More of the Cats players should have been reported

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markinUSA
SS Life Member

More of the Cats players should have been reported

I saw that the guy who hit Dal was reported.

But what about the guy who tripped Montagna? That could have broken his ankle, and that was clearly a reportable offence.

And what about the guy who knocked out X? That was just wrong! Not even a report for 'rough play'. Sheesh!!!

This is not sour grapes - I am not complaining because we lost - but my fiance Mollly (whose only been watching the Saints play for one year) had never seen a team play so rough. She was really upset. The AFL is always talking about increasing family attendance and encouraging women to come... of course, we watched it on TV, but still... she was genuinely upset.

I just wanted to vent... but I'd been surprised more people didn't feel the same way.

The commentators basically blamed X for not watching his opponent... but I felt that it was behind play... didn't really buy their suggestion that the ball was so close. It had gone downfield quite a while beforehand.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
St.Kenny
Club Player

Fair points but the real issue is why is the team not firing up because of it. Look at Carlton today after their boy was knocked out. Sammy Hamil must be squirming after watching the treatment dished out and the lack of response from our boys,,especially on the scoreboard. SUcks to me !

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
kalsaint
Club Player

Re: More of the Cats players should have been reported

markinUSA wrote:I saw that the guy who hit Dal was reported.

But what about the guy who tripped Montagna? That could have broken his ankle, and that was clearly a reportable offence.

And what about the guy who knocked out X? That was just wrong! Not even a report for 'rough play'. Sheesh!!!

This is not sour grapes - I am not complaining because we lost - but my fiance Mollly (whose only been watching the Saints play for one year) had never seen a team play so rough. She was really upset. The AFL is always talking about increasing family attendance and encouraging women to come... of course, we watched it on TV, but still... she was genuinely upset.

I just wanted to vent... but I'd been surprised more people didn't feel the same way.

The commentators basically blamed X for not watching his opponent... but I felt that it was behind play... didn't really buy their suggestion that the ball was so close. It had gone downfield quite a while beforehand.

I dont think Mooney or West are free from charges just yet.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

As a side issue, I don't believe we received a free kick from any of those 3 incidents! Obviously the umpires were cocentrating on fingernails touching players in marking contests and not players being 'tekn out', punched or kicked/tripped.

Mooney remonds me very much of Barry Hall - a timebomb ticking away and ready to explode. Numerous times during the game he would do something untoward to an opponent behind the play, much Hall.

saintDal
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:As a side issue, I don't believe we received a free kick from any of those 3 incidents! Obviously the umpires were cocentrating on fingernails touching players in marking contests and not players being 'tekn out', punched or kicked/tripped.

Mooney remonds me very much of Barry Hall - a timebomb ticking away and ready to explode. Numerous times during the game he would do something untoward to an opponent behind the play, much Hall.
Joey got a free kick and was given advantage I believe.

my les foote
Club Player

saintDal wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:As a side issue, I don't believe we received a free kick from any of those 3 incidents! Obviously the umpires were cocentrating on fingernails touching players in marking contests and not players being 'tekn out', punched or kicked/tripped.

Can't believe they would give a free kick for a trip and not report the player on the day.

Gamble was reported for striking Dal but I can't remember a free being paid.

Win it for HIM!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

my les foote wrote:
saintDal wrote:

Can't believe they would give a free kick for a trip and not report the player on the day.

Reported by the emergency umpire so no free can be paid. Mooney may get reported for what he did but unless I am mistaken that will not help us get the 4 points. I dont understand why it matters if they sre reported. If they deserve to be they will get picked up by the review panel and if not they will not.

james rose
Club Player

good hard bump on x nothing in it.. i was livid at x was right in front of me... thought he should of payed attention...

first week I have ever had a problem with x... really disappointed with his game

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
my les foote wrote:
saintDal wrote:

Reported by the emergency umpire so no free can be paid. Mooney may get reported for what he did but unless I am mistaken that will not help us get the 4 points. I dont understand why it matters if they sre reported. If they deserve to be they will get picked up by the review panel and if not they will not.
Maybe it's the persecution so many of us feel the AFL, and its various bodies, use against us?

Given we seem to have had a myriad of questionable charges laid against our players over the years, some of us would gain some satisfaction that when opposition players transgress against us they are also subject to the same 'rules' as we appear to be.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
my les foote wrote:
saintDal wrote:

Maybe it's the persecution so many of us feel the AFL, and its various bodies, use against us?

