gurnsey type for friday.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

gurnsey type for friday.

So its a away game. Does that mean we have to wear that god awful POS white joke? Or can we wear traditional because there isnt a clash? Or is there a clash?

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Personally, I think there is no clash, but knowing the AFL, they will probably force us into wearing that white dodgy strip. I don't see the clash, even though we both have white numbers, the Bulldogs have a bright blue colour on their backs which doesn't really clash with black.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing that red training strip of ours modified a bit and turned into a clash strip - I'm a huge fan!

The Saints are coming!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I fear the same. And anything has to be better than the embarassment we wear at the moment. Thankfully, I think next year it can be changed.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I think there is a bit of clash, so I'd prefer us in the clash strip - I'd prefer us to have a crappy looking strip on than one that looks good but clashes!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 9:19am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:However, I wouldn't mind seeing that red training strip of ours modified a bit and turned into a clash strip - I'm a huge fan

agree, the red's a lot better than the woos white one. so what is the ruling? does anyone have a definitive answer on what we'll be wearing?

esaint66
SS Life Member

Well its rivalry round and we are looking at the past and i cant remember the sainst wearing this jumper in our clashes in the 70's 80's and 90's when we were the battling clubs.

hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

I think the AFL are not strict enough, when there are team colour clashes. There are so many games when it is hard to tell teams apart. Some teams have so many colours such as Brisbane, Adelaide and Fremantle in their guernseys that there is bound to be a clash. Even the plainer guernseys can clash. Last year the round 15 Geelong v Collingwood game was ruined as the navy blue hoops don't stay horizontal and black stripes don't stay vertical in a competitive game, players become indistinguishable.
There should be no trace of any colours repeated on either team. Maybe don't go as far as olympic boxing with a red vest v blue vest, but a bit more uniformity with plain tops for the away team, without stupid patterns such as crows, lions kangaroos and faded crosses accross the top.
The white shorts are not enough, a guernsey is much larger in surface area.
So i would like to see St kilda either in an all white guernsey or an all red guernsey with just an embroided club badge. Much bigger sporting teams are happy for this.
in the meantime the white monstrosity would still be better to wear against the bulldogs than the tricolour, as this will lessen the clash.

SpeckyMagee

Wear what we did in the intra club match - the red strip. Looks bloody good IMO!

saintm
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:However, I wouldn't mind seeing that red training strip of ours modified a bit and turned into a clash strip - I'm a huge fan

agree, the red's a lot better than the woos white one. so what is the ruling? does anyone have a definitive answer on what we'll be wearing?
According to the boys "On the Couch" tonight the decision re clash strips is made on the Tuesday before the game.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

according to Mike S
the AFL decide each Tuesday after lokng a the next weeks games who needs to wear alternate strip

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Rivalry round with The Bullfrogs?

WTF

Another opportunity awaits!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

No need for clash strip this week.

Speaking of clash strips, that white blues outfit actually looks quite good. And that's about the only good thing i'll ever say about Carlton.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

we didnt wear the clash against them last year, and they didnt wear it againsgt us.
it will be the home top + white shorts!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Duggie
Club Player

The AFL's merchandising policy is a joke. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
esaint66
SS Life Member

Moccha wrote:Rivalry round with The Bullfrogs?

WTF

They were about the only team that still excists (fitzroy and south) that were as S**T as us in the past :lol:

Saints94
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:No need for clash strip this week.

Speaking of clash strips, that white blues outfit actually looks quite good. And that's about the only good thing i'll ever say about Carlton.
Yeah they weared that last year against us in rd 6 and then we weared our clash strip in rd 17

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

WTF
We are just the "leftovers" - we played North the first year, IIRC.

We just get lumped along with the teams that aren't Carlton and Collingwood and the Perth and Adelaide teams.

Saints94
SS Life Member

riccardo wrote:

WTF

We just get lumped along with the teams that aren't Carlton and Collingwood and the Perth and Adelaide teams.
Why arn't Carlton & Collingwood playing against each other in rd 3

esaint66
SS Life Member

homework wrote:
riccardo wrote:

WTF

Why arn't Carlton & Collingwood playing against each other in rd 3

Because Richmond and Collingwood are rivals.
1. Collingwood is just up the street
2. In the 80's the pies stole all of the tiges players. (brian taylor, raines.)

dogs v saints
roos v hawks
wce v freo
lions v swans
dons v blues
cats v dees
Tiges v pies
crows v port.

esaint66
SS Life Member

But since its the 150'th year of football i think everyone should play there oldest rivals so i think the pies sould play either brisbane,blues or the tiges.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I would assume that, because it is 150 years they are focusing on the Collingwood/Richmond rivallry, which dates back to the 1920s, when it was said a trail of blood ran from Lulie St to Punt Rd.

Collinwoods only older rivallry is with Fitzroy but Brisbane seem to have to play Sydney in order to glom off the League rivalry between NSW and Qld.

esaint66
SS Life Member

riccardo wrote:I would assume that, because it is 150 years they are focusing on the Collingwood/Richmond rivallry, which dates back to the 1920s, when it was said a trail of blood ran from Lulie St to Punt Rd.

Collinwoods only older rivallry is with Fitzroy but Brisbane seem to have to play Sydney in order to glom off the League rivalry between NSW and Qld.

I think the swans should play us.

we both used to play at albert park (junction and lake ovals)
and we used to play for the lake premiership.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:
riccardo wrote:I would assume that, because it is 150 years they are focusing on the Collingwood/Richmond rivallry, which dates back to the 1920s, when it was said a trail of blood ran from Lulie St to Punt Rd.

Absolutely we should play Sydney. It could even be for the "Lake Premiership" as it was back in the day (there was even a flag, if the pictures I've seen are any indication).

As we are soon to be based by the water again in good old Frankston, and the Swans have Sydney Harbour, it is the perfect time to ressurect an old rivallry that has added spice from the '05 Prelim and round 1s tunnelling furore.

Do it AFL!

esaint66
SS Life Member

riccardo wrote:
saint edward wrote:

Absolutely we should play Sydney. It could even be for the "Lake Premiership" as it was back in the day (there was even a flag, if the pictures I've seen are any indication).

As we are soon to be based by the water again in good old Frankston, and the Swans have Sydney Harbour, it is the perfect time to ressurect an old rivallry that has added spice from the '05 Prelim and round 1s tunnelling furore.

Do it AFL!

Definately
there was a flag so your pictures are correct.
The only problem would be the younger generation (myself included) might not understand it.