Barker, Burns and Cunningham

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Sainter
Club Player

Barker, Burns and Cunningham

Trevor Barker, Geoff Cunningham and Greg Burns, what great memories i have of these three all-time Saints greats. 533 games between them, some club best and fairest awards plus Burns also won the Channel 7 award as best player one year. They didn't know what it was like to take a backward step in any contest even though they were on the end of many thrashings.
All bled for the Saints and yet to my knowledge none of the three ever played in at least one final game for us.
I know you should not live in the past but gee i would like to see a few of our present day Saints fiercely attack the opposition players and ball the way they used to. Didn't see Barker's name in Mike Sheahan's list of all time greats (might have missed it) but Barker was as good a player as we have ever had at St Kilda who sometimes gets overlooked by the so called experts because he played mostly in a very ordinary team during his career. How would he go in today's team playing at his peak :) :)

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Trevor Barker is St. Kilda Football Club.
No other sacrificed so much for our club.
Knew how to party.
Played above his fighting weight.
Slip him into a half forward flank nowadays and he would be in the highlights reel every week for mark of the year, goal of the year and 1%'er.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

BBC! What's on Two?

jill
Club Player

Couldn't agree more - Bark's should have won a Brownlow - was so underestimated because he was in a bottom side. If current players had half these guys committment and courage we'd be in the top 4. Trevor Barker was St.Kilda!!!!

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

No ads on BBC.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
esaint66
SS Life Member

Re: Barker, Burns and Cunningham

The Sainter wrote:Didn't see Barker's name in Mike Sheahan's list of all time greats (might have missed it)

Nah, i dont think he was in the top 50, yet Ben 'whitelinefever' Cousins made it in at number 42 :shock: :shock: (one place ahead of Michael Tuck :shock: )