Brett Voss on SEN re: his brother's article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Brett Voss on SEN re: his brother's article

They just interviewed Brett Voss on SEN who is at the game tonight with regards to his brothers article and he thought half his former teamates dont know how to play as team and aren't willing to sacrifice for each other - he didn't name names however he did mention Baker as the perfect example as a player willing to do anything for the team - he mentioned that there was bit of immaturity amongst the playing group and a feeling of enviability that they would win a premiership rather than working at it. He did say that once the penny drops and realise what is needed they are capable of going all the way - pretty damning really - an interesting insiders view from an ex player

Sorry a bit garbled trying to type as I listened

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Buckets
SS Life Member

Re: Brett Voss on SEN re: his brother's article

Devilhead wrote:They just interviewed Brett Voss on SEN who is at the game tonight with regards to his brothers article and he thought half his former teamates dont know how to play as team and aren't willing to sacrifice for each other - he didn't name names however he did mention Baker as the perfect example as a player willing to do anything for the team - he mentioned that there was bit of immaturity amongst the playing group and a feeling of enviability that they would win a premiership rather than working at it. He did say that once the penny drops and realise what is needed they are capable of going all the way - pretty damning really - an interesting insiders view from an ex player

Sorry a bit garbled trying to type as I listened
Gee that is very damning coming from Brett! Seems as though there is a few of us out there who see one of the big problems with the team!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

actually I mentioned last year when we beat carlton that it seemed we bludgeoned them with raw talent rather than playing as a team.

i think those underestimating our talent are way off the mark.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

exactly the way I think too, I think it was 2006 when we were playing badly and the media really got into us after rnd 6 or so, and we then started to play as a team.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

not always bad, when we beat sydney at the start of the season and the cats we really gelled as a team so its there.

when we ground sydney to dust that was disciplined football, i'd take that tbh.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I remember years ago when the young midfield were being touted as the new Voss, Black, Lappin, Aka etc. and they were saying which saint was which. Perhaps they believed it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I think our third quarter against Essendon tonight exemplifies the very point Voss is making.

It is so plain to see. Even the biggest arm chair observer can tell that this team has got it's main problem between the ears.

Saintsime
Club Player

Just heard Lenny on ABC radio. He mentioned that they have not been playing as a team and that all 22 have to put in.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

brett voss was always about the team and loyalty.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:brett voss was always about the team and loyalty.
Absolutely courageous, how many times did we see B. Voss back into a pack. Never flinched. Always went in hard for the ball and you know what when, him, Brent Guerra, and Black were playing for the Saints we were a team that played hard and played for each other. Yeah we got injuries and yeah we got suspensions but hey...we won lots and teams feared us. It was when we moddelled ourselves on the lions of 01-03.

Broodruff
Club Player

Saintsime wrote:Just heard Lenny on ABC radio. He mentioned that they have not been playing as a team and that all 22 have to put in.
I dont think this is about all 22 players putting in.
I think its players playing for each other, not just themselves.

It might just be because its the first time I've watched a game all season (night shifts on weekends :cry: ) but something I really noticed tonight (probably due to commentators pointing it out to me) was shepparding.

One particular incident sticks out. Riewoldt has the ball, Bombers player snapping at his heels. I can already see it in my mind, its happened so many times before: Roo gets run down, spills the ball, threat elimiated.
That tackle never came. Roo had more than enough time to set (cant for the life of me remember who) up for a nice goal.

There is a BIG difference between all players putting in, and players playing for each other.
Personally, seeing all of the boys throwing there bodys in against the bombers, simply to buy an extra second for each other. That made me smile.

I think that we have one of the best teams, on paper, in the competition. But of late we haven't been able to do anything with it. I think that getting this issue out in the open, getting people speaking about it will do wonders, and if rectified, will turn the best team on paper - into the best team on the field, and on game day as well.

Richter
SS Life Member

Broodruff wrote: something I really noticed tonight (probably due to commentators pointing it out to me) was shepparding.

There is a BIG difference between all players putting in, and players playing for each other.
Personally, seeing all of the boys throwing there bodys in against the bombers, simply to buy an extra second for each other. That made me smile.
Yep, me too - thought our desperation, hunger and willingness to throw the body in front of the ball was excellent. Armitage in particular was absolutely fearless in this regard. Showed some of his more experienced colleagues the way to go about it.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
kalsaint
Club Player

Broodruff wrote:
Saintsime wrote:Just heard Lenny on ABC radio. He mentioned that they have not been playing as a team and that all 22 have to put in.
I dont think this is about all 22 players putting in.
I think its players playing for each other, not just themselves.

It might just be because its the first time I've watched a game all season (night shifts on weekends :cry: ) but something I really noticed tonight (probably due to commentators pointing it out to me) was shepparding.

One particular incident sticks out. Riewoldt has the ball, Bombers player snapping at his heels. I can already see it in my mind, its happened so many times before: Roo gets run down, spills the ball, threat elimiated.
That tackle never came. Roo had more than enough time to set (cant for the life of me remember who) up for a nice goal.

I think that we have one of the best teams, on paper, in the competition. But of late we haven't been able to do anything with it. I think that getting this issue out in the open, getting people speaking about it will do wonders, and if rectified, will turn the best team on paper - into the best team on the field, and on game day as well.
As Grant used to say, do the selfless acts. I keep referring to protecting the ball player. This something we haven't done consistently for some time and I believe is the reason we have been challenged by the speedy teams for the first time in a long time.

Generally when we are accountable and protect each other we strangle the bulldogs and win hansomly because we are able to move the ball fast to tall forwards. They then become effective golad ickers because they then tend to leading more centrally expecting the good ball delivery.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency