The "art" of the sledge

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plumtire
Club Player

The "art" of the sledge

It has to be a slow week for stories if they are dragging out the so-called sledge of Riewoldt on Lovett for endless debate. Its clear from the footage that Riewoldt searched-out Andrew lovett to make some gesture of conciliation/regret for the remarks he yelled during the heat of the game.
I'm not sure what makes me feel more sick. The hypocrisy of Voss or the moral outrage of Wilson. People are "sledged" every day. Kids at school get bullied and sledged. Apprentices at work are made to feel wretched as part of "growing up" The use of personal abuse has gone on since the dawn of time it is part of being human!!! None of us are perfect and all of us have said things we should not have said but for gawds sake?! let the parties involved move on and lets not be so precious!

Australians have sledging at the very heart of their culture. Some of the most ignorant,bigoted and cruel things are said to new workmates on their first day and the victims are expected to accept this as "humour"
Of course when the boot is on the other foot they dont like it!
Sledging has no place in sport, but then in their hearts Aussies know this. (watch the "Sunday Footy Show" and how one panellist is usually singled out for ribbing and how when he responds in kind the attackers retreat) but continue to make heroes of the sledgers in sport!
Gentlemen your double standards are showing! :evil:

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

The whole discussion of sledging this week has reminded me of the Stephen Powell sledge on Cameron Ling in the first seconds of the 2004 Wizard Cup Grand Final.

I would love to see this again. I have tried YouTube but couldn't find it.

Does anyone have a link to this classic.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
suss
Club Player

I was happy when I heard it was Joey...I'm absolutely wrapped that it turned out to be Roo. He's toughened up over the past couple of years and got bit spunk about him. I dig that!!! :twisted:

As for Caro, Australia'a moral authority, I find it rather surpising that she has a go at Roo for saying it rather than Lovett for doing it. Witch.

And as for Voss, I've lost complete respect for him. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that Buckley's post-retirement opinion and commentating make Voss look like an amatuer. Heaven help the football team he ends up coaching...he seems miles off the pace.

plumtire
Club Player

The "art" of the sledge

Michael Voss has to be the most two-faced person in the media. The biggest sledger in a team of thugs gets all "S.N.A.G." on us now that hes a "suit" on the box. obviously does not mind king hitting someone outside a pub and then talks about "class" GET ME A SICKBAG!!!!!! :evil:

markinUSA
SS Life Member

In my cricket team, we actually give out end of season prizes for 'best sledge'. If you can do something that's smart and funny and amuses everyone, it's legendary! We talk about past sledge for years, if they are a classic.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Sledging never works for me. Last time I tried it, the young fella hit me over the midwicket boundary!! Keep my mouth shut now! :lol:

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Sledging never works for me. Last time I tried it, the young fella hit me over the midwicket boundary!! Keep my mouth shut now! :lol:
Could it be that you are no more than a pie chucker? :roll: :wink: :roll: :wink: !!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Even the great man Robert Harvey sledges...

"Take a look at my arse Crawf....you're gonna be following it around all day" lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
mischa
Club Player

Re: The "art" of the sledge

plumtire wrote:Michael Voss has to be the most two-faced person in the media. The biggest sledger in a team of thugs gets all "S.N.A.G." on us now that hes a "suit" on the box. obviously does not mind king hitting someone outside a pub and then talks about "class" GET ME A SICKBAG!!!!!! :evil:
Uhhh...I know sickmaking. Hypocrites all for one and one for all. He must be great friends with Robert Scumbag-I mean I'm surmising. On the evidence it just makes sense!

"Thanks korters. If Richmond kick more goals they'll win"-R.Scumbag (nee Walls)

The All Spin Zone-Saintsational.com
happy feet
Club Player

Best sledge

An e-mail went around with some of the best sledges. I loved this one.

At Adelaide oval....

Javed Miandad called Merv Hughes a dumb fat bus conducter. About two deliveries later, Merv knocked down Javed's middle stump.

When Javed walked past Merv he copped this one...

"Tickets please!"

super dooper
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:Sledging never works for me. Last time I tried it, the young fella hit me over the midwicket boundary!! Keep my mouth shut now! :lol:
dont let that get you down, i bowl spin so a lot of batters go after me, but end of the day you have the last say and it is sooo sweeet when you get them out and you absolutely bamboozle them. Sometimes silence is enough, but a little reminder that your better certainly doesnt hurt :wink:

I was actually glad to see that Riewoldt has a bit of mungrel in him out on the field, its a good kind of aggression. Maybe explains why he doesnt ever poll so well in the brownlow :shock:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

sledging is fantastic.
a very usefull weapon especially when the timings right.
as long as racism doesnt come into it i think anything goes.
sledging about religion always puzzled me tho.......but it seems to cop heavy penalties so i dont bring it up and dont go there.

yipper
SS Life Member

Sledging seems to multiply when you are the Captain!! I was cricket captain for my last 3 years in Melbourne - and the level of sledging towards me went up 150% from day one. Some pretty rank stuff - but some really funny stuff. Naturally I also increased my sledging levels in retaliation. It is a part of competitive sport - you have to deal with it and respond in your performance. I would expect the professional elite sport level to be very cut-throat, full-on towards an opponent. Don't have a problem with it.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
yipper
SS Life Member

Re: Best sledge

happy feet wrote:An e-mail went around with some of the best sledges. I loved this one.

At Adelaide oval....

Javed Miandad called Merv Hughes a dumb fat bus conducter. About two deliveries later, Merv knocked down Javed's middle stump.

"Tickets please!"

:lol: Classic Merv. He could sledge right up there with the best.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Re: Best sledge

yipper wrote:
happy feet wrote:An e-mail went around with some of the best sledges. I loved this one.

At Adelaide oval....

"Tickets please!"

:lol: Classic Merv. He could sledge right up there with the best.
That is absolute vintage!! Ahh the days of Merv.... cricket was never dull when he was bowling!! I remember one time in the 1993 Ashes tour, he was bowling to Michael Atherton...Atherton was nicking them through the slips and noticably out of sorts, and in the end Merv was just sledging him after every delivery, and it kind of lost its effect because Athers ended up walking over to square leg and literally hunched over laughing. Would be interesting to know what was said...

The Saints are coming!