First Time Poster - At a Loss

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wollongong_saint
Club Player

First Time Poster - At a Loss

Okay, I must admit I'm a bit of a lurker on this forum, but I don't have anybody in my city or state to vent to so this is my only forum.

The Bulldogs game just ended and I have to ask the question - has anybody REALLY enjoyed the way we have played in the last two years??? I mean, sure there have been some exciting games that we've won and there have been some flashes of brilliance, but really, since Ross Lyon took the helm we have been boring and never played to our strengths. And that's okay when we get four points but when it ends up the way it did tonight, it really makes you wonder......when is he going to admit that his game plan isn't working??

I thought the whole reason we picked up Rossy at the end of '06 was because we were sick of a coach who was stubborn and too fixated on a narrow set of tactics???

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Re: First Time Poster - At a Loss

Wollongong_saint wrote:Okay, I must admit I'm a bit of a lurker on this forum, but I don't have anybody in my city or state to vent to so this is my only forum.

The Bulldogs game just ended and I have to ask the question - has anybody REALLY enjoyed the way we have played in the last two years??? I mean, sure there have been some exciting games that we've won and there have been some flashes of brilliance, but really, since Ross Lyon took the helm we have been boring and never played to our strengths. And that's okay when we get four points but when it ends up the way it did tonight, it really makes you wonder......when is he going to admit that his game plan isn't working??

I thought the whole reason we picked up Rossy at the end of '06 was because we were sick of a coach who was stubborn and too fixated on a narrow set of tactics???
first post...had a whinge...

thank you and join the que...

tonight was not good enough however its barely a month in...we will get better...

rome wasnt built in a day

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Wollongong_saint
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
Wollongong_saint wrote:Okay, I must admit I'm a bit of a lurker on this forum, but I don't have anybody in my city or state to vent to so this is my only forum.

first post...had a whinge...

thank you and join the que...

tonight was not good enough however its barely a month in...we will get better...

rome wasnt built in a day
No, Rome wasn't built in a day, but I'd say they had built some impressive temples/forums in the first 42 year......if you catch my drift.

It's just more of the same and yeah, I'm not the first to have my first post as a whinge and I won't be the last.....but.....

It's easy to say that we are only three weeks in. But we're playing the same (if not worse) as September last year.....so when is Ross Lyon's game plan to end all game plans actually going to fall into place?

savatage
SS Life Member

Wollongong_saint wrote: It's easy to say that we are only three weeks in. But we're playing the same (if not worse) as September last year.....so when is Ross Lyon's game plan to end all game plans actually going to fall into place?
Possibly when the players that represent the St.Kilda Football Club show some heart & spirit. Absolute lacklustre, soft effort. Sounded like 100 bulldogs players vs 5 saints. No gameplan is responsible for piss-poor effort.

kalsaint
Club Player

Lets not blame Ross for the loss here. He may not have been the coaching winner tonight but players expecting to play in finals need to show heart, demonstrate commitment to their team and game plan.

On reflection this is probably worse than the game against Hawthorn when a 63 point turnaround occurred. This team is better than that but if they go in with the attitude displayed tonight we are doomed this year.

Aweek is a long time in football. bring in the psychologists as preparation for next week's game against Geelong.

Coaching wont change this in a week, its all between the ears.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
axcellence
Club Player

Ross Lyon = TIM WATSON

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Have only heard the result and am still watching the game - 10 to go in the third.

Welcome to the forum mate, and apparently we are going to be a strong team and a huge contender as long as no-one on here mentions anything negative about our players, fitness and game plan - because the players, coach and committee read and take notice. :roll:

Apart from that I love this team, but at the moment I am disappointed with what we've thrown up - an ugly win, a poor win, and a pathetic heartless loss.

But I'll still be there next week anyway.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't THAT Hawks game a 63 point lead that got turned around, not a 63 point turnaround?

Wollongong_saint
Club Player

kalsaint wrote: Coaching wont change this in a week, its all between the ears.
I agree, Ross isn't the only problem. And I think he is a good coach, he is just to fixated on one set of tactics for some reason. It's as if Paul Roos is controlling him by remote control.

But even when the players are up and going (as we were in most of the first two matches), nothing seems to fall into place. There's something missing, something stopping this awesome group of players from really breaking games apart. The same group of players could do that in 2004-06.....so really there is only one obvious variable that is different.

