G-Train might be gone

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

G-Train might be gone

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch the game but from all accounts it sounds like G-Train had another bad game.

I hate to say but I think we are going to hear that the big fella has decided to retire sooner than later.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Fraser should not play again. He doesn't get enough clean delivery as a St Kilda forward for him to kick enough goals to make up for his lack of defensive pressure/ground level skills.

Would like to see this forward line against Collingwood (assuming Roo and X are out).

HF: Armitage, Koschitzke, C.Gardiner
F: Schneider, Allen, Milne

Should get around 10 from those players and a minimum of 6 from the midfield.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Fraser should not play again. He doesn't get enough clean delivery as a St Kilda forward for him to kick enough goals to make up for his lack of defensive pressure/ground level skills.

Would like to see this forward line against Collingwood (assuming Roo and X are out).

HF: Armitage, Koschitzke, C.Gardiner
F: Schneider, Allen, Milne

Should get around 10 from those players and a minimum of 6 from the midfield.
And Allen did look alright sitting on the flank. Fair dinkum what are you on.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately I must agree, the G train should pull into the siding and let the steam off.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Batnoe

still pulls the best defender, we only need him as a decoy!@

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

where was he ???? was he used as a target?
our centre clearances were the worst I can remember, that may have something to do with our forwards not getting a chance, a crumber like Milney was given the opportunity because of crap forward disposal.
Fraser still has a talent that can't be lost overnight.
think about it.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:And Allen did look alright sitting on the flank. Fair dinkum what are you on.
If you had your way no player would ever debut. In 20 years we'd have a 52 year old Gehrig standing around in the goal square because he's a dual coleman medallist.

Believe it or not but changes are often made to line ups to improve the team performance. If a player is not performing, it is possible that a younger, less experienced player who has impressed with reserves/training form may be included in place of the older player previously mentioned.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:And Allen did look alright sitting on the flank. Fair dinkum what are you on.
If you had your way no player would ever debut. In 20 years we'd have a 52 year old Gehrig standing around in the goal square because he's a dual coleman medallist.

Believe it or not but changes are often made to line ups to improve the team performance. If a player is not performing, it is possible that a younger, less experienced player who has impressed with reserves/training form may be included in place of the older player previously mentioned.
No but from you say we would not have anyone over the age of 20 even if they didnt deserve a game.

clobba
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

No but from you say we would not have anyone over the age of 20 even if they didnt deserve a game.
Gherig is gone he gave us stuff all last year and with the no adventure take no risk gameplan we seem to be playing most the time atm he has nothing to offer, drop him or whatever but he ISNT helping us win squat atm while he is taking up a useful spot...F**k he can come over here for a night of alcohol or whatever he wants, if it stops him going on the field he can have my wife...hell knows I dont want her..<BOOM TISH> sorry after that semi Benny Hill performance I thought some humour of the same intellectual lvl wouldnt go astray :oops:

SainterX
Club Player

Gotta keep the guy in the side at least for the Collingwood game. Maybe he can make another Cloke cry :P

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
esaint66
SS Life Member

Well if he goes in the next couple of weeks then we looked stuffed up foward.

Roo - injured (4 or more weeks)
Kosi - a possible report
X - looked bad with a hammy.

I think G will see out the season unless there is something we are not hearing. He loves the club.

I dont think our mids get it long to him enough, bet yes his skills are pretty poor at the moment.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Grizzly Adams beard has to go for starters. And if he can't get it together after that, then I reckon he can hang up his boots and go with some dignity.

hotdish
Club Player

clobba wrote: Gherig is gone he gave us stuff all last year
YOU ARE A JOKE AND AN EMBARRASSMENT - gave us nothing last year?

He kicked 59 goals, 35 behinds with 10 score assists.

JeffDunne

TBH, if we're going to play him I'd prefer we let his man run off him and keep him rooted in the F50.

Russian roulette no doubt, but he's a liability if he's allowed to be dragged up the ground. The instruction should be if we force a turnover when the opposition are bringing the ball up the ground, get the ball to Gram or BJ and roost it 60m.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

um, Roo 1 goal, Kosi no goals

so i don;t think Gehrig game was the disaster some say it was

those 2 goals Milne got at the start of the last, wouldn't have got either if it wasn't for G's brilliant body work

people always accuse Gehrig of not doing the 1%'s, i made a point to watch him tonight, and i saw him presenting well up the field, i saw him at the bottom of a pack clear the ball out against 3 Tigers, plus many more things

again, our Midfield didn't do him (or any) of our forwards many favours tonight, plus IMO Ross didn't use G well tonight

easily has a place in the team as our number 3 forward, especially with all our bigmen going down

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

FG can't be huffing and puffing on the wing, he plays in the goal square and thats it tbh

our midfield is good enough to punish anyone who tryes to consistently run off him, or play off him.

FG running around the wing is a joke.

folks used to try and run of lynch and might get a few shots in, but the those were the games lynch would excel in, because if the lions got a turn over, lynch got a free mark in the goal square.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
MasonCJ2
Club Player

Haha. Loving the Gehrig banter. Must admire the loyalty of some! Haven't seen him kick more than a couple of goals against good opposition for a couple of seasons now. Its not like we have his defensive pressure to hang his hat on either. Without Roo, I think Gehrig virtually one out will only make it worse. The writing was on the wall half way through the Geelong game and yet we persist. Sure, we have little alternatives, but the proof will be the result in four weeks when we are questioning why we haven't won.

This is an excellent opportunity to start anew and trial a fresh strategy. Honestly, it's like charity letting him play and being a man down. Not sure which season people are watching. This is not 2004.

We are a sniff
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

MasonCJ2 wrote:Not sure which season people are watching. This is not 2004.
yes, because in 2004 we played attacking football with flair, and backed our players skills, and gave our forwards a decent chance one out.....

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
MasonCJ2
Club Player

Not sure his record would refute what I'm saying. The point made earlier about 59 goals ... a guy that all he does is kick goals, and given most of those would be against poor opposition, is not all that flash.

Nonetheless, if you're point is about our style of play, I couldn't agree more. Feel very sorry for Roo when the ball is held up for a few minutes and then kicked over his head regardless!

I hate getting stuck into my own team, but I'm not sure I've ever been so disenchanted. I think most of our guys are either coming back from long injury lay-offs or very much down on confidence. There is still upside, just failing to see it right now.

We are a sniff
groupie1
Club Player

the only benefit to be gained from Gehrig's retirement would be to shut you half-wit f*****' muppets up about it - i speak for everyone, TAKE YOUR HALF-BAKED ROHAN CONNOLLY OPINIONS BACK TO SHITVILLE AND SHUT THE f*** UP ALREADY

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:the only benefit to be gained from Gehrig's retirement would be to shut you half-wit f*****' muppets up about it - i speak for everyone, TAKE YOUR HALF-BAKED ROHAN CONNOLLY OPINIONS BACK TO SHITVILLE AND SHUT THE f*** UP ALREADY
Not me.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig looks gone, no doubt about that.

BUT....

He should be kept on the list for now, and maybe even played against the Pies as a decoy forward.....last night he actually kept our forward line open which allowed Milne space to crumb and mark, and allowed Charlie to kick 2 goals also....so all is not too bad.

PLUS....

If Rooey missed a week or two, a spot is open.

I'd love to see Allen in the side, and his time IMO will come very soon, but until the short term injury crisis is over, G should be kept on.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

Gehrig seemed to spend more time in the goalsquare for the second half, and it was noticeable the balance was tipped in St kildas favour with him there, taking a defender allowing more opportunities for the team. Best example one of Milne's final quarter goals. He should stay up field more and be kicked to more.