Youth Policy, Play the kids, NOW

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Youth Policy, Play the kids, NOW

We have to start NOW, should have started this at the very least 6 weeks ago, but better late than never.

I've banged on a bit about it, but FAIR DINKUM, if we do not start to develop youngster's and I mean play them NOW, both Carlton and Richmond are better placed to win a premiership before St.Kilda.

We have the nucleus of a very good team but there are only so many passenger's your top players can carry before it all comes crashing like a house of cards.

The quickest way for St.Kilda to actually challenge for a premiership is to play the kids, imo, this is just reality.

Ross Lyon would be well advised imho, to completely change the focus, before we get locked into a holding pattern of feeling like we are still better than we actually are, by persisting with the same old, tried, tested ineffectual, poorly skilled, slow players that seem to come in and out like shuffled deckchairs on a titanic and will result in St.Kilda becoming the new Richmond, a 50% win/loss ratio and another midtable result.

We play the kids and we might also finish midtable, but at least there is a potential upside.

It's time we all faced reality, we need to play the kids, otherwise this bus is going nowhere, down a dark, dead end, alleyway.

There is only ONE direction forward, play the kids and develop some FRESH NEW talent and start this process by geeting team selection right for a change.

I'm tired of the same old, same old

Gehrig was already for all intent's and purposes, onfield at least, cactus, many weeks ago and you can undertsand Lyon to some degree wanting to give such a fine servant to the club another crack, but his continued selection is a liability and quite possibly cost us 4 points last Friday Night.

Gehrig has been a tremendous servant and player, we should all respect what he has done overall, it's a shame his hands and body, are not what they were, but the reality is, his selection in the team has us virtually playing one man less.

Time to stop treading water and get serious, it's so obvious, which is why I have been saying it since LAST YEAR, FAIR DINKUM, play the kids.

This week I would play,( I would have selected them week's ago), perhaps they've benefitted from having played a few games at Casey before throwing them in at the deep end, who know's, but please just start putting some petrol in the tank at team selection, so we can get the bus up and running

McEvoy play him up forward
Ferguson HFF, definitely play him up forward
Allen play him up forward

promote Eddy, delist Gehrig

Geary, Eddy, whoever else is putting their hand up, just play them

Play Kossie at CHB, I don't subscribe to the belief that he's to slow for CHB, hey, if nothing else, it's worth a try at the very least, imho

I'd give him a role such as playing on Jonathon Brown and see how he responds.

Time to think outside the square, change the structure and make changes and lot's of them.

Never again play Gram in defence, clearly, he is not a defender, either he find some form as a wingman or send him back to Casey to find it there.

I don't need to go through the list and name too many names of who should make way, by NOW, it should be pretty damn obvious.

Treading water while slowly sinking is where we are at, time to swim, time to play the kids, re-invigorate, re-energize and re-invent the 22 that St.Kilda put out onto the field and do it NOW.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Do you want this all done next week because that would be far too many changes. Over the cousre a few weeks depending on results we can blood 2-3 players.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42761

just to short cut the discussion if you must have it

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Every list goes through cycles; we're now in the period between 2 & 3 o'clcok - it would take a freak effort in 2008-9 to win a flag, and if we don't, we face a huge period of rebuilding.

IMHO, we should have done much of this last year, when we knew weren't capable of winning the flag. But Lyon was desperate to save face - in fact, I'm gravely concerned he is more interested in making the top eight in the short term ahead of winning the flag in the long term.

It's time for us to start looking at the following players for several appearences over the course of the season.

- Brad Howard (6-8 games. Let's find out the truth about him...)
- Jack Steven (5-7 games. Raw, but we need to accelerate him, otherwise he risks becoming another Josh Houlihan.)
- Jarryn Geary (10+ games. Already proved he can play and will get better. So play him.)
- Jarryd Allen (10+ games. Proven himself at VFL level and he must be promoted to the seniors soon. Will instantly give more than Gehrig, and is still improving. MUST PLAY THIS WEEK.)
- Andrew McQualter (3-4 games. Delisted, rookied, upgraded. The last of last chances. He gets it - but his older body means if he doesn't show anything in 3-4 games, he will probably never show it)
- James Gwilt (3-4 games. Well, I'd rather him than Raph Clarke.)
- Robert Eddy (5-6 games. I'd LTI Gehrig and get this kid in. Isn't far behind Geary).

With Geary IN for the rest of the season, I'd take Blake out (let's get S Fisher to learn how to play KPP.)
With Allen IN for the rest of the season, I'd take Gehrig out - and LTI him for Eddy.

The others can rotate through. Leigh Fisher, Shane Birss, Sean Dempster and Aaron Fiora all go in the rotation as well, but preference must go to the younger players so they can achieve their quota of games.

A final point...

It's all well and good to say mature players this, mature players that. Well, quite frankly, they are looking tired and not capable of helping us win our next flag.

We need to find players from our younger stocks who might be premiership contributors, and give them every chance.
Last edited by evertonfc on Sun 18 May 2008 6:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Can we LTI Gehrig?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Can we LTI Gehrig?
No we cannot but we dont need to as only Eddy and Mini would play this season you would think.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
No we cannot but we dont need to as only Eddy and Mini would play this season you would think.
I would not rule out possibly trying Miles at some stage IF he goes ok with Casey when he resumes in a few weeks.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I would not rule out possibly trying Miles at some stage IF he goes ok with Casey when he resumes in a few weeks.
I would think he is a long way off and he hasnt played for 13 weeks.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
No we cannot
?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
No we cannot
?
He isnt injured.

thenumber9

evertonfc wrote:Every list goes through cycles; we're now in the period between 2 & 3 o'clcok - it would take a freak effort in 2008-9 to win a flag, and if we don't, we face a huge period of rebuilding.

