How Ironic. The 'changing game'.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

How Ironic. The 'changing game'.

Funny that watching footy in 2008, is very much like watching St.Kilda play in 2004, 2005 and 2006.

Geelong attack, take risks, they're aggressive, attempt to genuinely outscore their opponents, have an air of healthy arrogance about them - and smash teams. Also not afraid of a visit to the tribunal.

Hawthorn are doing exactly the same. The Buldogs ditto. Same with Essendon.

Infact all teams are trying to attack. Be aggressive and kicks big scores. Move it quickly by hand and foot to open forward lines and contests where you back your forwards. Midfielders running forward of contests. Fiercely attacking the ball and the man with it.

All teams except one it seems.

I read alot on here that 'the game has changed' and has left us behind. I find it ironic that the successful style we see right now, is what we were very good at and suited to only 2 years ago.

It seems that the modern game isn't really that modern, it's something that has been successful for all premiership teams for a long time. All teams except the Steven Bradbury of the AFL - the Swans.

Have we outsmarted ourselves? Changed styles to a fad which within 2 years is obsolete?

It certainly appears that way.

Thoughts?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Gram is fast.

Sam Fisher is quick.

X Clarke is very fast.

Milne is quick.

Max is extremely quick.

Dal is fast.

Schneider has zip.

We're not slow.

We just play slow.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: How Ironic. The 'changing game'.

watching geelong on saturday made me think they learned a lot from the beltings we gave them a couple of years back.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Have to say I find it hard to pick holes in that assessment.

Can anyone throw me the defining point when we lost that high-scoring all-out-attack excitement from our game?

The system that we loved watching in those years - okay we didn't pull the flag but hell it was great to watch.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Bring back Grant Thomas.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Iceman234 wrote:Have to say I find it hard to pick holes in that assessment.

Can anyone throw me the defining point when we lost that high-scoring all-out-attack excitement from our game?

The system that we loved watching in those years - okay we didn't pull the flag but hell it was great to watch.
It may have been the point when it was realised 'that high-scoring all-out-attack excitement' was not going to deliver the ultimate success as a) we didn't win a flag and b) the coach and mastermind of the plan had absolutely no other cards to play.

Move on you dim-witted flog pedants.

Any team can operate on an all out attack game-plan.

The fact you think it is that simple astounds me.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

And here I was thinking that the topic was about how Carlscum have turned it around in the space of a week.....against an abysmal side that I happened to support.....oh the frustrations.

And u guys think u have problems...... :cry: :roll: :cry:

Washedup
Club Player

Funny that watching footy in 2008, is very much like watching St.Kilda play in 2004, 2005 and 2006.
How many cups did that style deliver us again?
Just another one that cant get over the GT era :oops:

mischa
Club Player

Don't think pace is an issue against most sides. This whole list thing is ridiculous. Injuries definitely a factor and have been in the past. But defy anyone to tell me that the Kangaroos and Collingwood (among...well everyone else) have vastly superior lists pace or any otherwise. The changing game thingy (that sounds like Robert Scumbag or Carol Ann Wilting) is ALL spin.

"Thanks korters. If Richmond kick more goals they'll win"-R.Scumbag (nee Walls)

The All Spin Zone-Saintsational.com
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Harsh Quixote - and quite rude.

I am not pro/anti GT or pro/anti RL. We have who we have and I am happy to support RL.

The attacking game style IS exciting to watch – watching other teams execute it at the moment is fantastic for spectators and their fans.

My request as to could anyone offer me a defining moment when we changed styles of play was met with vitriolic crap from you calling me a dim-witted flog pedant.

I have no alliances or allegiances to anyone here, I’m not aligned to any agenda’s for or against any particular coach, but I saw Rodgerfox’s assessment of our style of play from then compared to now as being legitimate.

I don’t know whether you noticed but we didn’t make the finals in 2007, let alone win the flag.

Currently in 2008 we have not reacted favorably to teams who have belted us mercilessly after the first quarter.

The fact that you haven’t seen that astounds me.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

dodgy, we are slow and have a very high percentage of players who have very ordinary skill levels at best.

in fact we are possibly the slowest team in the AFL

our overall skill level is pathetic

the game has changed, there are different rules in place in case you hadn't noticed

now back in your foxhole dodgy, you've got some muscle memory to attend to

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:It may have been the point when it was realised 'that high-scoring all-out-attack excitement' was not going to deliver the ultimate success as a) we didn't win a flag and b) the coach and mastermind of the plan had absolutely no other cards to play.
Geelong played pretty much our previous game plan – full on attack and won a flag by a record margin.

We missed out but we were playing a great style of play, spectator-wise.

Which style of play would you prefer to watch, given that Sydney won a flag with the slow defensive style and Geelong won one playing the exciting style?

Both styles can win flags, quite clearly.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Iceman234 wrote:Harsh Quixote - and quite rude.

I am not pro/anti GT or pro/anti RL. We have who we have and I am happy to support RL.

The attacking game style IS exciting to watch – watching other teams execute it at the moment is fantastic for spectators and their fans.

My request as to could anyone offer me a defining moment when we changed styles of play was met with vitriolic crap from you calling me a dim-witted flog pedant.

I have no alliances or allegiances to anyone here, I’m not aligned to any agenda’s for or against any particular coach, but I saw Rodgerfox’s assessment of our style of play from then compared to now as being legitimate.

I don’t know whether you noticed but we didn’t make the finals in 2007, let alone win the flag.

Currently in 2008 we have not reacted favorably to teams who have belted us mercilessly after the first quarter.

The fact that you haven’t seen that astounds me.
Iceman -

Was not have a go at you directly, though I see it would have seemed that way. The insult(s) were really directed at the dim-witted flog s***-stirrer who started this thread.

I am of the belief we are still trying to play an attacking game - but we are not doing it very well.

If you are looking for defining moments, try the 2005 prelim, to be precise, Adam Schnieders running goal half way through the last.

We tried the game-plan, if you'd call it that, and it turned out we didn't have the legs or courage to carry it out.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
Quixote wrote:It may have been the point when it was realised 'that high-scoring all-out-attack excitement' was not going to deliver the ultimate success as a) we didn't win a flag and b) the coach and mastermind of the plan had absolutely no other cards to play.
Geelong played pretty much our previous game plan – full on attack and won a flag by a record margin.

We missed out but we were playing a great style of play, spectator-wise.

Which style of play would you prefer to watch, given that Sydney won a flag with the slow defensive style and Geelong won one playing the exciting style?

Both styles can win flags, quite clearly.
I think the game has changed since Sydney won the flag and it looks as if Roos has changed the way Sydney have played since round one. If they can do it we can as well. By the way B4E I wouldnt think geelong are fast by foot but are very fast with hands and they share the ball more than any other side in the AFL. And clearly they are the best skilled side in the AFL. The game might have changed since 2004 but I dont understand how our skills were good back then but are no good now.

devil saint
Club Player

I think what this thread has established is that there is more to winning a game of football than a game plan. The players obviously need to execute it properly and our players, unfortunately, haven't been able to do that. If their disposal and goal kicking accuracy was good yesterday we wouldn't be having this discussion because we would have won the game or come very, very close.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

It's not necessarily about being "fast" in the true sense of the word - as a physical attribute. It's the teams that MOVE the ball fast, look to play on at each opportunity, and play first-option football, they're the teams that are attractive to watch. They don't necessarily have a lot of players who are quick (i.e. Geelong; Ling, Bartel, Corey, Milburn etc.)

The Saints are coming!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
If you are looking for defining moments, try the 2005 prelim, to be precise, Adam Schnieders running goal half way through the last.

We tried the game-plan, if you'd call it that, and it turned out we didn't have the legs or courage to carry it out.
You do recall who we were missing that night don't you?

And of who was actually playing, how many of them carrying injuries?

Yet we still hung on until 20 mins to go.

The 'game plan' certainly was not the issue that night.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:Have to say I find it hard to pick holes in that assessment.

It may have been the point when it was realised 'that high-scoring all-out-attack excitement' was not going to deliver the ultimate success as a) we didn't win a flag and b) the coach and mastermind of the plan had absolutely no other cards to play.

Move on you dim-witted flog pedants.

Any team can operate on an all out attack game-plan.

The fact you think it is that simple astounds me.
I find it amusing when people refer to the way we played as 'all out attack'.

Rubbish.

We were top 3 in defence statistically for 3 years straight.

Mind you, that was whilst we missed Max, Goose for large periods and had Penny and Aussie retire aswell.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Washedup wrote:
How many cups did that style deliver us again?
Just another one that cant get over the GT era :oops:
What does this have to with GT?

It wasn't a Thomas brain child to play a simple, successful game plan.

It's been done by premiership teams for decades.

It still is.

The thread is about the fact that ironically, 'the game has changed' supposedly so much, yet we're back to what was considered an out of date style only 2 years ago!

Hard at it
Club Player

Rubbish.

Mind you, that was whilst we missed Max, Goose for large periods and had Penny and Aussie retire aswell.
As has been pointed out by others, how much silverware did that deliver?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Hard at it wrote:

Rubbish.

As has been pointed out by others, how much silverware did that deliver?
For Brisbane? For West Coast? Or for Geelong?

It didn't deliver Geelong or West Coast anything for about 4 and 5 years respectively, but with perseverance, a little luck with injury and nerve they got the goods.

Hard at it
Club Player

We are only worried about St.Kilda winning flags here champ.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Hard at it wrote:We are only worried about St.Kilda winning flags here champ.
Sure, but on topic, do you see any irony in the fact that the 'successful' game style we're seeing in 2008 is pretty much what we gave away 2 years ago because it was considered 'out of date' and not 'modern' enough?

Patience is a wonderful attribute to have. And one that the St.Kilda Footy Club is not well known for.

I only hope that we keep our nerve with Ross Lyon.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Sure, but on topic, do you see any irony in the fact that the 'successful' game style we're seeing in 2008 is pretty much what we gave away 2 years ago because it was considered 'out of date' and not 'modern' enough?

Patience is a wonderful attribute to have. And one that the St.Kilda Footy Club is not well known for.

Ah!, the 'penny drops'.

Thisthread is just a clever oblique slap at the previous Board for sacking GT.

How many times have we seen thr rodgerfox 'get over it' post?

Maybe you should practice what you preach?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Ah!, the 'penny drops'.

Thisthread is just a clever oblique slap at the previous Board for sacking GT.

How many times have we seen thr rodgerfox 'get over it' post?

Maybe you should practice what you preach?
Huh?

GT's been mentioned a few times in this thread - but not by me.