Nick Maxwell's Champions League

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintgus
Club Player

Nick Maxwell's Champions League

Has anyone checked out Collingwood player Nick Maxwell's idea about the New AFL Season where there would be a Champions League and a normal premiership. I think it sounds awesome. Would be quality if it actually occurred.

Link is http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/Default.asp ... 3....check it out

Saints for the flag 2010
saintgus
Club Player

Saints for the flag 2010
Wollongong_saint
Club Player

Terrible idea. The 8 non-afl teams would be eliminated in the first week and then it would just become a distraction from the real games.

The Champions League idea he is stealing from European Soccer works because its the best teams from all of the leagues......this would just be a strange parallel to the premiership season and would kill the momentum of teams from game to game.

Bevan Shorluey
Club Player

Nick who?

my les foote
Club Player

Maxwell yes, Smart no.

Win it for HIM!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Wollongong_saint wrote:Terrible idea. The 8 non-afl teams would be eliminated in the first week and then it would just become a distraction from the real games.
There are no AFL teams. It will be all of the VFL/SANFL/WAFL affiliated clubs, from what I read of it.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:There are no AFL teams. It will be all of the VFL/SANFL/WAFL affiliated clubs, from what I read of it.
It would be made up of 32 teams in total and would include all 18 AFL sides, the top four VFL and SANFL clubs from the previous season, both grand finalists from the WAFL and the reigning premiers from the Queensland, Sydney, Northern Territory and Tasmanian state leagues

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

who is nick maxwell to plan an overhaul of the afl?

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
starsign
Club Player

who is nick maxwell to plan an overhaul of the afl?

get it right ....hes merely suggesting...proposing
and as a fellow human being has every right to air his opinion....just my friend like you!

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

starsign wrote:who is nick maxwell to plan an overhaul of the afl?

get it right ....hes merely suggesting...proposing
and as a fellow human being has every right to air his opinion....just my friend like you!
well i'm just suggesting...proposing that a bloke with no credibilty shouldn't be auditioning for the job of dimwit.

starsign
Club Player

well i'm just suggesting...proposing that a bloke with no credibilty shouldn't be auditioning for the job of dimwit.
your merely displaying your own credibility to be guaranteed the job of dimwit
quit before they give it to you

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I like it....Love the idea of VFL teams competing above their weight...And especially would love to see the Adelaide/Port Vs SANFL teams.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

starsign wrote:
your merely displaying your own credibility to be guaranteed the job of dimwit
quit before they give it to you

quit what?? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

rexy
SS Life Member

I love it, Far to imaginative for the AFL to consider but would be a great spectacle IMO. Especially the first round where you could schedule some big name sides to play on suburban grounds, Imagine the crowd at Alberton to see the PA Magpies take on Collingwood.

All Rookie listed players should be allowed to be selected for Champions League games.

All it needs is a big Sponsor to put say 5 million dollars on the table and it could work.

Maybe this year?
midas_touch
Club Player

I like the idea, but the only difficulty is how the first round games are going to be scheduled, considering that there will be 16 matches.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
noddy

my les foote wrote:Maxwell yes, Smart no.
LOL :D :D

Saints_45
Club Player

How about promotion and relegation? Say top 2 teams from WAFL, SANFL and VFL play a round robin for one or two spots in the AFL. Would this also stop tanking as yes you would get a great draft pick, however you play in a lower league and would prob lose many other players. And if free agency came in then the upcoming teams can recruit also.

Yes its a silly idea and it's probably a little extreme but hey would spice things up.

nicko016
Club Player

I quite like it because it would be interesting and a bit different, but it would probably not practically work.

My idea to solve the fixture would be to extend the season to 25 and 26 rounds and scrap the NAB Cup, but I guess they could still have it also. One season would be 25 rounds where you play every team once and 8 teams twice while the following year it would be 26 rounds in which you play every team once and the other 9 teams twice. Then ideally, you could have a VIC vs. Dreamteam game every 2nd year when the season is 25 rounds.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Why would AFL clubs bother? What is the motivation?

And if it was taken seriously by AFL clubs, how could the state league teams expect to be competitive? Especially since they probably wouldn't have the reserves from their AFL affilliate.