One of the most IMPORTANT areas of our game to be improved..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

One of the most IMPORTANT areas of our game to be improved..

Kicking for goal.

There are a lot of areas which need to be improved but if our goalkciking improved say 20% we would be in a lot more contests. Geelong seemed to run away from us because the game was over, but if had've kicked say 7.4 in the first quarter and still got the first goal of the 2nd term, all of a sudden, the lead is 28 poitns against the previous year's premiers and we have all the momentum.

Now I's sure that everyone does goalkicking practises at training but if I were coach, I would employ the following strategy.

First, for one hour, I would make the players review a sample of goals from set shots, play and all sorts of situations to watch the different kicking styles, techniques and what not.

Every week, every player needs to take a hundred shots at goal.
Seventy of these are set shots, with someone on the mark from the following locations:

Directly in front - from 30 metres and 45 metres. (ten from each distance)

45 degree angle - from both the left and right pockets. (ten from each side)

On the boundary line - from both the left and right flanks. (Again ten from each side)

Outside fifty from directly in front. (Ten).

The last thirty are all on the run or in play. From a variety of imporvised situations much like their goalkicking practice during pre-match warm ups.

Every player has their results recorded and reviewed.

There is NO PUNISHMENT for bad results but everyone should strive for a pass mark.

A pass mark is dependant both on their position and their ability.

Ie - Riewoldt and Koschitzke as highly-skilled forwards are expected to nail at least EIGHTY-FIVE percent of the goals. Luke Ball, a midfilder who is reknowned for not having a very long kick would be expected to get THIRTY percent (lenient I know but considering thirty percent alone are from outside fifty, I need to make allowances)

They should always strive to achieve the best results they can and to beat their previous best. (players like Harvey would thrive on that sort of opputunity)

It will improve everyone's goalkciking and most importantly confidence.
I think our confidence is a huge jey to our woeful goal kicking.

This is purely a hypothetical so I'm not saying this needs to happen but we do need to work on goalkicking to enhance our chances of remaining competitive in more matches.
Last edited by OneEyedSainter77 on Mon 21 Apr 2008 12:13am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Yes agree but

add to that disposal , I noticed we made the same errors V Cats and they mopped it up whereas the Bombers didnt.

Before Im 85
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

there are many areas...not just one

its one win ffs...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

IMO disposal efficiency is very poor

Hayes, Montagna, Gram, Hudghton, Maguire, Jones, Blake are all hit and miss by foot....

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I think we should look into bringing in some of the sports science technology that Adelaide currently have, it helps them with their accuracy and decision making without putting a strain on their body...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:there are many areas...not just one

its one win ffs...
Just some perspective mate. Am I starting sixty different threads about how we are going to dominate the competition? No. I am merely stating that if we improve our goalkicking, we will have a 20% chance of being more competitive.

The thread title in retrospect is a little ridiculous and I do concede there are several areas to oimprove BUT goalkicking is the msot important.

Thread title amended.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

The following is a snapshot of the top teams plus and including those we’ve played – have included the Hawks as they are a benchmark at the moment also.

Percentages of goals from scoring shots:

Geelong 53% (167 scoring shots for)
Hawks 55% (162)
Dogs 59% (170)
Swans 52% (127)
Blues 58% (130)
Essendon 59% (128)

Saints 51% (135)

Opponents percentages of goals from scoring shots:

Geelong 46% (120 scoring shots against)
Hawks 49% (121)
Dogs 55% (134)
Swans 37% (119)
Blues 60% (135)
Essendon 57% (157)

Saints 59% (122)

JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:The following is a snapshot of the top teams plus and including those we’ve played – have included the Hawks as they are a benchmark at the moment also.

Percentages of goals from scoring shots:

Geelong 53% (167 scoring shots for)
Hawks 55% (162)
Dogs 59% (170)
Swans 52% (127)
Blues 58% (130)
Essendon 59% (128)

Saints 51% (135)

Opponents percentages of goals from scoring shots:

Geelong 46% (120 scoring shots against)
Hawks 49% (121)
Dogs 55% (134)
Swans 37% (119)
Blues 60% (135)
Essendon 57% (157)

Saints 59% (122)

That's very interesting Iceman. Look at the Swans opponents' scoring accuracy - 37%!!!! Some of this is due to pressure on shots in general play. Some of it is also due to our accuracy against them in round 1. But some of it must surely be luck. Some of the set shots and unpressured shots Geelong missed against them were just lucky (for the Swans).

I wonder what our opponents accuracy % would be ifrom rounds 2-5, with the Swans innacuracy in round 1 not included? Pushing 70% I'd imagine. We've had an unlucky month in terms of opponents' accuracy!

With respect to the original post, elements of goal kicking practice ideally need to simulate game conditions ie. when fatigued or suffering oxygen debt. I imagine this is hard to do, especially with such a focus on players recovering from the previous week's match. I'm interested in what Armoooo mentioned about systems in place in Adelaide. Does anyone have any links they could post regarding this?

Add to this the pressure of the game situation ie. when missing actually matters. This is almost impossible to simulate.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

yeah, I understand that; its only hypothtetical anyway. its just a system basically to work out WHAT the players are capable of. But the thirty shots from in play would be a variety of pre-determined situations, and I would probably do it at the end of a training session to bring the fatigue factor into it.

Pressure is something we don't thrive on enough. I think this is why we haven't been able to make a substantial comeback since the 40 point comeback at Pussy park in 1999.

I think pressure is the biggest problem for us. Geelong, Sydney and West Coast all thrive on it/ used to thrive on it when they were good. (poor west coast :P ) but we panic and get defensive and make silly errors and lack in judgment.

I actually am glad I'm not the coach because missing the shots they do would drive me mad. It drives me amd enough as a spectator.

JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:yeah, I understand that; its only hypothtetical anyway. its just a system basically to work out WHAT the players are capable of. But the thirty shots from in play would be a variety of pre-determined situations, and I would probably do it at the end of a training session to bring the fatigue factor into it.

Pressure is something we don't thrive on enough. I think this is why we haven't been able to make a substantial comeback since the 40 point comeback at Pussy park in 1999.

I think pressure is the biggest problem for us. Geelong, Sydney and West Coast all thrive on it/ used to thrive on it when they were good. (poor west coast :P ) but we panic and get defensive and make silly errors and lack in judgment.

I actually am glad I'm not the coach because missing the shots they do would drive me mad. It drives me amd enough as a spectator.
Believe me, I hear you! Our goal kicking drives me up the wall until there is no wall left!

The pressure thing is so true as well. I never felt comfortable at all against the Dons. I couldn't enjoy being up by 7-8 goals because I knew If Essendon applied a little scorebaord pressure with a few lucky consecutive goals (that all sides get in a game) we would get all nervous and bring them back into the game. It's happened against Syd, Dogs, Geelong and Essendon. Dominated all of them early but were spooked as soon as they matched our intensity for a while.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

St. Kilda are one of the worst sides for accuracy in the comp.

We currently sit 12th in accuracy (scoring shots only), and are the worst currently in the 8. In 2007, we finished 15th in this stat (49%), with only Collingwood behind us.

As an interesting note given how narrowly many Saints games were decided, had the Saints shot at average accuracy (52%), it would have resulted in 15.4 more goals over the course of the season, and lifted percentage to just over 100.

It's an issue.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

It's not just practice. There are technical issues as well. Teams kick better when they are full of confidence although the great players kick well all the time. Some players are blessed with strong muscles in the thighs and calves ie. Lockert, Ablett, Hird and Dal Santo. This allows for a full drive - their kicks never seem to "wobble" and their misses are more to do with leg swing direction than anything else. Narrowing the gap between letting the ball go and making foot contact also improves accuracy. Lockett was the best I saw at this - he almost seemed to "place " the ball on his foot, not an easy thing to do if you want distance as well.

I would like to think that every player has had his kicking style filmed with the ultra slo mo, for both field kicks and goal kicks. Then, an analysis needs to be made to detect errors which can be remedied - some can't, like calf muscle size (unless you play for West Coast). Then a program of improvement, which is the focus of the practice, should be planned. Every player will have subtle differences unless they are identical twins. But just going out and having "shots" simply reinforces bad habits and doesn't redress them.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:It's not just practice. There are technical issues as well. Teams kick better when they are full of confidence although the great players kick well all the time. Some players are blessed with strong muscles in the thighs and calves ie. Lockert, Ablett, Hird and Dal Santo. This allows for a full drive - their kicks never seem to "wobble" and their misses are more to do with leg swing direction than anything else. Narrowing the gap between letting the ball go and making foot contact also improves accuracy. Lockett was the best I saw at this - he almost seemed to "place " the ball on his foot, not an easy thing to do if you want distance as well.

I would like to think that every player has had his kicking style filmed with the ultra slo mo, for both field kicks and goal kicks. Then, an analysis needs to be made to detect errors which can be remedied - some can't, like calf muscle size (unless you play for West Coast). Then a program of improvement, which is the focus of the practice, should be planned. Every player will have subtle differences unless they are identical twins. But just going out and having "shots" simply reinforces bad habits and doesn't redress them.
couldn't agree more with you about Plugger's goal kicking - not only was he deadly accurate, but a huge majority of his goals he split the middle......quite a number of our goals have just snuck in of late!

Taking your point re strong thigh muscles - I wonder if our new you-beaut fitness and conditioning crew we have on hand will mean stronger bodies, and therefore better kickers of the ball. In that, I don't just mean more accurate kicks at goal, but better run of the mill field kicking.

IMO what has been lacking at St.Kilda for the past decade is overall poor field kicking by 80%+ of the team.....most other top 8 teams appear to kick the ball with much more authority and poise.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintDippa
Club Player

One area where we will see if there has been any improvement is toughness. Williams has set Port a challenge every time we play them to test us physically. Milne is always targetted as is Lenny.

Need to step up and not wilter last last year.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Gee, it's nice to see someone responding AFTER they have read what I said. So much of kicking is an inexact science. But, that which can be controlled - SHOULD be controlled. Being in front of the game should be the aim of the coaching panel, not an easy task given 16 teams. Are we the best, in this respect, is the question?

Dunno about Milne, but Lenny yes. He is a super player, and a super man and a super person, in my humble opinion.