The hit on X

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

The hit on X

Um, this isnt about should have it been cited or what not...

Poor X seems to have zero vision, IMO there is no way he should have been in a position to get flattened, should have seen it coming, ala Kosi V bulldogs. Having played footy, I cant imagine not having half an eye on the figure coming towards me especially seeing as it was off the ball and the ball was travelling away from him/them.

Not trying to cast a slur on X, just wondering how it is so...

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Look out buddy, don't remotely suggest a Saints player is a victim of a conspiracy cos the mixed netball tema will be after you......

I've played footy too unlike others and I thought it was legit.

But put your little tin helmet on and wait for the rocks to be thrown from those who know better :roll:

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Re: The hit on X

iwantmeseats wrote:Um, this isnt about should have it been cited or what not...

Poor X seems to have zero vision, IMO there is no way he should have been in a position to get flattened, should have seen it coming, ala Kosi V bulldogs. Having played footy, I cant imagine not having half an eye on the figure coming towards me especially seeing as it was off the ball and the ball was travelling away from him/them.

Not trying to cast a slur on X, just wondering how it is so...
Him, his brother (Raph) and Kozzie, have always had terrible vision.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Yeah I tend to agree .Didnt like seeing it, but to me it was legit.

As suggested, poor vision. But peripheral vision is/should be natural for a footballer, certainly at AFL level.

Anyway, hope he is ok. X and his bro could do hammys doing up their boot laces. Good luck X.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Ok ok, there is another thread on this already I didnt see. I cant read the whole bloody lot before I post something! :D

RoseInOz
Club Player

Just thought I would let you know that my optometrist told me she treated X in Alice Springs. He is very short-sighted and wears contact lenses when playing. She treated him when he was being "scouted" by AFL recruiters. He was wearing glasses and his management took him into get contacts. She said he may have had surgery since then to correct his eye-sight.

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

RoseInOz wrote:Just thought I would let you know that my optometrist told me she treated X in Alice Springs. He is very short-sighted and wears contact lenses when playing. She treated him when he was being "scouted" by AFL recruiters. He was wearing glasses and his management took him into get contacts. She said he may have had surgery since then to correct his eye-sight.
The Clarke family hail from just out of Darwin. That is a bloody long way from Alice Springs. Must be a bloody good optometrist for X to travel that far for a consultation :roll: !!

RoseInOz
Club Player

Sorry I was thinking Darwin and wrote Alice Springs (blonde moment). She was working as a locum optometrist for OPSM

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

It was legit, X didn't look where he was running. End of story.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Legit or not (personally I think not) to me the worrying signs were:

A) No player made the effort to come up the ground to see X

B) No player remonstrated

To me it was the Robert Harvey '97 GF team reaction all over again, they get away with a big hit and we do nothing. They huddle up, pat West on the back and say these blokes couldn't give a stuff about each other, they are too busy catching their breath and doubting their abilities. We huddle up, caych our breath and doubt our abilities. I might be wrong but that may be known as a turning point.

jill
Club Player

Have now replied to at least 3 threads - X - only has eyes on ball & play , West only has eyes on player! - ball at least 15 - 20m away - cowardly & reportable - but it's ok - only a Saint - they won't complain ! Reverse situation bet X would have been cited. It's only Saints players such as Kosi, Ball & X who have "peripheral vision problems"!!!!
Just get SO EXASPERATED by the inconsistencies at the tribunal! :evil:

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Have also replied to multiple threads.

Short story is MRP agree with me.

It was a fair hit and we are soft by not

a. dishing them out

and

b. remonstrating.

But FFS stop whinging about it.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

jill wrote:Have now replied to at least 3 threads - X - only has eyes on ball & play , West only has eyes on player! - ball at least 15 - 20m away - cowardly & reportable - but it's ok - only a Saint - they won't complain ! Reverse situation bet X would have been cited. It's only Saints players such as Kosi, Ball & X who have "peripheral vision problems"!!!!
Just get SO EXASPERATED by the inconsistencies at the tribunal! :evil:
No apparently Jeff Farmer has peripheral vision, or even direct vision because he cant see a player directly in front of him but in that circumstance Baker gets four weeks.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
ace
Saintsational Legend

X wasn't looking where he was going, West got in his path. X get knocked out.
Someone else was not looking where he was going, a guy stops in his path, someone else gets knocked out.
Baker gets 6 matches!
AFL is an abbrevaition for corruption.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

So many conspiracy theorists - take it to the general forum.

It was cleared.

It was a bump that we would have been talking about for weeks if it was our player who laid it.

Get over it and ask for our players to toughen up and lay them, rather than "errr, he hit our player, sook sook....."

I would be stoked if one of our players could make an oppo pay like that.

Harden up.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

baker v farmer anyone?

consistency much?

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
kp83
Club Player

RoseInOz wrote:Just thought I would let you know that my optometrist told me she treated X in Alice Springs. He is very short-sighted and wears contact lenses when playing. She treated him when he was being "scouted" by AFL recruiters. He was wearing glasses and his management took him into get contacts. She said he may have had surgery since then to correct his eye-sight.
So much for patient confidentiality!! I wouldn't ever go back to this person if they make a habit of letting the world know who they've treated and what there condition is! Extremely unethical!!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

RoseInOz wrote:Just thought I would let you know that my optometrist told me she treated X ... He is very short-sighted and wears contact lenses when playing.
He must be the only aboriginal player to have poor eyesight, then again he is only part aboriginal. I read once that Aboriginal people have natural "polarized" sight, which allows them to see through reflections off shining surfaces, like water when spearing fish. How that relates to a football game I'll let others speculate. Might come in handy if he is near Chris Judd on a sunny day (like me Chris parts his hair down the middle - a very wide part).
Last edited by perfectionist on Tue 15 Apr 2008 2:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:So many conspiracy theorists - take it to the general forum.

It was cleared.

It was a bump that we would have been talking about for weeks if it was our player who laid it.

Get over it and ask for our players to toughen up and lay them, rather than "errr, he hit our player, sook sook....."

Harden up.

You've missed the point.

I pine for the days when this type of contact was Ok and part of the game.

However in 2008, like it or not, you cannot clean someone up more than 10m off the ball. You cannot get someone above the shoulder - accidental or not. You cannot charge someone out of a contest.

The MRP got it wrong. Full stop.

It was illegal according to the laws of the game.

Whether or not it should be illegal, or whether or not X should have seen it coming is completely and utterly irrelevant. Certainly worth discussing, but by no means could be possibly used to claim it was a legit bump.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:

Harden up.

I would too. Although I'd completely expect them to get weeks for it - as it is against the rules.

The MRP were wrong.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Seems strange to me that Baker gets done for "rough contact" when performing a block, and West gets off commiting rough contact witch is explained by the tribunal as a block.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Megamaguire
Club Player

Saint K. seen as soft target by tribunal

Not only in regard to the Baker fiasco but in not punishing the geewrong grunt for taking out an opposition player 30m. OFF play. Laughable at best.

They are making it up as they go along. Too many inconsistencies.
I was relieved that X-man came back on later in the game. We need Baker back not for playing dirty but for adding some solidity. Glad that Brendan and Matty got one game under their belEnjoyed seeing Kosi skittle Scarlett - fairly while going after the ball.

I am very concerned about the serious mental lapses that are currently threatening the future success of this team. We need Switched on kicking strategies. To pick on Milne for a moment his kick out of bounds was ridiculous coming from such a talented senior player. Not surprised Raph was dropped. Jones adds more speed with grunt.

K I C K S T R A I G H T S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
elphie
Club Player

FLY THE FLAG Sainters!!!!!! for truck-sake.
i hope we find our physical, intimidating stlye of play again. coz i felt like the little kid bullied in the schoolyard whilst watching the Cattery, esp. with West on Clarke and Gamble on Dal.
By the way, how can you say Clarke could anticipate a hip and shoulder more than 5 metres off the ball? We call it behind the play and may not have meant a suspension for a fair hit but sure should have been raised by the tribunal and attract some penalty points. Bet the AFL will be first to stamp out behind the play hits if become more regular and serious just like the past!

BRING BACK BAKES NOW!@#$