IMHO, we should have done much of this last year, when we knew weren't capable of winning the flag. But Lyon was desperate to save face - in fact, I'm gravely concerned he is more interested in making the top eight in the short term ahead of winning the flag in the long term.

It's time for us to start looking at the following players for several appearences over the course of the season.

- Brad Howard (6-8 games. Let's find out the truth about him...)
- Jack Steven (5-7 games. Raw, but we need to accelerate him, otherwise he risks becoming another Josh Houlihan.)
- Jarryn Geary (10+ games. Already proved he can play and will get better. So play him.)
- Jarryd Allen (10+ games. Proven himself at VFL level and he must be promoted to the seniors soon. Will instantly give more than Gehrig, and is still improving. MUST PLAY THIS WEEK.)
- Andrew McQualter (3-4 games. Delisted, rookied, upgraded. The last of last chances. He gets it - but his older body means if he doesn't show anything in 3-4 games, he will probably never show it)
- James Gwilt (3-4 games. Well, I'd rather him than Raph Clarke.)
- Robert Eddy (5-6 games. I'd LTI Gehrig and get this kid in. Isn't far behind Geary).

With Geary IN for the rest of the season, I'd take Blake out (let's get S Fisher to learn how to play KPP.)
With Allen IN for the rest of the season, I'd take Gehrig out - and LTI him for Eddy.

The others can rotate through. Leigh Fisher, Shane Birss, Sean Dempster and Aaron Fiora all go in the rotation as well, but preference must go to the younger players so they can achieve their quota of games.

A final point...

It's all well and good to say mature players this, mature players that. Well, quite frankly, they are looking tired and not capable of helping us win our next flag.

We need to find players from our younger stocks who might be premiership contributors, and give them every chance.
What about luke miles and glenn chivers

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

thenumber9 wrote:What about luke miles and glenn chivers
Probably a fraction raw...as would be Eljay Connors.

Just realised I've missed Ben McEvoy - I genuinely hope we can get him in for at least 4-5 games to kick-start his senior career.

Again, we need to fast-track three or four of these types (Allen, Steven and Geary need it too), and he's certainly one of them.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
thenumber9 wrote:What about luke miles and glenn chivers
Probably a fraction raw...as would be Eljay Connors.

Just realised I've missed Ben McEvoy - I genuinely hope we can get him in for at least 4-5 games to kick-start his senior career.

Again, we need to fast-track three or four of these types (Allen, Steven and Geary need it too), and he's certainly one of them.
A little side issue !!

Why are mods contributing to multiple threads on the same topic?. This thread should be locked and posters directed to the other thread!!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
No we cannot
?
He isnt injured.
We can lodge any one of Gehrig's existing long-term ailments as a long-term injury.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
No we cannot
?
He isnt injured.
We can lodge any one of Gehrig's existing long-term ailments as a long-term injury.
I doubt that would get through.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't a Doctors report re insufferable arthritis put G on the LTI?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I doubt that would get through.
It would.

If a bloke can't run properly, which he can't, it's a long-term injury.

For example, you can still play with a ruptured ACL (ask Lenny Hayes), but it's still a long-term injury.

Add that to the arthritis in his hand and other injuries.

Yeah, it would get through. There's not much viable debate about it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I doubt that would get through.
It would.

If a bloke can't run properly, which he can't, it's a long-term injury.

For example, you can still play with a ruptured ACL (ask Lenny Hayes), but it's still a long-term injury.

Add that to the arthritis in his hand and other injuries.

Yeah, it would get through. There's not much viable debate about it.
It has to be a long term injury not that he cannot run properly because his body is breaking down because of wear and tear. He doesnt have any long term injury and if he quits it will be that quitting and that doesnt qualify.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Hence the possibly..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Hence the possibly..
Then so is Khan and Chivers but you would doubt any of them.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:It has to be a long term injury not that he cannot run properly because his body is breaking down because of wear and tear. He doesnt have any long term injury and if he quits it will be that quitting and that doesnt qualify.
A long-term injury is one that prevents a player from playing at his optimum capacity over a long period of time.

Whether he is retiring or not is irrelevant.

If a player cannot perform at his peak over a long period due to a physical injury, regardless of the type or nature, he can be put on the list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:It has to be a long term injury not that he cannot run properly because his body is breaking down because of wear and tear. He doesnt have any long term injury and if he quits it will be that quitting and that doesnt qualify.
A long-term injury is one that prevents a player from playing at his optimum capacity over a long period of time.

Whether he is retiring or not is irrelevant.

If a player cannot perform at his peak over a long period due to a physical injury, regardless of the type or nature, he can be put on the list.
A long term injury is one that prevents him from playing not from playing at his peak. G has missed one game this year and he was rested so how can he now have an ailment that means missing the rest of the year. He wasnt injured on Friday. Now if he retired because a certain long term injury then that would be different. We agree to disagree and we may find out if he does retire.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: I would not rule out possibly trying Miles at some stage IF he goes ok with Casey when he resumes in a few weeks.
Hence the possibly..
Then so is Khan and Chivers but you would doubt any of them.
Miles is 21/22 and has played senior football in the WAFL for 3 or so seasons. Khan and Glenn have only just left school.

Miles is also a medium defender who at being the same age as Attard and McQualter would have to suggest that sRr is very right in thinking that he would be a very good possibility to be promoted.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He hasnt even played a game though. I think they may give guys who have played a chance before him so he is a long way down the line.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

B4Eva,

Don't you think we can still afford to focus on getting our established players, former AA players, to play well instead of giving up and playing the kids?

Is that just a cop out for when you can't get the best out of what you've got?