SSSLLLLOOOOWWW

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

taz
Club Player

SSSLLLLOOOOWWW

I think our lack of speed was well and truly exposed tonight.

savatage
SS Life Member

Re: SSSLLLLOOOOWWW

taz wrote:I think our lack of speed was well and truly exposed tonight.
No question! We also missed Michael Gardiner big time. Clint Jones should've come in instead of Raph Clarke that's for certain.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

has been our major weakness for some time.

genuine leg speed

saint4life
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Lack of speed, or fitness? :idea:

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Lack of speed, or fitness? :idea:
Looked like both.

Add that to a lack of hunger, desire and care.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Lack of speed, or fitness? :idea:
poor coaching

i dont know how the game time or bench use stats will look but Rodney Eade used his bench to perfection - Yet we had players constantly pleading to come off the ground

Schneider could barely make it to the line at one stage - Dal brought himself off only to be told there was nobody on their feet to replace him

Poor bloody tactics - poor fitness - poor use of the bench

worst game of coaching ive ever seen

taz
Club Player

no I don't think fitness is a major problem for most of the team. I hate mention names but Lenny in particular played a valiant role but was exposed for pace. Ball tackled hard all night but failed to make an impact on the scoreborad and one of our faster players in Joey well he just went missing. BJ was the only positive for the night. Hopefully Kosi is fit for next week.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

All things are relative - Footscray is very fast and hardly missed a target at all with their field kicking - definite improvement for them on last year.
Our blokes looked they had the flu after quarter time. Hill looks some player. Goddard got through the game so that's one good thing. Kosi did something to his shoulder but played on - we'll have to wait on that.

We sat near Mark Thompson and he chatted with a number of supporters, it was nice to see, then again, I think with his team he can afford to be somewhat relaxed.

kalsaint
Club Player

I have always been a believer in increasing midfield stocks with a preference for more speed. I even placed this as a higher priority than rucks (some may cast me as the believer of the Grant Thomas model). I still do. I dont blame Ross for games like this.

None of the above mattered tonight. Coaching, talls or speed all contributed to minor extent.

To use Grants words "We lacked effort, we didn't meet our KPI's. Ross would quietly agree. No team who puts in inadequate effort like that will win unless the other team is sleeping.

Its the mind set that worries me about this team. We have been down this road before and returned solid performances the very next week. Its the lack of resolve to over come inconsistency that annoys me.

Substandard performance needs some player management (not heaps but the message should not escape them). Toughen up or bob up and down for the rest of the season before petering out in the finals as per other recent seasons.
The mind set needs to change. Thank God BJ is back. He is tough. We can no longer balme a youthful cuture for inconsistency.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency