Raph Clarke did not lose us this game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Raph Clarke did not lose us this game

He was as good as ne1 in the first 1/4

then once we lost control of the midfield he like a number of other players got exposed...
surely you'd point the finger at a number of senior players for not performing rather than scape goating guys like Raph and Geary for not performing...

Monty, Dal, X, Blake, Harvey etc all had much worse games

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Raph Clarke did not lose us this game

agree. raph was far from the worst out there.

savatage
SS Life Member

Raph Clarke was CLEARLY our worst. Obviously he didn't lose us the game, the whole team made sure of that - but call a spade a spade.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Raph Clarke was CLEARLY our worst. Obviously he didn't lose us the game, the whole team made sure of that - but call a spade a spade.
As I posted elsewhere, it's just come to that point where we can't keep sticking up for him.

He did two or three excellent things, but on countless occasions he was beaten hands down - this can't happen around goal.

He just doesn't have what it takes mentally and physically right now to make it at this level. He may in the future, but he makes so many bad decisions and is so frequently outsmarted that it's just not fair that he keeps his spot.

Sean Dempster, when fit, is probably a better bet right now.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Just as I opened this post Raph sold a hospital handpas on D50, turnover and a pass to Big Will - goal to Dogs.

Of course I'm on delayed telecast so I'm sure it wasn't that bad at ground level live. :wink:

savatage
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:
savatage wrote:Raph Clarke was CLEARLY our worst. Obviously he didn't lose us the game, the whole team made sure of that - but call a spade a spade.
As I posted elsewhere, it's just come to that point where we can't keep sticking up for him.

He did two or three excellent things, but on countless occasions he was beaten hands down - this can't happen around goal.

He just doesn't have what it takes mentally and physically right now to make it at this level. He may in the future, but he makes so many bad decisions and is so frequently outsmarted that it's just not fair that he keeps his spot.

Sean Dempster, when fit, is probably a better bet right now.
I can understand an AFL player taking risks & trying things but with Raph they just never come off - it just never clicks, he's a step behind the play & that doesn't work at AFL level. You can't make that many mistakes week in & week out to retain your spot.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Just as I opened this post Raph sold a hospital handpas on D50, turnover and a pass to Big Will - goal to Dogs.

Of course I'm on delayed telecast so I'm sure it wasn't that bad at ground level live. :wink:
my jaw dropped open when he did that

we had TWO free players on the wing, 25 meters away and 35 meters away

instead he handballs to sam fisher ? who was not even four meters away with two - four bulldogs surrounding him

stupidest thing i have ever seen at any level of football

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

yeah who would have thought he made a few mistakes in the backline in a match where our midfield doesn't get a possession for 3/4s

can't quite figure that 1 out :roll:

savatage
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:yeah who would have thought he made a few mistakes in the backline in a match where our midfield doesn't get a possession for 3/4s

can't quite figure that 1 out :roll:
You can roll your eyes all you want, some of us use them to watch games of football & to give our opinions. In my opinion Raphael Clarke is not AFL standard. I don't doubt he's a good guy, trains as hard as he can, gives it 100% but I don't believe he is up to it. He hasn't improved since the pre-season, he was dropped this round. He will be dropped next week.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Raph just isn't up to it at the moment. Down on form and down on confidence. Too many times he was just brushed aside. Hahn, Minson, sold Fisher into trouble.....

Sorry, but he isn't in our best 22, which is sad to say about a top ten draft pick.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
St.Walker
Club Player

wont play next week

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

and what about the 15-20 other more experienced players that had worse games?

savatage
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:and what about the 15-20 other more experienced players that had worse games?
I didn't notice 15-20 worse players.

