Aussie Jones - Remember how good he was? You probably don't

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Aussie Jones - Remember how good he was? You probably don't

He had phenomenal awareness and skill. He was instrumental in making stkilda a "good side".

Nobody talks about him in relation to the golden years of 04-05. Hamil gets all the credit.

Well done Aussie. The team is sorely missing a player like you.

yipper
SS Life Member

No doubting his contribution to our relatively successful period - he was lethal coming off half-back with either foot. A super player indeed.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Re: Aussie Jones - Remember how good he was? You probably do

brown-coat wrote:He had phenomenal awareness and skill. He was instrumental in making stkilda a "good side".

Nobody talks about him in relation to the golden years of 04-05. Hamil gets all the credit.

I definately remember most of our old players in the last 30 years i loved him what i dont know living up here and only being new to these forums is why he retired at his peak age ? I heard rumours it was because of GT and while we're about it same question with Brett Voss if anyone knows ?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

ROFL I remember the folks who wanted to trade him for anything.

sure he had his down times but overall a very very good player.

2 or 3 all australian plaques I think?

as for GT he's publicly stated his support for GT and nothing to do with him.

he said he was suffering from a mental illness and couldn't give his all to the club, and he thanked the club and GT for their support during this time.

Brett Voss was not seen as part of the future of the club and cut from our list at the end of last season.

IMO brett Voss was on par with David Grant as our best small defencive defender in the past 20 years.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:ROFL I remember the folks who wanted to trade him for anything.

sure he had his down times but overall a very very good player.

2 or 3 all australian plaques I think?

as for GT he's publicly stated his support for GT and nothing to do with him.

he said he was suffering from a mental illness and couldn't give his all to the club, and he thanked the club and GT for their support during this time.

Brett Voss was not seen as part of the future of the club and cut from our list at the end of last season.

IMO brett Voss was on par with David Grant as our best small defencive defender in the past 20 years.
Thanks for that im surprised he became a fairly good defender, all quite sudden still seems odd. David Grant No 6 now ur talking as far as im concerned he was a gun, reliable and solid overhead up forward and down back . SUPER loyal to the club and if i remember correctly ended in a sad stand off when he bought a business ( gym i think with Trevor Barker maybe ) and the club secretly traded him to Sydney and shocked all of us including David Grant and he refused to go and thier whole deal fell apart. Definately much better player than Voss but i see where ur coming from. :cry:

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Voss was encouraged to retire, he lost some pace and couldn't play back any more and then when playing forward would be very up and down. It was the right thing to do.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Was fantastic in '04 (All Australian IIRC), struggled with injury in '05 (back related). Gram circa '07 looked decent as a poor man's Jones, but there's nobody playing that role well now.

Given the Saints as they are now, I'd go so far as to say an in form Aussie would be a bigger assett than an in form Hammill. Back in the day, the young Saints needed him there as an enforcer, these days most of those same players can look after themselves, and without the delivery Hammill would be another forward not producing what he was capable of. The combination of run and kicking that Jones brought was like having Goddard and Gram in a single player.

Jones was the kind of player who was hard to be a fan of at times (he was exciting as a kid, and a cut above in later years, but during the bad years in between, it used to bug me that he didn't deliver more)... by his own admission, he struggled to do the work off the field to keep his body right, so for long stretches he could be very frustrating (I was so dissapointed when he retired at the end of '05 at the age of 29)... but at his best, he was a treat to watch.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
danners
Club Player

one moment that sums up aussie jones:

running from the back pocket all the way up the wing with a string of handballs and kicks to kick a goal in the 1997 grand final.

absoloutely amazing!

Beekay
SS Life Member

Golden years?

Sarcasm?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

brown-coat wrote:He had phenomenal awareness and skill. He was instrumental in making stkilda a "good side".

yep. agree. he's often overlooked and gave it away way too early. was a key to our success in 1997 as well.

his pace and great disposal are sadly missed.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

David Grant was traded to melbourne Im pretty sure.

the club wanted to trade him the year before but a massive backlash from his colleagues and the fans saw that kyboshed, and melbourne were willing to give us some decent change for him.

the next year he went for nothing, and played one year at melbourne with no heart in it.

