We could be a very good side.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Sainter
Club Player

We could be a very good side.

Pleased with our efforts today. the difference was our disposal skills by foot and hand compared to the Cats. also thought we got the worst of the umpiring. We seemed to get pinged for things that they often let go for them.
I thought King was great plus Jones had a go. Goddard and Goose will surely benefit from the hitouts. When we get Gardiner back in the ruck and Schneider also our balance will be much better. Most of our players were very good but again Fiora and Gehrig were close to useless plus Blake often seems to be in a trance when he gets the ball. How they keep getting games is amazing. time to get fair dinkum Ross and wield the axe. no playing favourites any more.
We showed today we can compete with any opposition if we select our best team. It may have been 42 points at the finish but that was mainly through our poor kicking for goal plus our unforced turnover errors. By the way does Fiora ever kick a goal from a set shot when we need it? What is his average goal kicking record since joining us?

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

POTENTIAL is a dirty word but we have plenty of it that's for sure

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

the biggest problem is in the coaches box

either Ross has a warped idea about football or the players just don't listen to him....

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Blake did Ok today. Linked well and set up a lot of forward thrusts. Getting better, some are late bloomers...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:Blake did Ok today. Linked well and set up a lot of forward thrusts. Getting better, some are late bloomers...
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Any chance of you getting a clue sometime, or are you really at the end of the day, that stupid?

FAIR DINKUM

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:Blake did Ok today. Linked well and set up a lot of forward thrusts. Getting better, some are late bloomers...
Dude, do you realise that if Phil Raymond was allowed to run free and pick up cheap touches, he'd be in the same boat.

He's too slow, he kicks dreadully, he's got no ability to think, act or move with any urgency and when under pressure, these things get about 30% per cent worse.

Is he a scapegoat? No - not at all. He's just not good enough, that's all.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SainterX
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:
either Ross has a warped idea about football or the players just don't listen to him....

Can someone who actually claims to understand Lyon's game plan actually explain it to the rest of us? And no I am not asking for your input Rodney Eade :P

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

I see your point, I'm not a big Blake apologist and I'll need to see the game again, but I thought he was far from our worst today. Constantly in the right places and not one of his worst games....

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: We could be a very good side.

The Sainter wrote:Pleased with our efforts today. the difference was our disposal skills by foot and hand compared to the Cats. also thought we got the worst of the umpiring. We seemed to get pinged for things that they often let go for them.
I thought King was great plus Jones had a go. Goddard and Goose will surely benefit from the hitouts. When we get Gardiner back in the ruck and Schneider also our balance will be much better. Most of our players were very good but again Fiora and Gehrig were close to useless plus Blake often seems to be in a trance when he gets the ball. How they keep getting games is amazing. time to get fair dinkum Ross and wield the axe. no playing favourites any more.
We showed today we can compete with any opposition if we select our best team. It may have been 42 points at the finish but that was mainly through our poor kicking for goal plus our unforced turnover errors. By the way does Fiora ever kick a goal from a set shot when we need it? What is his average goal kicking record since joining us?
by Jesus, you've won the prize for the most rose-coloured glasses post of all time. Soft, poor skills, lack of purpose, supposed stars doing SFA, Fiora - how he keeps his spot is beyond me. Ditto Blake. Dal Santo soft as. Must have been watching a different game to me.

Aussie Bears
Club Player

We could be a very good side if we ever become a very good side

A year that doesn't end in frustration...please
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Dal Santo soft as.
i'll have to disagree there, went in hard many times today, was at the bottom of many packs, had a few good clearences in close

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:
st.byron wrote:Dal Santo soft as.
i'll have to disagree there, went in hard many times today, was at the bottom of many packs, had a few good clearences in close
Spot on Dud, Dal wasn't great today but he clearly went in hard why can't people see this

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
hAyES
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:the biggest problem is in the coaches box

Ross is stuck in 2006. He obviously hasn't seen what Geelong have done the past season and a bit. Considering how much we smashed them in the clearances, there's no reason why we shouldn't have won this game. The difference is now that when we do win the clearances, the players aren't in a position to attack because everything is man-on-man.

The gameplan requires our players to do things that they aren't good at which is pin-point players with perfect kicks. Ross needs to make a gameplan that plays to our strengths, rather than try to make our players something they're not.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

It was the PLAYERS poor disposal

IT was the players ........some who lacked strength in contests

It was the players......lacking defensive nouse in contests

It was the players lack of sustainability of effort......which in turn magnified

THEIR leg speed problems......

The coaches box is not our biggest problem......

:twisted: :twisted:

saint4life
BallBanger
Club Player

Why do some (more than a few) think GTrain is good value?
If he's name was Armitage would he not get a game until he put in second efforts tried hard to win the ball/defend etc etc
I rejoiced when he retired and was p.off when allowed back..****.

