Does Ross Lyon read this site? Maybe he should

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

backit
Club Player

Does Ross Lyon read this site? Maybe he should

I wonder if Ross Lyon reads this site or has a person who is close to him who does. If thats the case he needs to take notice that the supporters have issues with the direction that he has us heading and it's not a positive at the moment.

After reviewing the posts after last night's games we have some serious serious issues with our game plan (or lack of) our fitness, our pace, our accountability, our defence, our forwards (and delivery to), players not there yet and some who are there not making it.

I have been to all three games and am getting seriously frustrated on where we are it and heading.

I went to sydney last sunday for work and went to watch the swans play the power and was amazed at how quickly they turned around from the game against us to become free flowing, play with accountability, put pressure on the oppostion, having runners from the backline to carry the ball and having a functional forward line (that was against some quality opposition ie chad cornes, chaplin etc).

We`at the moment are going in the opposite direction. Last night we tried to herd the opposition ball carrier instead`of putting pressure on them, we ran alonside them again without pressuring them, they continually shrugged our tackles, our disposal was again poor missing targets and kicking to players who were under pressure.

Last nights game makes it hard to find any positives going forward only that some players will be better for the run ie BJ, some will have a look at themselves and understand the reason they are back at Casey next week after last nights insipid effort and that there are other players in the wings waiting for an opportunity to come up and have their crack.

Read this Ross Lyon with all the other threads that members have shown their concern and see that the supporters have identified issues that are genuine.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

From what i've seen over this year and last year it more or less goes like this.

The majority of supporters are on the cusp of disappointment. Every win is more of a sigh of relief that they don't have to watch another depressing loss for at least another 6 or 7 days.
When theirs a win, Everyone tries to focus on the positives, completely obliterating the negatives from every angle.

But when theirs a loss, everything comes out, theirs no more holding back because now theirs a reason. Too many supporters have a negative view of our gameplan, which says something about our gameplan. Not enough supporters want to watch us play.

Everyone holds their breath at the beginning of each match, praying that we will score 150 points, defeat the opposition by any amount of points, but play positively and well. This week especially, it was like a sneak preview, we got shown what we could do...but once again, it was only a preview.

ace
Saintsational Legend

No, but Rodney Eade does.
Eade claimed he knew Michael Gardiner was not going to play.
So he went small when he brought in Harbrow to replace Eagleton

Clearly he got this reliable information right here from Saintsational .com

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Does Ross Lyon read this site? Maybe he should

i'm pretty sure that RL does get on here occasionally ... but at the moment he'd be avoiding it like the plague and with good reason.

people are angry and frustrated that from a seemingly unassailable position we managed to lose the four points.

i'd expect him now to abandon the 3 talls forward line that was pretty devastating in the first quarter last night ... and maybe that is the correct call.

perhaps roo to the wing would shake things up a bit. that's what i'd try next anyway

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:i'm pretty sure that RL does get on here occasionally ... but at the moment he'd be avoiding it like the plague and with good reason.

people are angry and frustrated that from a seemingly unassailable position we managed to lose the four points.

i'd expect him now to abandon the 3 talls forward line that was pretty devastating in the first quarter last night ... and maybe that is the correct call.

perhaps roo to the wing would shake things up a bit. that's what i'd try next anyway
Im pretty sure he would never ever read this site.

esaint66
SS Life Member

Ross lyon coaches a gameplan that no longer has any worth to todays game.

He coaches the sydney/west coast shut down, boring sort of game plan and look how well that is working for them and us.

Gellong is again the benchmark with the exciting running, captivating game style. I'm not saying we have to be like geelong over night, but we have to stop our plan now that is getting us scrappy wins, nopercentage and now losses like last night.

CHANGE IT UP ROSS !!! (if you are reading this of course :wink: )

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Im pretty sure he would never ever read this site.
well your mail is generally pretty good, apart from on the captaincy of course.

where have you been plugger and how would you fix what we witnessed last night?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

I never knew anything about the captaincy it was only my opinion that Lenny is the heart of the club. As for where I have been is I was reported and given 2 weeks. I tried to claim self defence but like Bakes I was poorly advised. As for RL reading the site I wouldnt have a clue but I doubt any players, except maybe the young ones, or coaches would read this site.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i'd like to hear Ross' reasoning behing continually telling the boys NOT too pressure the ball carrier and NOT to man up....

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I never knew anything about the captaincy it was only my opinion that Lenny is the heart of the club. As for where I have been is I was reported and given 2 weeks. I tried to claim self defence but like Bakes I was poorly advised. As for RL reading the site I wouldnt have a clue but I doubt any players, except maybe the young ones, or coaches would read this site.
how would you fix what we witnessed last night?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

how would you fix what we witnessed last night?

My first step would be when opposition have the ball that ours players put prssure on the ball carrier instead of what they do now which is run backwards quickly and give the oppostion free use of the ball. I would also play Kosi in the ruck at stages because at the moment our forward line is far to slow with both Kosi and G in there. If that means King doesnt play so be it. He is as soft as butter anyway. The backs are ok at the moment but we need much better output from our mids which means we never have Fisher or Blake in the centre at bounces. We need ball getters in there.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:at the moment our forward line is far to slow with both Kosi and G in there.
i wouldn't play them on the same line. i think kosi to chf, flanked by gilbert and c. gardiner and fraser to stay at ff with milne and schneider in the pockets.

riewoldt to wing where we can use his enormous tank to best advantage.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:at the moment our forward line is far to slow with both Kosi and G in there.
i wouldn't play them on the same line. i think kosi to chf, flanked by gilbert and c. gardiner and fraser to stay at ff with milne and schneider in the pockets.

riewoldt to wing where we can use his enormous tank to best advantage.
So we get our best forward out the forward line. Gardiner and Gibert cannot kick and Kosi is only fair. That CHF line IMO is way to slow and to tall.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:So we get our best forward out the forward line. Gardiner and Gibert cannot kick and Kosi is only fair. That CHF line IMO is way to slow and to tall.
gilbert's not slow and neither is gardiner. kosi lumbers a bit but is a very dangerous contested mark and was our best forward last night with three goals.

given riewoldt's endurance and run you'd see a fair bit of him in the forward line even if he started on a wing.

i think roo to the wing is worth a try ... even for just a few weeks ... simply to stop us directing every attack at him.

St.Kenny
Club Player

I thought we got rid of the old brains trust to bring in the new and better brains trust. I thought we were terribly out coached last night. Am scratchin my head here......

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

St.Kenny wrote:I thought we got rid of the old brains trust to bring in the new and better brains trust. I thought we were terribly out coached last night. Am scratchin my head here......
Yes bring back the Great success Grant Thomas hey itchy head??? :roll:

Tell me how many flags did your hero win as coach?

Has he squeezed any more money out of the club yet?

Fair Dinkum. You have not been spotted for months and once our first loss is on the board you drag your useless carcass back in with your usual retrograde and boring repetitive foolishness.

Cabbage.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
St.Kenny wrote:I thought we got rid of the old brains trust to bring in the new and better brains trust. I thought we were terribly out coached last night. Am scratchin my head here......

Fair Dinkum. You have not been spotted for months and once our first loss is on the board you drag your useless carcass back in with your usual retrograde and boring repetitive foolishness.

Cabbage.
I think what he said was fair enough. Saw nowhere in his post about GT.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:

Cabbage.
We would have lost last night if we'd been coached by god. :roll:

GrumpyOne

My two bobs worth would be to stop the 18man defensive press, and leave a few fast players in the forward line to put pressure on the ball carrier/holder. Three spread out across the ground should do it. Ensure we play two ruckmen every game with a rapid rotating midfield. Roo to shuttle between the defensive side of centre and CHF. Kosi and G to interchange between FF and CHF, and play on at every opportunity.

Despite all that, I think our performance this week was one that had to come. Now that we've had our first real belting this year, I expect us o come back harder for the experience.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Despite all that, I think our performance this week was one that had to come. Now that we've had our first real belting this year, I expect us to come back harder for the experience.
i sincerely hope you're right

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Gotta laugh....last night was the closest game yet that RL has played to GT's game style.

Result was that we got thumped.

Many on the forum bitch and moan about RL's normal style where we grind out wins. But we win.

The moment RL goes GT's style and we get thumped...rather than applaud the GTism they instead moan about the predicatable resulting thumping that good teams hand out to the Saints when we play that way.

If you thought last night was bad...just imagine how bad it would have been with Hudson and Willy vs Rix in the ruck!!!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterX
Club Player

The moment RL goes GT's style and we get thumped...rather than applaud the GTism they instead moan about the predicatable resulting thumping that good teams hand out to the Saints when we play that way.
I don't believe that is true. How many times did we get pumped in 04-05 and even the last few games of 03 with GT's style by the so called good teams?

Then answer how many times we pumped the opposition using that same style in those years.

I can understand animosity towards GT for his money issues against the club but seriously, on the field, the 2nd time we had played in 3 final series in a row, 2 prelims, and entertaining all the way. What was so bad about those years?

Yeah maybe I should be like some others on here and be glad for games like we play now, and look back unhappily on the times we would hand West Coasts ass to itself every time they stepped foot in the Dome.

Let's just put it this way. If the Sydney defense defense defense style of play really worked why are they and us the only teams doing it?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Yes bring back the Great success Grant Thomas hey itchy head??? :roll:

GT took our team to the finals 3 years in a row.

How many finals will RL ever make as coach? It remains to be seen, but the portents are not good.

JB, don't be an ostrich.........

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Gotta laugh....last night was the closest game yet that RL has played to GT's game style.

Result was that we got thumped.

Many on the forum bitch and moan about RL's normal style where we grind out wins. But we win.

If you thought last night was bad...just imagine how bad it would have been with Hudson and Willy vs Rix in the ruck!!!!!!
Of course, I would never dream of asking you not to be an ostrich, sRr, although I'm not sure that you actually stick your head in the sand so much as some other convenient spot.....

I should have guessed that last night's loss was all GT's fault. It's funny, but I do recall that the last year in which GT coached we managed to beat a fairly similar Doggies lineup easily in two games. Under Lyon we have been 1-1 plus a rather ignominious draw in a match in which both teams played absolute crap.

When GT dies (hopefully not for a long time), we ought to bring the taxidermist in and stuff him so that people like sRr can continue to blame him for everything that goes wrong at the Sainters for the next millenium!!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Geelong have played 'GT's style' for about 5 years (clearly it's not his style at all, it's a style that's been used by all successful teams for decades - except Sydney).

For the past 1.5 years, they've been fit and have peaked in their physical and mental maturity. That's been the difference.

The game style they use, and the one which we used - is the way to win footy matches. Whether it be September or March.