Best on-field whack

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ctqs
Club Player

Best on-field whack

Prompted by an earlier posting where I was asking if anyone had vision of Lazar whacking half of Freo in a pre-season cup game :lol: it got me thinking about a few others I'd seen over the years.
I remember one behind play when Robbie Mace actually king hit some Footscray player who tried something underhanded shortly before but didn't do a good enough job because Mace got up and hooked him to the side of the head when the ball was down the other end of the ground. I was standing near the cheersquad at Moorabbin at the time. It would've been about 1983.

Some Richmond mongrel jobbed Frankie Coghlan behind play and got away with it because nobody else was looking.

Plugger .. well, enough said there, really. Though throwing one of the Cordy brothers into the fence at Moorabbin on his way to 15 goals still brings a smile to the face, as does "shrug" on Guy McKenna. I'm still crapped off about that suspension, though.

Nicky kneed Brereton in the goolies, but I think that was after some racial abuse.

Stewie Loewe was the master of the low swining arm in boundary throw-ins which would accidentally result in a forearm across an opposition ruckman's head. :lol:

Gavin Mitchell ironing out James Hird by jumping off the ground and getting his shoulder into Hird's head. :lol:

Others?

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
esaint66
SS Life Member

the best on field hit?

easy robbie muirs hit against carlton at moorabbin.
cant remember the fellas name he hit but he tap him on the shoulder/head and robbie just turned around and thumped him.

now that would make a top avatar :D :lol:

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Robbie Mace also fixed up Damian Drum down at the Cow Shed one day. Drum was running around playing the tough man until Macey fixed him up. Drum went off wimpering and the Saints went on to win a rare game down there. circa 1984.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Best on-field whack

ctqs wrote:Plugger .. well, enough said there, really. Though throwing one of the Cordy brothers into the fence at Moorabbin on his way to 15 goals still brings a smile to the face, as does "shrug" on Guy McKenna. I'm still crapped off about that suspension, though.
Peter Caven's face?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

In recent times, Bakes' 4 week effort on Mark Coughlan in 05 (?) was pretty spectacular

Milney in that "1/4 time brawl" game v the Bulldogs in 03 cleaned up someone with an elbow did he not..or was it the week before v Geelong?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

What about the old Richmond hag who poured a hot thermos of coffee over Glenn Browns head as he was picking the ball out of the gutter at Moorabbin.

Plugger holding down Ricky Kennedy's head with one hand and pounding it with the other. Happy Days.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
esaint66
SS Life Member

Selhurst Saint wrote:What about the old Richmond hag who poured a hot thermos of coffee over Glenn Browns head as he was picking the ball out of the gutter at Moorabbin.

hope she was taken out by one of our female fans :)
would have paid extra for that.

or did brown take care of it himself?

yipper
SS Life Member

Match against the Bummers in 1978 at Moorabbin when Big Carl, Sidey, Pup Sarau and Robbie Muir went on a crash and bash mission was pretty spectacular. We won, quite a few Bummers were seeing stars after the game but then their president came out in the press and squealed and wailed like a stuck pig to spoil our very intimidating run we had going. Never forgiven the whingers for that.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

saint edward wrote:
Selhurst Saint wrote:What about the old Richmond hag who poured a hot thermos of coffee over Glenn Browns head as he was picking the ball out of the gutter at Moorabbin.

hope she was taken out by one of our female fans :)
would have paid extra for that.

or did brown take care of it himself?
I think she got away with it. We only read it in the paper the next day. Injuries-"Brown-Scolded Ear".

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Plugger "hugging" Brad Fox at Moorabbin one day. I swear the guy went purple! :shock:

The day Frase went nuts in Tassie was pretty awesome, too!

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Hit (punch)

Banks on rhys-jones

Bump

Magro on jezza

saint4life
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

no fotage of it but bakes hit on farmer would be a pearler just because who was involved i think only dockers fans didnt grin when that seagull farmer was helped off the ground

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

mal brown...the day he dropped about a half dozen carscum footballers.........i could watch that footage all day.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Dale Kickett vs the Eagles was a pretty sight to behold.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:Dale Kickett vs the Eagles was a pretty sight to behold.
hehehe yeah pavlova vs gardi pavlova look like he was going to cry !!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saint_mite
SS Hall of Fame

When Hamill got Aka in 05 well... it was magical I guess. Ball was running from the center with the ball, Aka chasing, then in comes Hamill from the other direction... wam bam thank you ma'am
He sure was good for something :)

saintm
Club Player

saint_mite wrote:When Hamill got Aka in 05 well... it was magical I guess. Ball was running from the center with the ball, Aka chasing, then in comes Hamill from the other direction... wam bam thank you ma'am
He sure was good for something :)
I liked that one too, saint_mite. :)

Aka was still going crook about it the following Thursday night when they were both panellists on The Footy Show!!

Snakeman66
Club Player

saint edward wrote:the best on field hit?

cant remember the fellas name he hit but he tap him on the shoulder/head and robbie just turned around and thumped him.

Dennis Collins!!!!!!!!

Here it is.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Can't remember who it was against, but Wow Jones whacked someone in the middle of a pack at Moorabbin, outer-side half-foward, South Rd end.
Actually saw the swinging arm under the pack and outline of the bloke in the pack as he lifted into the air before finishing face down in disneyland. I think he got rubbed out for it, but it was an awesome hit.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Snakeman66 wrote:

Dennis Collins!!!!!!!!

Here it is.

Just goes to show how much the games changed. How many weeks would a player get for that now? 12? 14? 16?

esaint66
SS Life Member

Snakeman66 wrote:

Dennis Collins!!!!!!!!

Here it is.

thanks mate, but how would i make that into and avatar (dont any of you get any funny ideas. :lol: )

happy feet
Club Player

The best hit ever

My Dad turns 85 the week after next. He used to work on the gate at the Jnuction Oval and then at Moorabbin for many years. He probably saw just about every Saints home game between about 1950 to 1998. He reckons that the best legitimate hit ever dished out on the field was the day that Eric Guy shirt fronted Bobby Skilton. He said that the Swans crowd were that incensed that the coach (either Jeans or Killagrew) took Eric Guy off in the last quarter for his own safety.

In his humble opinion he also thinks Eric Guy was one of the toughest footballers and man that he had ever met.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:In recent times, Bakes' 4 week effort on Mark Coughlan in 05 (?) was pretty spectacular
Wasn't it Kain Johnson who head butted Bakes fist !!

Snakeman66
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
saint66au wrote:In recent times, Bakes' 4 week effort on Mark Coughlan in 05 (?) was pretty spectacular
Wasn't it Kain Johnson who head butted Bakes fist !!
Yep. Just after Jason Blake cushioned Greg Staffords knee with his back while laying on the ground.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Robbie Mace also fixed up Damian Drum down at the Cow Shed one day. Drum was running around playing the tough man until Macey fixed him up. Drum went off wimpering and the Saints went on to win a rare game down there. circa 1984.
Was also at that game and was amazed to see it happen. Macey just sidled up to Drum as the ball was kicked down the other end and whacked him.

Loved through the 80's going to Moorabbin just to see who Burnsy and Joffa would whack. Can remember Greg Burns doing something to Dippa's ear and treading on David Palm's (Richmond) head in the mud heap. Even remember my namesake hitting Terry Wheeler when it was extremely fashionable. Wheeler had squirrel gripped him to prompt that reaction.