It has to be playing a part. We can't blame injuries anymore.

Wollongong_saint
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:Have only heard the result and am still watching the game - 10 to go in the third.

Welcome to the forum mate, and apparently we are going to be a strong team and a huge contender as long as no-one on here mentions anything negative about our players, fitness and game plan - because the players, coach and committee read and take notice. :roll:

Apart from that I love this team, but at the moment I am disappointed with what we've thrown up - an ugly win, a poor win, and a pathetic heartless loss.

But I'll still be there next week anyway.
Thanks Mate. And don't worry, I'll be there too. I'm normally pretty positive and always defend the team (I'm surrounded by petty Swans fans in this part of the world) but tonight was just too much. I think all the media hype is getting to me. Maybe I'm expecting too much for April.......but we had tonight by the balls.......what happened?

kalsaint
Club Player

Wollongong_saint wrote:
kalsaint wrote: Coaching wont change this in a week, its all between the ears.
I agree, Ross isn't the only problem. And I think he is a good coach, he is just to fixated on one set of tactics for some reason. It's as if Paul Roos is controlling him by remote control.

But even when the players are up and going (as we were in most of the first two matches), nothing seems to fall into place. There's something missing, something stopping this awesome group of players from really breaking games apart. The same group of players could do that in 2004-06.....so really there is only one obvious variable that is different.

It has to be playing a part. We can't blame injuries anymore.

Yep we cant blame injuries anymore. We just weren't accountable and not prepared to run to protect and support those Saints who did get the ball. Without this sort of team effort the Saints were always going to look slow compared to the Bullies.

Well done Bullies you came to play. Why didn't the saints after quarter time? Is this mind set, I think so.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

RoseInOz
Club Player

I have just finished watching the game, and to my mind St Kilda's tackling tonight was pathetic.
The dogs ran all over us, and were allowed to play the game their way.
We have to get that forward line sorted.
Kosi and Roo need to talk to each other, not spoil each others marks, and how many times did we turn the ball over, not only from poor kick ins, but by kicking to a contest, or by always trying to kick to Roo.

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
savatage
SS Life Member

RoseInOz wrote: or by always trying to kick to Roo.
This stood out like a beacon. Our midfielders need to grow some balls & take some shots themselves.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:Lets not blame Ross for the loss here.
He was raped by Eade in the coaching box and slower than an Ox to respond.

Simply hoped his existing structure would hold up and would win through.

His refusal to move Riewoldt to CHB when the match was turning against us was a staggering piece of coaching when we needed a steady hand in defence.

That's not Peter for Paul either. If the ball isn't going forward, Roo's influence is nada.

Lyon was too slow to recognise the shift of game patterns, and just 'hoping' his existing ploys would win out was very worrying for mine. He must improve this aspect of his coaching or he will be exposed quickly by thinking coaches.

A distinct lack of effort on behalf of the playing group didn't help, either. We didn't lay a single good tackle tonight.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Wollongong_saint
Club Player

Perfect post Everton, summed the problem up to perfection.

kalsaint
Club Player

savatage wrote:
RoseInOz wrote: or by always trying to kick to Roo.
This stood out like a beacon. Our midfielders need to grow some balls & take some shots themselves.
Joey did this and Riewoldt challenged him with the comment "the forwards cant work with that".

We need long bombs at times. We are too Roo conscious and he leads wide way too often commanding delivery to pockets. We need the improved player protection to let our midfield deliver properly and quickly, through the corridor.

Quixote
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:If the ball isn't going forward, Roo's influence is nada.

Lyon was too slow to recognise the shift of game patterns, and just 'hoping' his existing ploys would win out was very worrying for mine.

We didn't lay a single good tackle tonight.

BOLD is very true

ITALICS is very rough

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
evertonfc wrote:If the ball isn't going forward, Roo's influence is nada.

Lyon was too slow to recognise the shift of game patterns, and just 'hoping' his existing ploys would win out was very worrying for mine.

We didn't lay a single good tackle tonight.

BOLD is very true

ITALICS is very rough
You're probably right. I just saw the Dogs shrug about 36 tackles straight at one point and I couldn't believe my eyes at what was happening.

At important times in the match, we didn't seem to be able to create pressure and lay the required tackles to break down their play.

They seemed to move the ball from stoppage to open play with ease...

How's that?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.