Selection panel must step up

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Selection panel must step up

Showed me a few things...

We're a pretty good team who are a long way off, it seems, 'clicking'. Clicking like Brisbane did last night. Clicking like we have in various flashes over the last 18 months.

So it is not all despair. We will be competitive each week, but until we click (optimistically I am hoping for round 10), we will not be a power-team.

Also...

The selection panel needs to show some balls and initiative. Geelong did early last year. We must now as well.

A) Fiora. Fast, good skills. Couldn't kick a goal to save his life, is lacking heart and MUST go.
In for him - Armitage. Hungry, quick enough, tough, ball-winner, good skills. YOUNG. MUST come in.

B) Blake and Leigh Fisher. Both are as passionate, hard-working players as you will find. However, I think their is only room in a winning team for one of these guys. For mine, keep Fisher and unfortuinately, lose Blake. Fish has the better skills and is becoming a bloody good stopper. Blake has not set the world alight in his first four games. He is no longer needed in the ruck, is a year older and cannot legitimately contest in the midfield. So... Blake OUT, in another week, BAKER in.

C) Milne OUT, Schnieder IN. When Milne learns to nail a set shot and keep his feet, bring him back. Don't think there is room for both of these blokes.

D) M Gardiner back, hopefully, and yes, Fraser OUT. Let Kosi and Roo marshall the forward line. Fraser this year has done NOTHING! Opposition teams well and truly know how to handle the big man. It is only against very weak defences that he asserts himself. I feel bad saying it - but he has to go.

E) Have the bloody guts to give the Great Man Robert Harvey a rest every second week!! He will be much better for it, it could really enhance his role as a spiritual leader amongst the players and would create an opportunity for a Birss to come in and pinch-hit with a whack every second week!!

That would make our team:

B: Baker Max L Fish
HB: S Fish Maguire Dempster
M: Dal Goddard Joey
HF: X Clarke Kosi Jones
F: Schnieder Roo Gilbert
R: King Ball Hayes
Int: Gram, Armitage, M Gardiner, Harvey/Birss,

Solar
Saintsational Legend

agree, perfectly said....

in fact these changes are not revoluntary. One attacking and one defensive FP/HF in jones/schneider will work nicely. Schneider can also go into the midfield like he did in the NAB with dal or ball taking his spot in the forward line. Would like to see gilbert continue at HF.

only other change would be geary for dempster. Geary is younger, faster, reads the ball better.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
happy feet
Club Player

Agree 100%

Please send the above post to
R Lyon

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Milne must play and deserves to play. Is still our leading goalkicker this year. G should be given another chance as well. Again there is no point in playing guys who havent done any better in a lesser competition. And Schneider would be very doubtful again next week. Gardiner 50/50.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Armo and birss where in the top 3 last night for casey. With harvey under a cloud and fiora struggling to find the footy these two swaps are not hard to work out.

The club has suggested that schneider should play next week. We can't afford to play a crumber who can't slot goals from 30. If I had my choice, I would go with schneider to kick those important goals. He can also play on a wing.

He might be leading our goal kicking list but this suggests to me 1. he has played all three games 2. has played forward almost the whole time. Roo leads outside 50, kosi has played ruck, schneider has missed through injury and Gehrig is struggling. So it's no wonder milne is leading the goal scoring. But as I mentioned earlier, would rather schneider in then milne. CJ works as the other FP interchanging with ball and birss.

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:Armo and birss where in the top 3 last night for casey. With harvey under a cloud and fiora struggling to find the footy these two swaps are not hard to work out.

The club has suggested that schneider should play next week. We can't afford to play a crumber who can't slot goals from 30. If I had my choice, I would go with schneider to kick those important goals. He can also play on a wing.

He might be leading our goal kicking list but this suggests to me 1. he has played all three games 2. has played forward almost the whole time. Roo leads outside 50, kosi has played ruck, schneider has missed through injury and Gehrig is struggling. So it's no wonder milne is leading the goal scoring. But as I mentioned earlier, would rather schneider in then milne. CJ works as the other FP interchanging with ball and birss.
Is that the same club that had Schnieder in the selected side and is that the same Schnieder who missed from 25 metres out against the Swans when we were 3 points up. Whatever reasoning you come up for Milne being the leading goalkicker the fact is he is the leading goalkicker. And Schneider playing with Milne didnt seem to affect us in the first 2 games.

Quixote
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:Armo and birss where in the top 3 last night for casey. With harvey under a cloud and fiora struggling to find the footy these two swaps are not hard to work out.

Is that the same club that had Schnieder in the selected side and is that the same Schnieder who missed from 25 metres out against the Swans when we were 3 points up. Whatever reasoning you come up for Milne being the leading goalkicker the fact is he is the leading goalkicker. And Schneider playing with Milne didnt seem to affect us in the first 2 games.

No suprises that I tend to agree with Solar here.

However, tell you the truth Plugger, I don't mind which one of the two plays - as long as it is ONE of the two.

My preference though would be with the Schnieder man. I'm of the opinion that Milne's stats flatter him greatly... in what he actually gives on field.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Well we agree to disagree then.

Quixote
SS Life Member

I think the question needs to be asked at St Kilda -

Are we in the business of winning Premierships, or are we in the business of being polite to our mates and senior players?

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Milnes been very good this year, very much a scape goat on here when we loose

Before Im 85
Quixote
SS Life Member

saintsrus wrote:Milnes been very good this year, very much a scape goat on here when we loose
Not a scape-goat - tell me what he gives us when he does not have the ball? Milne's stats flatter the s*** out of him.

All I'm saying - Either Milne or Schnieder. Not both.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
saintsrus wrote:Milnes been very good this year, very much a scape goat on here when we loose
Not a scape-goat - tell me what he gives us when he does not have the ball? Milne's stats flatter the s*** out of him.

agree, can only "carry" one attacking FP and as I have mentioned, schneider gives us more.

FQF
In richo I trust

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

I think we can fit both in, the games they have played they have complimented each other, Milneys defensive work has greatly improved this year, maybe yesterday wasnt up to the first few games he played. When we coral he seems to be the only forward putting pressure on.

Before Im 85
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
Quixote wrote:

agree, can only "carry" one attacking FP and as I have mentioned, schneider gives us more.
Why can we have only one especially you said Schneider can also play on the wing.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
Quixote wrote:

Why can we have only one especially you said Schneider can also play on the wing.
because neither are defensive forwards and therefore the ball gets carried out way to easy.

FQF
In richo I trust

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

And considering the game is about runners now how can we not play them both?

Before Im 85
Quixote
SS Life Member

saintsrus wrote:And considering the game is about runners now how can we not play them both?
Becuase neither are bloody runners!!

groupie1
Club Player

agree

I agree
There's no room for S Milne. He's not as quick as he thinks he is, way too inconsistent, and not a big enough engine to take another role in the midfield. But I'd replace with another FP - Luke Ball. Gives us two small forwards, one with great defensive skills, but good shots on goal, and both can rotate into the middle.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

People talk about us 'clicking'.

Thr hardest way for a team to click, is to lack continuity.

ie. players going in and out.

Armitage and Allen should be played when possible, apart from that, keep it steady.

Quixote
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:People talk about us 'clicking'.

Thr hardest way for a team to click, is to lack continuity.

ie. players going in and out.

Armitage and Allen should be played when possible, apart from that, keep it steady.

So in order the preserve our continuity of losing over the last two weeks, we should steer clear of making the hard selection decisions?

There is no point having great continuity amongst a losing group.

I have a distinct feeling Lyon was backing a few players this week, giving them the chance to step up.

I reckon they failed.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
So in order the preserve our continuity of losing over the last two weeks, we should steer clear of making the hard selection decisions?
But are they 'hard' decisions? Or easy quick fixes?

Quixote
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
Quixote wrote:
But are they 'hard' decisions? Or easy quick fixes?
I would suggest letting Gehrig go is a hard decision.

I think dropping Fiora, an established player at AFL level, to bring in a promising 19-yr old is a hard decision.

I reckon swallowing the pill on a guy is a favourite down Moorabbin way (Blake), who was in our top ten b&f last year and over time has flown the red white and black flag with as much guts as any is a tough call.

I also think replacing Milne with Schnieder is a big step.

And as for resting Robert Harvey.......

I'm not looking for quick fixes. Ross Lyon has stated that there are no sacred cows at the STKFC. I am looking for hard decisions on entrenched players.

The team that lined up yesterday will not win the Premiership this year.

I do, however, think we still can.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We have many many players that can slot goals and so we can easily afford to drop Milne???? = No.

Milne has kicked 9 goals in 4 games...up on his long term average.

To win games you need to actually outscore your opposition on the scoreboard and in disposals etc.

We have a major shortage at the Saints of players who can actually kick goals regularly.

This would have been a big reason in why we went after Schneider...a player who can actually kick goals as well as win football.

Armo I like...as he shows promise of beinga mid who can kick goals.

Birrs is another who has the knack of kicking goals and for this reason should bea serious consideration as an in.

For my money if you wanta run with tag...drp Blake and play Birrs as Birrs will win his own ball and kick goals too.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Like he idea of Luke Ball in a forward pocket. Might mean we lay a tackle or two inside our attacking 50 for the first time this year :twisted:

Negates his lack of kicking penetration and pace. Is an underated overhead mark too.

If we dropped every bloke whos missed a set shot from 25 out this year. Eljay Connors and the Scorp seconds would be running around on Fri night. IMHO we need every lil bit of pace we can muster. No Lloyd or Lucas, they will be looking to run and carry, not bomb it long to those two. We must try and do the same. Break lines, take a chance. Run faster forwards than Essendon will flood back. Grammy did not bounce the ball once yesterday. When was the last time you saw that?

No Milne's tackling isnt great, but he at least he puts some pressure on the ball carrier rather than run beside him.

Clearances werent our problem yesterday, it was the way we butchered it once we did get it clear. For this reason I dont know if Armo gets a game..although if his kicking is on song that might sway me.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

What has become clear to me from reading all of this discussion is that our problems on Saturday did not largely emanate from the selection table.

I for one find it difficult to believe that we would have been a world-beating side with Gehrig, Milne, Blake, Harvey and Fiora out and Gardi, Schneider, Baker, Birss and Armo in.

Personally, I believe Fiora has well and truly earned the right to play a few games in the Scorps. He made a piss-poor contribution on Saturday.

But I wouldn't drop Blake, Milne or Gehrig. If it were up to me, I would drop Dempster and would move L Fisher back. I would then bring in Armo and also Schneider or perhaps Gwilt to replace Fiora. I'd persist with Kosi as second ruckman, but would put Gehrig on notice that Gardi might take his spot in a week or two if he doesn't lift his game. I'd also keep Jones and tell Gram that his position is under threat when Bakes comes back.

We don't need to make wholesale changes: we need the players who we have to lift their efforts.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift