Forward Line

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Forward Line

Was the problem.....

The players

or

The Structure????

This week Michael will match Kosi......and Ryder will run with Reiwoldt...and Dustin Fletcher will continually be the third man up, mopping up all long balls.....so we will not be able to go long and direct, instead play slow, safe, measured, low scoring footy which will keep a lowly team in the contest for 100 minutes (when head to head we would belt them).......it would be nice if Fletcher was forced to defend a big fwd...

Lyon's Fwd line structure has been hideous....with the tall timber continually getting in the way of one another....why has he not played at least one high.....if not two.....

Kosi at the top of the f50....continually in motion, working to the centre, and back to square (most dangerous running toward goal) .... should be our long target out of defence - Schnieder at his feet

G starting deep, and leading into pockets on big opponents, wrestling one on one against smaller ones....he is a proven goalkicker - Milne at his feet...

Roo....start high, and hit up to the wings and even into defense.....but also work hard into f50 on the double back....occasionally start deep if the match up suites....or needs a breather

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Problem Roo has Tender Knees
Gehrig is old and slow
Kosi hasn't got great pace when ball hits the ground

So i'd so using the 3 big talls as soon as the ball comes to ground we're behind the 8 ball.

Charlie will help with his mobility.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Charlie has kicked 25 goals in 50 games.....good lead up 4th fwd.....not a scoreboard danger

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:Problem Roo has Tender Knees
i don't buy that as an excuse. if he's not fit he shouldn't be out there at all and imo continually flying against two and three defenders can't be good for the knees, nor can all the propping and stopping he does.

the decision i would have made to keep all three in is riewoldt to wing, kosi chf and gehrig ff.

having said that i still think we'll win, probably quite comfortably.

i hope we haven't seen to last of fraser, who has been our leading goal-kicker every year since 2003.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Charlie has kicked 25 goals in 50 games.....good lead up 4th fwd.....not a scoreboard danger
gilbert's a better option from what i've seen. more dangerous around the goals.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Well the mail was to watch for Bally to play forward, and we also have Gilbert who has shown some forward ability. SO perhaps the idea is to create a situation with a more even spread of goalkickers, somewhat nuliifying key defenders who can hurt on the rebound. All weel and good for Michael or Ryder to towel up their man, but if the ball is being directed through other forwards their advantage is diminished.

THe inclusion of armo and charlie is designed to do 2 things in my opinion.

Add more run to our forward line (CG).

See Bally play forward more (maybe rotating with armo) to apply more defensive pressure inside 50.

I am not convinced of dropping GTrain, but having said that, I think our lineup looks more flexible, has more run, and may just force our mids to take their shots at goal. I also think we have increased our inside ball-winning ability and that is how to stop the run of the bombers, don't let them get their hands on the pill and smash them physically at the stoppages.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Reading this thread it's back to the draft we go looking for Forwards with less ailments and more skill........

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Reading this thread it's back to the draft we go looking for Forwards with less ailments and more skill........
What about that guy in your avatar?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Reading this thread it's back to the draft we go looking for Forwards with less ailments and more skill........
Good point......when will he get his chance....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Otiman wrote:
Good point......when will he get his chance....
His last 3 weeks in the VFL, compared to Charlie Gardiner.

R1: 1 goal (Gardiner 3)
R2: 3 goals (game high) (Gardiner 0)
R3: 1 goal (Gardiner 1)

This puts him ahead of Charlie on goals for the season, although Gardiner was named 2nd best in round 1, no bests nominations for Allen.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen any Casey games this year, and have listened to rounds 2 and 3 on the radio.