Oddly encouraging

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

doggerel
Club Player

Oddly encouraging

Very negative posts on here so far, to be expected I guess.

I thought it was the most encouraging effort this season. Up against one of the best 5 or 6 teams who generally had the rub of the green, took their chances, nailed arsey shots etc We muffed too many shots that should have been goals. A couple of 12 point plays there that went against us. Play that game 10 games and we'd win it 7 or 8 times. Against one of the better sides. It shows we're there abouts. A great game from Luke Ball.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

I agree 100 percent

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Up against one of the best 5 or 6 teams?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Buckets
SS Life Member

Re: Oddly encouraging

doggerel wrote:Very negative posts on here so far, to be expected I guess.

I thought it was the most encouraging effort this season. Up against one of the best 5 or 6 teams who generally had the rub of the green, took their chances, nailed arsey shots etc We muffed too many shots that should have been goals. A couple of 12 point plays there that went against us. Play that game 10 games and we'd win it 7 or 8 times. Against one of the better sides. It shows we're there abouts. A great game from Luke Ball.
Had the pies actually been playing really good footy all year i could accept that, however they havent been, in fact that have been piss poor all year they had only won of of their past 4 before tonight and we let them off big time!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Up against one of the best 5 or 6 teams?
LOL my thoughts exactly.

Collingwoods as much a flat track bully as we are - struggles to beat ANY SIDE that played finals last year and dont forget has a DREAM MCG draw.

Im all for "optimism" and agree the signs from Ball were good....but we just lost a very winnable game with poor skill errors and carrying half a side and you reckon alls good?

As the radio commentary pointed out - St Kilda has REAL issues bringing the ball into fwd 50 AND with the fwd line. FFS we have to be just about to admit that Gehrigs time is up?

Sorry we have some problems. To me Im all for optimism but Im more for realism because when your are realistic about where your at thats when you can start to plan your improvement. Otherwise we're all still living in "glory days" of 04/05 with a side thats a shell of that.

“Yeah….nah””
hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

I found tonight to be the most disappointing loss out of the 4. Collingwood have been beaten 3 times already by average sides, they're not good. Realization the best the saints can hope for is 7th or 8th.

GRAMophone
Club Player

I think 'oddly encouraging' is a good description too - sensational improvement in the midfield but bringing it down to a non existent forward line.

Sadly, Fraser isn't giving us anything. Even a moderately effective forward line should have given us a win on toast.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Why single Fraser out? At least he made it to a few contests.

But, Kosi? One night he needed to stand up, and what happened?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Why single Fraser out? At least he made it to a few contests.

But, Kosi? One night he needed to stand up, and what happened?
Thats true but I dont like the chances of kosi retiring.

“Yeah….nah””
starsign
Club Player

of course there were some encouraging signs but one can't go past the fact that we beat ourselves through bad kicking and failure to capitize on too many easy shots on goal
call it a negative post if you like but blind freddy will tell you thats why we lost... and I think someone once said bad kicking is bad footy
surely its merely constructive criticism

even given the ones they seemed to kick out of their fundamental orifices and the couple they missed we were well and truly behind on the ledger, so forget about any other stat, a conservative 5 easy misses 3 from lenny 2 from Milne for starters ....without going any further , theres 30 points and we lose by 9! unaceptable

karnak
Club Player

The loss we needed to have. And I mean that.

Will restructure the forward line, lets hope that Fergy has a another blinder.

The midfield was great, tier 1.

too many tier 2 midfield passengers. Fiora to come back in as well as Fergy.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:of course there were some encouraging signs but one can't go past the fact that we beat ourselves through bad kicking and failure to capitize on too many easy shots on goal
call it a negative post if you like but blind freddy will tell you thats why we lost... and I think someone once said bad kicking is bad footy
surely its merely constructive criticism

even given the ones they seemed to kick out of their fundamental orifices and the couple they missed we were well and truly behind on the ledger, so forget about any other stat, a conservative 5 easy misses 3 from lenny 2 from Milne for starters ....without going any further , theres 30 points and we lose by 9! unaceptable
yep.

“Yeah….nah””
sainters man
Club Player

we played good last night! that is the best we have played all year and it could have went either way remember that! milne kicks that goal with 3 mins to go and the ball goes to the centre again which we dominated

Im glad we played a more attacking brand of footy than just flood and kick 6 goals and lose by 9 points, that would be more disapointing

taz
Club Player

DISAGREE

We are heading South. The window has closed. We have a number of good player ( I infer these or the odd positive) but insufficient depth to go all the way.

Prepare for a long cold winter because there is NO premierships on the horizon and with the NSW and QLD teams coming into the comp. things look bad.

bergsone
SS Life Member

The bottom line is we lost .Sure somegood signs,M gardiner etc,but its a game we needed to win and didnt.Im starting to agree with some who say some players dont play with the passion ,when the game was there to be won ,thats when you want a kosi or a g train to stand up,you cant afford 1 passenger in todays footy ,yet week in week out we seem to have players who dont put 4 quarters together.For us to be a contender we needplayers stringing together good games,not just showing flashes of what they are capable of.