Time for sanity

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Time for sanity

Dear All,
Just a request....
Pretty disappointed with the slaying of some of our players by users of this forum - the usual suspects of course.
Raph Clarke, Rixy and Fiora mostly - for a team that won some of it is pretty vitriolic - mistakes are made and not every player is perfect but some rationality would be good.
While I am at it, how about we get away from calling Fiora, "Fiona" - an old Tiggers name and we surely don't want to be likened with them....unless you are willing to call him Fiona to his face of course.
Judgement of players in the NAD Cup is an inexact science - don't get carried away with the "he's no good" or the "champion" stuff, let's wait to see who the selction panel think are in our best 22 and judge them from there.
It has been great to have the same coaching staff two years in a row and they know the players really well by now....maybe even better than us. Opinions about who is better are great, but the nasty personal stuff has no place.
How many people thought two years ago Gilbert the Grape was a skinny draft semi-smokie who would never make it? Too many I am sure but now he is a club favourite. BTW, he played well enough last night - compare the build of him and Lucas...
Another positive...anyone think that the Saints could beat any team with our three talls out at the back - Fisher, Max, Goose and our three major forwards, G, Kosi and Roo (out in the last quarter?).
Pretty impressive stuff.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
Lennon
Club Player

Good post.

The Fiona stuff pisses me off also.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

While were on nicknames I heard some supporters calling M Gardner "Underbelly", what do ya think? :wink:

Before Im 85
Solar
Saintsational Legend

agree but also disagree

agree that the use of fiona is annoying at best

but if you actually read most of the comments they were all based on the current form both players have shown. For a senior player with lots of young midfielders breathing down his neck he showed no physical pressence, his attack on the ball was no existance and did not even look interested. I'm fine with players making mistakes early in the season but its the little things that need to be done, right, look at ball when he came on.

Rix is just struggling, cannot mark, cannot kick, struggles down back and has been over taken by king, a half fit gardiner and kosi. Will struggle to play a lot of games, especially if mcenvoy starts making an impact.

Both are not in my round 1 team and I would be suprised if the coaches did not feel the same.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I hate people calling Fiora Fiona...

Rix is genuinely one of the nicest guys going around.

I am sure that he has been thrilled to have been able to play AFL football...and to have racked up some AFL games.

This year he will serve us loyally in case of injury to Gardo or King...and he is still a better option than the young McEvoy and probably VR as well.

however King and Gardi and both >>>>>>>>>> than Rix and so senior football is going to bwa rare thing for him in 2008.

I am not going to denigrate Rix or hurl abuse at him....but football has always had a peckking order...and current at the saints Rix has two ruckmen clearly about him.

Fizz I have always hada soft spot for and I was mightly pleased that he hada good year last year.

however recruiting and young guys blooming means that the bar has been raied in 2008 and that Fizz is going to have to playa little better than in 2007 to make the best 22.

Currently in the NAB he has been quiet....however it is the NAB. Geary and Armo are snapping at his spot...and this is healthy.

Raph is getting the ball well enough but his decision making and disposal is currently lacking. Blake is now a better option down back. Raph has talent in droves but he needs to really work on his execution.

Things are going well at the saints..very well.

Player conditioning seems to be on the up and up...

Recruiting in one year has I believe been just about our best ever...except for say the "Blight effect year"

Player development is churning along and now with rookies being given proper attention in two drafts we are already clearly seeing the benefits.

There is alot going right at the Saints....but one of the consequences of this is that players in 2008 are going to have to deliver more if they want to be playing in the seniors....and this too is a very good thing.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time for sanity

CeilidhSaint wrote:Dear All,

Another positive...anyone think that the Saints could beat any team with our three talls out at the back - Fisher, Max, Goose and our three major forwards, G, Kosi and Roo (out in the last quarter?).
Pretty impressive stuff.
Good point.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Agreed - competition for spots is key.
If some aren't up to it, that's footy. No matter who they are and how nice they are.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
yipper
SS Life Member

Yeah top post. Plenty of "experts" on here well qualified to comment on AFL listed players!! :roll:

Rix is courageous and trying his guts out, Fiora is a good footballer struggling for early season form after having a very good 2007 season and Raph and others are all working hard at being consistent St.Kilda footballers. I'm quite sure the coaching team knows who can and can't on our list and will select teams accordingly. Stop with the personal abuse of our players and the insults. We are in the NAB cup series and all our players are being given a chance to show what they've got. Some are doing very well at the minute - others are struggling. So!!?? It's not our place to insult them or denigrate them in any way. Leave them be and let the coaching team determine our best 22.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saint-stu
Club Player

Well said. I am a fan of any player who wears the red, white and black.

Are we supporters or critics?

We need to be careful not to turn into Richmond!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i would have put Rix ahead of Fiora and Raph tonight, certainly no worse, and you probably wouldn't expect him to have the same skill level as those two

but theres 24 players out there, and there will always have to be the number 1 player, and the number 24 player, not everyone can be best on every week

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
TwoTowers
Club Player

Was Rix that bad? From the Age match report I quote 'acting skipper Scott Lucas well held by Michael Rix'.

I believe Fiora is making too many mistakes but the coach will know what to do. He does not deserve the flogging he gets.

It is satisfying though that after years of hearing Jason Blake get ridiculed, and years of posting to support him, people might now realise why he is one of the first picked in our team. Yesterday though, on this forum someone still rubbished him while saying that he had played a good game. Its hard for some people to admit they were wrong.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Lennon wrote:Good post.

The Fiona stuff pisses me off also.

yep.......pretty disgusting actually.....but i am guilty of saying that rix has no place in a senior afl team...that's my view and i'm sticking to it......have never criticised fiora or raph.....ever.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
mischa
Club Player

Good OP. Speaking of which one Jason Blake was good again!