Are you disagreeing with me that Raph will be dropped this week?

widereceiver
Club Player

Raph's brother was one

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure... he pbly will

Personally, I'm much more upset with X, Joey, Blake, and Fiora to name a few that were much more ineffective... i expected a lot more from those players than I did from Raph

And i believe their failure only made Raph's performance look worse as he was forever under the pump

Richter
SS Life Member

Well, I'm afraid that I have to agree with all of you. Yes, more experienced hands had shockers - the midfield, as a group, were absolutely terribly exposed. However, Raph was certainly our worst player and will be seeing a fair amount of time in the 2s. James Gwilt would have been better than Raph tonight.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Raph our worst player...give me a break...
Here's one that was worse for a start...Gehrig.
Raph was ordinary tonight no doubt about it, but so was Dal, X, Joey, Roo, Gehrig, Gilbert, Fiora, L Fisher, Blake, and probably a few others.
Spread the love around FFS

savatage
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:Raph our worst player...give me a break...
Raph was ordinary tonight no doubt about it, but so was Dal, X, Joey, Roo, Gehrig, Gilbert, Fiora, L Fisher, Blake, and probably a few others.
Yes they were all s*** - no doubt about it, but he will be the first player dropped. His performances all around have not been near the mark.

I am more perplexed that a post was started with the subject of "Raph did not cost us the game" nobody said he did - but if he played a s*** game, then there's no shame in saying that he played a s*** game. We shouldn't be ashamed about being honest around here.
Last edited by savatage on Fri 04 Apr 2008 11:09pm, edited 2 times in total.

St.Walker
Club Player

Thanks miss clarke... he choked ad usual...he'll be back in nt soon darl

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sav if ur referring to the op...

i'm just a bit tired of Raph being made the scapegoat every time something goes wrong... if this forum is anything to go by, he's clearly the no1 target.

a lot of forumites are after his head... i don't think that's fair

especially considering the midfield got done and the doggies got a lot of supply in... for ppl to be saying he's not up to it, clearly our worst player etc etc is very unfair.

Anyway, I'm off to bed... i'll carry on this chat with u another time

savatage
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:Sav if ur referring to the op...

i'm just a bit tired of Raph being made the scapegoat every time something goes wrong... if this forum is anything to go by, he's clearly the no1 target.

a lot of forumites are after his head... i don't think that's fair

especially considering the midfield got done and the doggies got a lot of supply in... for ppl to be saying he's not up to it, clearly our worst player etc etc is very unfair.

Anyway, I'm off to bed... i'll carry on this chat with u another time
If people don't think a player is up to it - then I don't see the problem in saying it. Let's not get too sensitive here - it's a forum, it should be here for open & frank discussion. I'm not here having shots at his character, his desire or anything like that - I just feel that I've seen enough evidence that he's not up to the task.

Anyways have a good sleep! :)

maverick
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
Yes they were all s*** - no doubt about it, but he will be the first player dropped. His performances all around have not been near the mark.

I am more perplexed that a post was started with the subject of "Raph did not cost us the game" nobody said he did - but if he played a s*** game, then there's no shame in saying that he played a s*** game. We shouldn't be ashamed about being honest around here.
No but you said he was the worst, that is not correct.
he may be the first dropped but he was not the worst....
I hate it when people on here make outlandish statements, back track and try and justify them with another comment.

Yes Raph may well be dropped, will he be the first...does it matter...who knows... on that effort 10 should get dropped with the G train first up

Making mistakes is one thing, not getting involved is far worse IMO.

savatage
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:
savatage wrote:

No but you said he was the worst, that is not correct.
he may be the first dropped but he was not the worst....
I hate it when people on here make outlandish statements, back track and try and justify them with another comment.

Yes Raph may well be dropped, will he be the first...does it matter...who knows... on that effort 10 should get dropped with the G train first up

Making mistakes is one thing, not getting involved is far worse IMO.
Outlandish statements & backtracking? I think not. In my opinion Raph was our worst player as stated, yes there were a lot of s*** players - but most of those have at least shown something in the past few weeks.

nicko016
Club Player

He would have had to have been extremely putrid to be the reason we lost by 40 points. But he wasn't great and is lacking confidence which I hope to god he can find soon because otherwise we aren't going to see that much improvement. He should probably be dropped and probably shouldn't have been the inclusion. I can't understand why he was bought in when it clearly did nothing to fix the structure left by Gardiner.

I didn't think he was horrible but he wasn't very good but its hard to comment because I was so frustrated and not really that observant. But it looks to be down to the 2nds for Raph.

Sainterman
Club Player

His decision making is the big problem, and he is getting knocked off the ball too easily. Many poor players tonight, way too many, but he was one of them, and IMO, has been average all year.

Needs to go back to the seconds, back to basics and earn his place.

Tonight was awful, and its a long way back from here.