Given we seem to have had a myriad of questionable charges laid against our players over the years, some of us would gain some satisfaction that when opposition players transgress against us they are also subject to the same 'rules' as we appear to be.
Every club would feel the same. Why is there any logical reason the AFL would pick on the Saints.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

x needs to open his eyes....he's lucky the cats player wasnt at full steam.
how the hell did he not see that coming i have no idea.
u ALWAYS take a quick look/glance to see whats in ya way...shheeesh.
he might get a week for the incident.
mooney will get off.
whoever clocked Dal should get 4 and if they dont then all other tummy taps that have occured and got one and two weeks is a joke.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
my les foote wrote:
saintDal wrote:

Every club would feel the same. Why is there any logical reason the AFL would pick on the Saints.
Some people believe we are hard done by - you obviously don't.

Neither you nor they can prove it one way or the other.

I will be looking intently to see the decisions of the MRP/Tribunal vis-a-vis previous decisions against our players.

You of course believe that the AFL can do no wrong and anything they decide to do or not do is o.k.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
my les foote wrote:
saintDal wrote:

I will be looking intently to see the decisions of the MRP/Tribunal vis-a-vis previous decisions against our players.

You of course believe that the AFL can do no wrong and anything they decide to do or not do is o.k.
I didnt say they can do no wrong. I just want a logical reason why they would pick on us.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
my les foote wrote:
saintDal wrote:

I didnt say they can do no wrong. I just want a logical reason why they would pick on us.
Because they can if they want to!
Logical enough?

Oh, and BTW, have you ever posted anything critical of the AFL and/or its 'bodies'?

SainterX1
Club Player

Posted this in another thread:
Did anyone see the incident in the third quarter with play on the outer wing and I think it was Gilbert running 10 metres behind Gamble on the other wing. Gamble stopped, turned and coathangered Gilbert, putting him on the ground.

The emergency umpire went out to Gamble about half a minute later and looked at his number, but I haven't seen if he actually reported him.

Interested if anyone else saw it as it was about 80 metres off the ball.

Also, after the half time siren, as the players were walking off the ground, Mooney was walking behind Gilbert and hit him in the back of the head. It wasn't a hard hit, but was harder than some of these tummy taps they're getting suspended for these days (unless you play for Sydney)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

jesus christ do u have to f@#king quote everything evertime..??..
(not u sainterXI)
Last edited by matrix on Mon 14 Apr 2008 11:02am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

That is not a very logical answer and as for posting anything against the AFL I actually dont see the point as I have never said anything negative towards players from other teams. Dont see the point.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:jesus christ do u have to f@#king quote everything evertime..??..
Yes. When it is in context.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

well when u are just commenting on the last quote whats the point in putting up the last 5?

whatever.
we are so hard done by by the afl
:roll:
maybe if we learnt how to play it wouldnt matter.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:well when u are just commenting on the last quote whats the point in putting up the last 5?

whatever.
we are so hard done by by the afl
:roll:
maybe if we learnt how to play it wouldnt matter.
Thank you for your advice.

Could you also please give me some advice on spelling and grammar?
Or don't they count?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

and that has something to do with... what?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:and that has something to do with... what?
Just thought if you were handing out free advice you might want to advise me on those areas as well?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:That is not a very logical answer
In your opinion, but maybe not in mine or others'?

Is there a 'mod' or a 'commitee of mods' who determine what is 'logical' or not?

Or do we just rely on your opinion on it only?

StSteven
Club Player

Its this whinging and whining, namby pamby crap that I hate and why we Saints supporters have little credibility in the footy world. Always gonna be great if only.....injuries may have been a slight excuse but we have sunk to the bottom of the barrel here. It is embarassing,

The Cats were much better than us, they have worked better as a team, they have improved their skills, they have recruited well (look at Gamble - 2nd game, Taylor 1st or 2nd and Selwood, 18yrs old) and organized their club better.

We have run out of excuses. The Board has to do something to get the club to a level that we are proud of instead of blaming everybody else.

I am sick of this crap.

PS Just saw that the Cats, if they had not lost that game by a kick would have had the longest winning streak ever.......they are that good.

Also except for Ottens and Harley (1 game with Port) they have grown all of their players and recruited no others from other clubs, that is impressive recruitment and coaching.
Last edited by StSteven on Mon 14 Apr 2008 11:43am, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Just thought if you were handing out free advice you might want to advise me on those areas as well?
where did i hand out free advice?
i can see a few comments, even some questions......but free advice?

if im to get my spelling and grammar correct just for u.........then maybe u ought to get the facts right just for me????????????.