Armitage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

juricin

Armitage

does anyone know when the kid is going to get a game?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Armitage

I was thinking that way too! He's still young and has time to become a fine player with us. I guess the match Committee have their reasons for his non-selection thus far

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Armitage

was reported on the weekend

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

7 years ago folks were raging that the kids were putting on teh front line without time to develop ><

armitage, like jones, like Birss will have to earn a spot in the team.

armitage looks a good sort, but I guess we are in a position in 08 where we dont ahve throw the lambs at the wolves.

(anyone remembered us getting monstered by Collingwood in 01 was it? they just rag dolled the saints kids) I remember a very young goose maguire copping a fearful pounding, and I think it was shwartz cleaned up, amongst others.

IMO we are now in a position where we can protect our kids a bit.

look at the way we rag dolled carton's midfield in 07, in 08 we actually had to work a bit.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

When is he up at the VFL tribunal?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If we have injuries in the midfield I think he'll be the first to come in, but he's not going to dosplace anyone currently in the side.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Outstanding clearance player with solid skills by hand and foot, is brutul in the contest with a mean streak.....will make it....but

he is extremely inside and we have too many of his type...Ball, Hayes who win first possesion....and plenty who win first/second possesion Harvey, Dal, X, Joey.....probably not enough running link players....which is why Fiora, CJ are rated ahead of him...

Issues are
Still lacks aerobic fitness (even though he has trimmed down and has trained hard - now it will take match fitness)

Undisciplined - gives away loads of free kicks, and occasionally sits back and spectates in general play, which is why he does not have a huge possession count...20 touches (8 clearances) avg

esaint66
SS Life Member

Not that i dont like geary but he seems a bit reluctant to kick at times when he should and he doesnt seem up to speed but you have to expect that so im fine with it at the moment.

I say when were playing a 'lesser' opponent (i suppose is the term you use for it) we should either give armo a run or both of them.

I think they would work well in tandem like aussie jones and tony brown. :wink:

midas_touch
Club Player

Armo seems like a Hayes/Hodge type of player who is good in close and has a penetrating kick. At this stage, I dont think he could break into the side, unless we have any injury or players in bad form. Nonetheless I'm confident he'll be a long term player for the club.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
james rose
Club Player

there have been question marks about his effort at vfl level hasn't there? I live just down the road from Morrab and that seems to be the rumours people are telling me at work.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He's too one sided (like Sam Gilbert) and not being fleet of foot, gets caught too much. Hand-passing is woeful. He still has a lot of learning to do, knowing when and where to run. At training, the coaching staff has to tell him where to run and urge him to second try. Harsh to say, but I don't think he will be at the club in a few years time (if RL is still there).

Lynch Beast
Club Player

very very hard to Judge rapid improver's like Armitage

Went from being a complete GOP to being seriously good clearance machine post 06 champs and a magnificent draft camp that really shot him up the rankings among recruiting circles.

Kicking is flawed and decision making is hit and miss a lot of the time, this effects his skills to more of a degree it would a player with very good decision making skills (Selwood) who is equal in the skills department but 5 steps ahead of nearly every player on the ground in his decision making, just does not make a mistake.

Pick 9 was a very in-between pick in 2006, the serious class midfielders were gone (Selwood/Boak/Gibbs) and so were the talls (Gumby/Thorp/Hansen/Berger) so it was down to paying over the odds for a solid tall prospect (take your pick of at least 7 in any order) or another 10 so so smalls (Jetta leading the way)

That meant that it was down to Armo or the inside mid that the dons picked up who has more limited skills and less control on his white line fever. Inside mids are a historically safe bet at the draft table in round 1 when the cream is gone, much likely to 'make it' long term at AFL level.

After the top 7 (very clearly defined top shelf talent) it was a raffle between 25-30 guys depending on what your team wanted such was the diversification of ratings among recruiters.

Think of Armo as a replacement for Lenny Hayes in 3 years or so, will come in before that but not on a really regular basis unless he shows some very good form at scorps or there is a change in game plan (more congestion)

RBnW
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:He's too one sided (like Sam Gilbert) and not being fleet of foot, gets caught too much. Hand-passing is woeful. He still has a lot of learning to do, knowing when and where to run. At training, the coaching staff has to tell him where to run and urge him to second try. Harsh to say, but I don't think he will be at the club in a few years time (if RL is still there).
at the game on the weekend I saw something that was a big worry with him he should have taken a shot from 30mts out on his right..... didnt and turned back onto his left and got crunched :shock: .....he had no confidence in his right foot :oops: .....he has a lot of work to do before he will command a spot in our mid field....but he is young and he is hard inside.....jury is out for me just at the moment :?: :?:

Our best is yet
to come......
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Yes, pretty comprehensive and fair analysis Lynch Beast. Let's hope he surprises us.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Seriously I can't keep up with this board last year he was hopeless should've never been drafted. NAB cup he was great and what a pickup and now he's useless again.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The answer is contained in your post - NAB Cup. And some people, being kindly disposed, like to "talk up" young players. Trouble is, it doesn't make them any better - that's in their hands.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

will more then likely get more game time as Harveys decreases to eventually take his spot in the team when he retires

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
esaint66
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:Seriously I can't keep up with this board last year he was hopeless should've never been drafted. NAB cup he was great and what a pickup and now he's useless again.

Well i wasnt around last season and the time ive been here ive always thought that armo was great :? :D

esaint66
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:will more then likely get more game time as Harveys decreases to eventually take his spot in the team when he retires

That's exactly what i thought either him or mini getting harveys spot i think.

Last season i used to get mini and harvey mixed up so much.
but, having seen what armo can do i think he is a better player than mini.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Armo hits the packs a lot harder than Mini and generally works harder.

esaint66
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Armo hits the packs a lot harder than Mini and generally works harder.

Thats what i thought.

The only thing that mini has over armo is expierience.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

saint edward wrote: Last season i used to get mini and harvey mixed up so much.
:shock: :shock: I think you need to watch a lot more football, especially as mini barely got a game last season :!:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
esaint66
SS Life Member

True Believer wrote:
saint edward wrote: Last season i used to get mini and harvey mixed up so much.
:shock: :shock: I think you need to watch a lot more football, especially as mini barely got a game last season :!:

No not as in how they play i would look away for a split second and look back and mini and harves looked the same physically which i think is a credit to harves.

keeping himself looking like a 20 something old (and i meen that in a nice way, i love harves and i dont know anyone who doesn;t)

RBnW
Club Player

saint edward wrote:
spert wrote:Armo hits the packs a lot harder than Mini and generally works harder.

Thats what i thought.

The only thing that mini has over armo is expierience.
does anyone think that Mini who we delisted last year and we took back as a rookie or Armo, who has only a left foot and cant run yet, but may get better... :oops: could seriously take over from Harvs, are we saying that because Mini looks like Harvs he could take over from Harvs.... :?: I saw Harvs on Saturday night at age 36 play in the AFL and I saw Mini and Armo who collectivley are around 36 years old play on Sunday in the VFL.......and lets hope Harvs plays on for a while....cause neither of them will be taking Harvs spot for a long time if ever.... :roll:
Put it like this can you see Mini or Armo winning a Brownlow or two... :?:
Can you see Mini or Armo playing until they are 26, never even think of 36 years of age.....having said all of that it is hard to judge a player against the greatness of Harvs our champion.....but niether of thes two have the ability to run like Harvs....they are different and more inside players, who are competing with Bally, Lennie, Leigh Fisher not Harvs... :?

Our best is yet
to come......
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Armitage is next in line for a mid field role youd think. He would defanatly be playing seniors at 13 other clubs right now.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL