Guys, let's be honest: Is Ross right for our team?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hAyES
Club Player

Guys, let's be honest: Is Ross right for our team?

It seems that with the switch from Grant to Ross we've done a full 180. Grant was all out attack, whereas Ross seems to be the exact opposite. He seems too concerned with shutting the other team down rather than trying to outscore them. With Roo, Kosi, Gehrig, Milne, Schneider in the forward line there wouldn't be too many teams that can outscore us.

I'm not going by one game. I'm going from all of last season, the NAB Cup and the few games so far this year. We don't smash teams anymore even if we do win, it takes a miracle for us to kick more than 2 or 3 goals in a quarter, there's too much man on man which kills any sort of counter-attack. I could go on and on. What Ross needs to realise is that Geelong have changed the way footy is played. There's no room anymore for going into complete shutdown mode, playing around with it in the backline etc. Playing on and taking risks is what wins football matches these days and Ross needs to realise this. This gameplan forces us to use the ball perfectly every time which is something our players were never great at. What we were good at though was pumping inside the forward 50 enough times to almost force us to kick a winning score.

One thing that doesn't get talked about is that we don't need to be so defensive. In Grant's last year we were third in opponents points scored, behind only Sydney and Adelaide who are known for their flooding gameplan. I don't see Ross making massive changes to his gameplan, but IMO it needs to be done. We have a great list which is almost injury free (which is a credit to Ross) and I would hate to see it go to waste.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Oh FFS Thomas is gone. Get the F### over it.

He failed. He didn't win us anything more than Lyon has ( a pre-season).

Just STFU about Thomas FFS.

It is so god damn mind Numbingly bloody boring.

AND BLOODY WELL DONE TO FRIKKEN DEATH!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Richter
SS Life Member

Here here JB.

By all means have a crack at the current coaching set up if you feel inclined but leave GT out of it.

There is a legitimate discussion to be had about where the tactics and strategy of the club are going and I'd be interested to hear people's views as mine are not really formed yet, but any mention of GT just GIVES ME THE S***S.

HE AIN"T COMING BACK. :evil: :evil: :roll: :roll:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
hAyES
Club Player

If you don't like the topic, don't reply. The topic is clearly about Ross but you can choose how to see it however you want.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Oh FFS Thomas is gone. Get the F### over it.

He failed. He didn't win us anything more than Lyon has ( a pre-season).

Just STFU about Thomas FFS.

It is so god damn mind Numbingly bloody boring.

AND BLOODY WELL DONE TO FRIKKEN DEATH!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In all fairness, i think he was just using GT as a fair comparison. You can't just leave GT out of it, he was one of our longest, and most recent coach.
He was the coach that coached most of all the players that are playing now.

I don't think it had anything in reference with bringing GT back.

hAyES
Club Player

Are you people kidding me? I said his name once or twice just to compare the two different styles of coaching. This has got to be hands down the worst place to talk footy.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

<checks footy fixture>

Yep, Round 3. Two and one. NAB Cup. Yep season is shot, sack him now.

Over reaction much?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:If you don't like the topic, don't reply. The topic is clearly about Ross but you can choose how to see it however you want.
Well why start the pro and anti GT protagonists up once more.

It has been done to death.

Spot on Richter. I think some real questions need to be asked of our CURRENT coach and his tactics, but to hark back to the previous coach all of the time really is getting on my nerves.

Why not hark back to Stan or Jeansy if you want to compare the current coach with pst coaches?

To long ago you say? Well AFL has moved on since the previous coach was there. It has change immeasurable in the past two seasons with regularily over 100 interchanges per game.

Oh and I will respond to whatever thread I choose. Until you are a moderator, dont try and dictate where i post and what my opinion is.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

we won the cup.

its round 3,

its not ROUND 22 its one loss.

its not the end of the year,
we are over exadraiting

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:<checks footy fixture>

Over reaction much?
lol.

Oh and Grant Thomas :wink:

Lance or James??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:,
we are over exadraiting
That sounds painful :? :?

Lance or James??

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Over reaction much?
Oh we're from Tigerland...
a fighting fury were from Tigerland...

8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

Over reaction much?
Oh we're from Tigerland...
a fighting fury were from Tigerland...

8-)
Yup - go order the chickenshi.te and get ready to spit on the coach :roll:

Worst supporters couldn't be found than on here and the hysteria ATM :roll:

Lance or James??

hAyES
Club Player

Harp on it? I mentioned his name once to compare the styles, and once because he was the coach when we finished 3rd in the stat i mentioned. It's also the first time I've mentioned his name since 2006. That's hardly harping on it is it?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

geeeeeez some of you guys are touchy...

i don't think Hayes' post did any of the things he's being criticised for... he's just making some observations... not saying previous coaches should be reinstated or current coaches should be sacked
i'd say he makes a few valid points too

Seriously guys chill. Its getting to the stage where you can't discuss anything on here without ppl attacking you without actually acknowledging your post/arguments

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think some just want to lynch RL just because he happened to be appointed coach after he who should not be named....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
hAyES
Club Player

skeptic wrote:geeeeeez some of you guys are touchy...

i don't think Hayes' post did any of the things he's being criticised for... he's just making some observations... not saying previous coaches should be reinstated or current coaches should be sacked

Seriously guys chill. Its getting to the stage where you can't discuss anything on here without ppl attacking you without actually acknowledging your post/arguments
I think it's always been that way. Say anything negative about someone that has anything to do with St. Kilda and expect to be attacked by the usual suspects around here.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Guys, let's be honest: Is Ross right for our team?

hAyES wrote:He seems too concerned with shutting the other team down rather than trying to outscore them. With Roo, Kosi, Gehrig, Milne, Schneider in the forward line there wouldn't be too many teams that can outscore us.
you'd think that sort of forward line would be capable of kicking big scores, wouldn't you.

problem is most of them are behind the ball when it comes in. sometimes there is no foward line to kick it to

hAyES
Club Player

Re: Guys, let's be honest: Is Ross right for our team?

bigcarl wrote:
hAyES wrote:He seems too concerned with shutting the other team down rather than trying to outscore them. With Roo, Kosi, Gehrig, Milne, Schneider in the forward line there wouldn't be too many teams that can outscore us.
you'd think that sort of forward line would be capable of kicking big scores, wouldn't you.

problem is most of them are behind the ball when it comes in. sometimes there is no foward line to kick it to
I'd say that's usually because by the time the ball has gotten to the forward line, there's already been plenty of time for the opposition to flood back, which you can bet they're going to do with the forwards we have.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I'm vey sceptical of that point of view.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:

So is Grant Thomas

OOPS I DID IT AGAIN............

Lance or James??

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

hAyES wrote:Are you people kidding me? I said his name once or twice just to compare the two different styles of coaching. This has got to be hands down the worst place to talk footy.
Spot on, disagree with the posters on here that have thousands of posts to their name and think they own the place, or bag the players or coach and they turn on you with their vitriol and bile.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

even tho we are 2 - 1, we haven't played a good game yet

if we don't change our gameplan, we will continue to lose to good teams

its not whether we're winning or losing, the how we're playing the games

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
hAyES
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:even tho we are 2 - 1, we haven't played a good game yet

if we don't change our gameplan, we will continue to lose to good teams

its not whether we're winning or losing, the how we're playing the games
Exactly right. Right now, we don't look like a finals team.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

So is Grant Thomas

OOPS I DID IT AGAIN............
You can take a pill for that Britney.