2007 and Inuries - Saints good to finish 9th

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

2007 and Inuries - Saints good to finish 9th

If you look at the injury stats for most clubs in 2007, you can see why some finished near the top.

The most fortunate was Hawthorn, who had 13 players who played every game, or just missed one game. Another 3 players missed just two games.

North Melbourne had 10 players who played every game, and amazingly, all but one of their midfielders played every game. The only one to miss out was Wells, who missed 4 games.

Sydney, for whom it was considered to be a bad year injury-wise compared to previous years, had 13 players who played every game.

Below is a list of the number of games missed by 11 of the top 12 players from each club. The reason I have excluded the 12th player is that in most cases it's a player who has basically missed most or nearly all the season, such as Goddard and Nathan Thompson. Their absences were problematic, but not as problematic as the disruptive week to week changes caused by the other injuries.

Teams and games missed by 11 of the top 12 players in each team.

I haven't included Melbourne and Fremantle because I got sick of adding it up by the time I got to those teams.

North Melbourne 12
Hawthorn 13
Geelong 15
Port Adelaide 16
Sydney 17
Collingwood 18
Adelaide 20
Carlton 23
Essendon 23
Brisbane 25
Richmond 26
Bulldogs 34
West Coast 34
St Kilda 44

You can see quite a strong correlation between the level of injuries and the end of year ladder position in relation to most teams. You can see that the Saints and West Coast did well considering where thay stand in relation to games lost by their top 12.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Certainly tells a tale, there were also some games Luke Ball just shouldn't have been playing either.....I think Melbourne would be right up there also....good effort cwrcyn, but how long did that take you?

Nee!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Very interesting stat...just curious..what criteria did you use to determine the Top 12 players?

Nice work :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Extremely interesting analysis.

Would love you to post it on BigFooty and see the reaction 8-)

Shows how well we did last year considering ....

It would not be possible IMO to have another year with as bad a run of injures ('06/'05 weren't as bad IMO).

So on that basis we should improve from 9th through player availability alone.

How much we improve could depend largely on how many more of our players are available for longer periods.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Top 12 are pretty obvious at most clubs. It was only a struggle with Geelong really. You realise just how even their list is, and how much quality there is in their best 22. It's no wonder their turn came. I could have put 15 into 12 easily.

Surprisingly, it didn't take as long as I thought it would. I got all the info off the Sunday Age Footy 2008 magazine from 16/3. It only takes about 3 minutes per team to do all the sums.

I always suspected North Melbourne had a dream run. It also gives Hawthorn's season a bit more perspective. Gee, those teams surely couldn't have it better than that in 2008.

Ross Lyon would be well aware of where we sat, and he'd be a lot more confident this year, as we all are. we deserve more than a pinch of luck.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Amazing that the most under resourced club in the AFL should have the least injuries!
Could it be that doing it tough and rough is better than doing it soft and easy.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Boys even though i love those stats.....and they do speak alot.....this year I dont wana be one of the teams making excuses.....

I wana be the team every1 else says;

"If we had a great run with no injuries every week like they do, we'd be up the top of the ladder to"

I'm sick of been the team making excuses guys.....I just wana play our best 22 against another clubs best 22.....i'd love it to be geelong and beat them straight up.....our best 22 vs their best 22

Thats what i wana see.....sure we've had a bad run of injuries.....but it doesn't help when your bench players or 2nd tier players are not good enough to fills the voids left by those injuries.

Hence forcing the players back alot sooner that they really should be.

Gentlemen i honestly believe this is our year,,,,,but if injuries do come back to haunt us, touch wood, let us not complain.

It's just bad luck. :?