should Roo play FF if his knee is niggly??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

should Roo play FF if his knee is niggly??

Well we all know that Roo still has something wrong with his knee...

To what exrent we do not know, how long it will be a problem...but it has been flagged as tendonitis. So it would seem that it may be niggling away fora while.

So if this is likely to keep being aggravated over the season perhaps it might be wise to lesson the load by reducing the amount of run that he would normally perform ina game?

So with this in perhaps Roo should mainly be played as a full forward, or at least at the start of the year?

Charlie good form as a push up forward also means that Roo is less required in this role.

Add to this that close to goal that Roo is actually quite an accurate kick at goal....

In addition Kosi is a good shot froma long way out....

So play Kosi at CHF....

GTrain in the pocket....and asa decoy and to do the hard body work.

Charlie to do all the hard running off a HFF...up into the midfield and even backline ...

Milne to crumb...with either Schneider or Jones the other small forward.

I believe Roo can be a very damaging FF...one that will lead out often and deep...but where the amount of running will be less than if he was playing CHF.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ben_fff
Club Player

Roo could play full forward much the same way that Jonathon Brown does, I like the idea of Kosi at CHF in the more traditional role.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

If in doubt, leave him out.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

linz
Club Player

He seemed to be moving around the ground OK. It was reported on SEN that he winced in pain whenever he kicked the ball. Maybe he'll be looking for more handballing rather than kicking options as a result. Having said that maybe we should rest him until Round 1 if it improves the condition.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

if hes in that much pain dont play him - just get through the real stuff.

“Yeah….nah””
Munga
Saintsational Legend

I thought he shouldn't have played this week. Knees are bitches, rest is needed. The guy is the fittest at the club, he doesn't need these silly games to get fit.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

If De Boss reckons he can play, that'll do me. It's a chronic problem, not an acute problem. He would've wanted to play, his wishes must be respected. It'll have to be managed, but playing tonight won't do him any harm. Like everyone else he needs time on the park. He got it tonight and will be better for the gallop (note how many marks he spilt).

He has now got a list that can help him through a sore knee. Charlie can help him with the hit up stuff, and Frase and Kosi can help him with the mismatches.

It's all good.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i like plugger66's suggestion of fraser ff, riewoldt chf and kosi playing a jonathon brown role in between the two.

I'd add charlie gardiner on a flank beside roo to further lessen our dependence on him.

riewoldt's greatest strength is his tank. he's at his best when he's able to use his pace and endurance to burn players off and present on the lead.

he's at his worst when caught underneath a high ball surrounded by opponents as he would be all too often at ff.

i shuddered when he got absolutely pole-axed in a couple of contested marking situations on friday night and really just had my fingers crossed that he would get up.

i agree with everton that if roo is not fit then he shouldn't be out there under any circumstances. he did look proppy and he needs to get that knee right
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 02 Mar 2008 1:10am, edited 2 times in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:If in doubt, leave him out.
Yep...

If he goes down, so does our season.

Arguably the most important player in the comp imo....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

I'd like our chances of covering Roo more than Brisbane would like their chances of covering one J.Brown.

But, anyway, it won't come to that. Tendonitis is not life threatening. He'll cope with it. He'll need a bit of help, and we have that capability now. And, yeah, he does have a weaker record in one on one, stationary contests. But, don't take last night as the guide. Next time we play the same mob, do ya reckon Kosi and Frase might cause a rethink, matchup wise? Ah, the beauty of having a triumvirate of dirty great big buggers who can all move about and have differing strenghts.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Ah, the beauty of having a triumvirate of dirty great big buggers who can all move about and have differing strengths
:lol: The 3 Divas