I know all the players love him but not sure whether his influence is the direction we need to go

I'm sick of peaple saying that he kicks 60 goals a year....we need a spread of players kicking goals not a forward that only tries when he feels like it

Maybe he has to many sore spots (looks like he does not want to hurt himself) to throw himself in but either way he should not be there

He still has the capacity to kick a bundle against ordinary opposition but this will not win you finals...got to be better against quality

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:

It was the players lack of sustainability of effort......which in turn magnified

its the coach's crap gameplan, its the coash who decides not to man up, its the coach who works out the teams structure

the coach SHOULD tell them to play man-on-man, no more loose player in defense

the gameplan is at the root of most of our problems

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote: Ross is stuck in 2006. .
Interesting point. Have been wondering if Lyon is still trying to fine tune a game plan that would have been very effective in 2006. Watching the doggies and the bombers last night - they were just all out attack. Fast, backing each other to win a contest, pin-point passing around the ground. The only time I saw them chipping sideways or backwards was when they were winding the clock down at the end of a quarter.
Am questioning whether Lyon is trying to deliver a game plan that the game has passed by. How much of it is his and how much is what he learned under Roos with a bit of tinkering around the edges? Am very p*ssed off at the mo. Weak as p*ss IMO.......

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:The difference is now that when we do win the clearances, the players aren't in a position to attack because everything is man-on-man.
agree. too many guys worrying about what their opponent is doing rather than making the play themselves. geelong beat us at the game we taught them a couple of years back.

they back themselves and their teammate to win contests and take risks. their midfield made ours look negative and defensive. they just move it with such surety straight down the guts.

i haven't written 2008 off totally yet but 'm still waiting to see something that suggests we can challenge for the flag

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:
Ross is stuck in 2006. He obviously hasn't seen what Geelong have done the past season and a bit. Considering how much we smashed them in the clearances, there's no reason why we shouldn't have won this game. The difference is now that when we do win the clearances, the players aren't in a position to attack because everything is man-on-man.

The gameplan requires our players to do things that they aren't good at which is pin-point players with perfect kicks. Ross needs to make a gameplan that plays to our strengths, rather than try to make our players something they're not.
What absolute crap!

I'm sure we'd all love Ross Lyon's gameplan if we didn't have slow players with zero skills out there on the field.

The fact is we just don't have the cattle for the modern game, way too many slow players with sub standard skill levels, more befitting a metropolitan league.

What was wrong with the game plan in the first quarter, hey?
What was wrong with the game plan in the first quarter last week?

FRICKEN NOTHING, we just don't have the leg speed or skill levels to match others sides that do have thses things in abundance.

We can match them for awhile, but we have far too many weak links in the chain.

Play the kids and develop the list, otherwise we will fast become the new Richmond with mid table finishes.

The last two seasons we've finished 8th and 9th and this will be our lot again, if we do not play the kids and develop the list.

The game has changed, we still have a 2004 list for the 2008 game, is it any wonder we are just ordinary at best.

Seriously be FAIR DINKUM.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
chook23 wrote:

its the coach's crap gameplan, its the coash who decides not to man up, its the coach who works out the teams structure

the coach SHOULD tell them to play man-on-man, no more loose player in defense

the gameplan is at the root of most of our problems

RUBBISH

1st quarter (last week) and this prove that......

COULD not SUSTAIN........

saint4life
SainterX
Club Player

What absolute crap!

I'm sure we'd all love Ross Lyon's gameplan if we didn't have slow players with zero skills out there on the field.

I think its clear from the way the Swans crushed the Power and the way the Hawks play that it was our gameplan that ensured our Round 1 win and that horrific game against Hawthorn last year were played in such negative ways.

Is it possible Ross has no faith in our players so feels this strategy is the only way to keep us in the game?

Let the reins go Ross, let our players play their natural games, not some rubbish which is gonna go to pot after the 1st quarter.

Zippy
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Any chance of you getting a clue sometime, or are you really at the end of the day, that stupid?

FAIR DINKUM
Hey, Blake's head and shoulders above Rix . . . ;) (If anyone needs me for the next six months, I'll be hiding from Barks . . . )

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterX wrote:
What absolute crap!

I think its clear from the way the Swans crushed the Power and the way the Hawks play that it was our gameplan that ensured our Round 1 win and that horrific game against Hawthorn last year were played in such negative ways.

Is it possible Ross has no faith in our players so feels this strategy is the only way to keep us in the game?

Let the reins go Ross, let our players play their natural games, not some rubbish which is gonna go to pot after the 1st quarter.

Unable to sustain the 1st quarters of last 2 weeks is the problem

See B4E posts etc......

Nothing wrong with the gameplan at 1/4 time........

Poor skills.......genuine lack of legspeed when effort(matched)/tiredness..

Started off with bang......UNABLE TO SUSTAIN......

saint4life
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

chook, do you watch the game?

not manning up spare players in our forward line who REPEATEDLY hurt us, two weeks in a row, is ALL the coach's box

SainterX
Club Player

What have we got to gain by playing a Sydney style when we don't have their type of players? We were very very entertaining every single week a few years ago, even with what some think was an idiot for a coach. Why can't a master coach comprehend that our strength is in our attack, our defense is good enough already.
Our players are not fools, they can understand what a coach wants them to do, but looking at things these days one must think they found the idiot coach's gameplan a lot easier to master.
Either way has nobody heard of the philosophy of KISS?
Keep It Simple Stupid?