Punishment idea for crap goalkicking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Punishment idea for crap goalkicking

Like all Saints fans that watched the shambles at TD on Saturday night, I was disgusted at our pathetic goalkicking.

6.15 is a deadset joke!

How's this for an idea:

- for every player that our coaching staffers believes missed a "gimmie" goal (defined as a goal that you should get in more than 90% of attempts), they should have to have the exact shot position wise at training.

They should attempt the shot 5 times, and if there are any misses, then say 100 pushups, or a few extra laps of Moorabbin as punishment.

Given that the goal missed was deemed a "gimmie", the player in question should have no trouble in a training environment slotting it 5 consecutive times.

Something needs to be done - nothing though can replicate a real match environment though.....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saintgaz
Club Player

Maybe they could pay every fan who watched (after hearing the score I didn't bother) $1 for every monty that's missed?

One day it's all got to be worth it.
Right????
ace
Saintsational Legend

You don't achieve anything with punishment.
Alex Jesaulenko tried that with a team of triers and all he got to show for it was more loses.
The truth is these guys haven't been alive long enough to know what they are doing wrong.
They have the talent, now they need to be taught the skills that they never learnt in junior football.
Just look at how many players get corralled against the boundary or kick inside out just because they can't kick with both feet.
If they all were taught to kick properly for goal and with both feet, they would all be stars.

My brother in law coaches junior soccer. He claims that only 15% of the best U/14 soccer players can play equally well with both feet.
That limits which side of the ground they can play on.
I think the percentage of AFL listed players is even lower.
Is it any wonder that Gehrig prefers to lead to the right forward pocket.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Punishment idea for crap goalkicking

so much of it comes down to pressure.

it's like in golf when you have to make a two foot putt to win your round. most guys just cannot do it consistently.

all you can do is work on your technique at training and get it as good as you can.

but putting it into practice under real match condititions is another thing all together.

like in golf so much of it comes down to confidence ... unless you are a lockett. the more pressure he was under the more likely he'd be to kick it.

it's one of the qualities that sets champions apart from very good players.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I've posted this idea in another thread on goal kicking...

In addition to the technique work (which is crucial), players need to practice kicking set shots when they are buggered.

Make players lead 4 or 5 times to get the heart rate up and then take the set shot. It's no good nailing them when you're calm and breathing easy. It needs to be done when you're gasping for air and only have 30 seconds to line the goals up and nail the shot.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:I've posted this idea in another thread on goal kicking...

In addition to the technique work (which is crucial), players need to practice kicking set shots when they are buggered.

Make players lead 4 or 5 times to get the heart rate up and then take the set shot. It's no good nailing them when you're calm and breathing easy. It needs to be done when you're gasping for air and only have 30 seconds to line the goals up and nail the shot.
Exactly!!

Make em run to Brighton Beach and back before practising set shots

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
hAyES
Club Player

We need to do SOMETHING about this because it's going to cost us games this year, and almost did on Saturday. Kosi in particular had the same shot about 2 or 3 times from about 50 and missed all of them.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

ace wrote: Is it any wonder that Gehrig prefers to lead to the right forward pocket.
The frustrating thing is, that even though Fraser might have a preference, even on his ''wrong'' side he is probably still a better chance than a lot of other shots on goal for our team.

Carpe Diem
esaint66
SS Life Member

maybe ross should just let them have half the oval to kick goals until they can kick from anywhere.

or play around the world :lol:

Batnoe

This wont solve anything

no one would want to kick for goal

i just say practice it without the punishment, but practice it with full presure at training

no use practicing goal with no one near you when that isnt what happens in a game scenario

We used to wear our mouth guard at training because you play with a mouth guard, you may as well get used to it in your mouth.....

Same with kicking, they have to practice with 4 or 5 guys around them in traffic, otherwise they will miss....