....theres so much more to it than that.Infact, I still think Mqualter is an ideal type for a run with role - lets face it hes hardly what youd term an "attacking" midfielder. If Mqualter is smart hed realise Lyon gave him an insight into prolonging his career....he should take the challenge and build an offensive side later.

And yep - Lyon can coach.

“Yeah….nah””
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

OWTS,
Ya hit it on the head when you pointed out his 2 years subsequent his first were not as good as his first.. De Boss has only had him for one. Mini's got no tricks. Not quite big enough, not quite strong enough, not quite quick enough, not quite enough penetration with his foot disposal, not quite enough tackling strength. He's just unfortunate from the DNA standpoint.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
villasaint
Club Player

Mini's decision making is terrible. When he gets the ball he takes to long to make up to decide what he is going to do with it. Thats his worst trait.

smasherini
Club Player

I am a fan of Armitage,He can play and most importantly he has the temperement required for AFL.I was very impressed when he was intervied sraight after the game against Essendon.He was composed,concentrated on the team game and showed no sign of stage fright.I feel we can expect big things from him over time.