I remember he ran around for a couple of seasons with barker as coach? took some ripper marks in the VFA? or had it already become the VFL I forget.

I think at the time anyone over 30 was seen as deadwood :roll:

SHUT UP KRIME!
RoseInOz
Club Player

Recently I noticed that in an "On The Couch" segment they were trying to think of other Austins when they were talking about Austin Wonaeamirri, and they were trying to think of other Austin's who played AFL, they could only think of 3, AND Austinn Jones was not one of them.

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
Beekay
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:was a key to our success in 1997 as well.
What success?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

RoseInOz wrote:Recently I noticed that in an "On The Couch" segment they were trying to think of other Austins when they were talking about Austin Wonaeamirri, and they were trying to think of other Austin's who played AFL, they could only think of 3, AND Austinn Jones was not one of them.
austin powers?

who the F*** cares, Aussie would be in teh best for the 90s and int eh best side for the noughties, he has two night final premierships and 3(?) all australian plaques.

certainly not a bad career by any accounts.

SHUT UP KRIME!
RoseInOz
Club Player

I cared because I loved the way Aussie played and it peeved me that they could not even come up with his name!

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Aussie was elite offensively.

But, he was deplorable defensively. Gram is far better defensively than what Aussie was.

Infact, to think that in 06 we still won 14 games and were % off top 4 after losing him and Luke Penny the season before, is remarkable.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
What success?
it's all relative but i'll take being a contender over being an also-ran.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
Beekay wrote:
What success?
it's all relative but i'll take being a contender over being an also-ran.
At times I think it says a lot about us (Saints supporters collectively) that we can't remember good years fondly because they didn't get all the way... our one premiership ends up affecting our view in a similar manner to "little man's syndrome".

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
esaint66
SS Life Member

RoseInOz wrote:Recently I noticed that in an "On The Couch" segment they were trying to think of other Austins when they were talking about Austin Wonaeamirri, and they were trying to think of other Austin's who played AFL, they could only think of 3, AND Austinn Jones was not one of them.

Yeah they had that in the sporting life on the back of the age the monday after the dees win over the dockers. Aussie was there and was the only austin with a 'double n' (Austinn jones.)

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:David Grant was traded to melbourne Im pretty sure.

the club wanted to trade him the year before but a massive backlash from his colleagues and the fans saw that kyboshed, and melbourne were willing to give us some decent change for him.

the next year he went for nothing, and played one year at melbourne with no heart in it.

I remember he ran around for a couple of seasons with barker as coach? took some ripper marks in the VFA? or had it already become the VFL I forget.

I think at the time anyone over 30 was seen as deadwood :roll:

He was traded for nothing because after being f----- over by the club ( im sure it was actually a deal they had done with Swans for Barry Mitchell and we were so desperate to get him because he was so red hot at the time , we had to give him up which after it all fell through Mitchell went to Collingwood ) he was shattered and instantly lost the plot.

And then i think your right with the Demons thing. He was someone that absolutely lived and breathed for the St Kilda football club . Would play for 2 bob a week to stay than go elsewhere for big money. Very sad story

your momma
Club Player

hell yeah!!

he had a great coureer.

Known as the MOST ACCURATE kick

who feels the same that he reminds me Adam Schneider??

Aussie Aussie Aussie

"Im never satisfied...its a curse"
bergsone
SS Life Member

D.Grant ,that is a sad saga,about avery good footballer.I often felt he was under rated by many.A.Jones coaching career is progressing at the moment ,A FUTURE SAINTS COACH ?

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

So what Austins did they come up with?

The Saints are coming!
esaint66
SS Life Member

bergsone wrote:D.Grant ,that is a sad saga,about avery good footballer.I often felt he was under rated by many.A.Jones coaching career is progressing at the moment ,A FUTURE SAINTS COACH ?

Yeah he is a good coach and very nurturing.
Coaches my mate in the Gippy power team.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

I remember this piece of commentary as i'm sure u all do

NOT EVEN CLOSE

NOT EVEN CLOSE

NOT EVEN CLOSE

OOH yes i could listen to quatermain say that all day long bit like Cats fans and Hudson'

I SEE IT BUT I DON'T BELIEVE IT haha i bet that line kills them i guess last year takes the pain away though.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time