Why oh why was Armo dropped

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Why oh why was Armo dropped

Lyon has come out saying we were soft physicaly and mentally. Well heres a bloody idea for him.

Stop dropping the players who go in hard and actually kick goals.

Like most I'm over Fiora and see more positive in Armo. Not saying we would have won because we wouldn't of. I just see much more benefit in Armo.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why oh why was Armo dropped

was a poor decision i thought. anyone know how he went at casey?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Apparently second BOG.

So clearly not a chance at our 1's.

Under the "play the soft player policy".

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Why oh why was Armo dropped

bigcarl wrote:was a poor decision i thought. anyone know how he went at casey?
Named 2nd best for Casey

Before Im 85
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

2nd best and kicked a goal.

Statsman
Club Player

Clearly they bought Fiona into the side, at the expense of Armitage, for his mental toughness and uncompromising physical attack on the footy.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:Clearly they bought Fiona into the side, at the expense of Armitage, for his mental toughness and uncompromising physical attack on the footy.
Clearly :lol:

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Statsman wrote:Clearly they bought Fiona into the side, at the expense of Armitage, for his mental toughness and uncompromising physical attack on the footy.
Fiona displayed mental and physical toughness in VFL. Mind you it was when he was queuing up for a hot dog before the game but those 5yo down in Cranny go the hotdog line hard.
Last edited by redwhite&blackblood on Sun 25 May 2008 9:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
congorozides
Club Player

redwhite&blackblood wrote:
Fiona displayed mental and physical toughness in VFL. Mind you it was when he was cuing up for a hot dog before the game but those 5yo down in Cranny go the hotdog line hard.
hahahaha. i love it :)

dropping armo is a mystery . makes no sense at all.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Obviously Armitage broke the game plan.
He dared to be a mid fielder who got the hard ball and kicked goals.
Hell we can't have that can we Ross, you don't like kicking goals.
If you want to coach low scoring crap football go coach a soccer team.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I would say, given where Fizz played today, that he was brought in as an alternative to Charlie - not Armo. I would have rathered they'd given Ferg a chance at that kind of role. Armo should have played in the centre. I'd love to know why he didn't.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SuperSaint
Club Player

congorozides wrote:
redwhite&blackblood wrote:
Fiona displayed mental and physical toughness in VFL. Mind you it was when he was cuing up for a hot dog before the game but those 5yo down in Cranny go the hotdog line hard.
hahahaha. i love it :)

dropping armo is a mystery . makes no sense at all.
So do I. :lol: :lol:
I also could not believe his decision to bring back Fiona in place of Armitage. Fiona would have to be the softest player to ever put on a St.Kilda jumper. If Lyon still could not realize this to date with Fiona's insipid & gutless performances thus far, then I don't hold much confidence in him as a quality coach.

starsign
Club Player

it's vexed me too!
and can now only think RL has given him a week to think over stuffing up a specific individual instruction, in which case he'll be back against the Dees ...(surely???)er make that hopefully!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Clearly he didn't deserve a spot before Dempster, Blake, Gram or Schneider who have all been killing it in the seniors, while the awsome form of Fiora and sublime skills of Jones shown in the reserves pushed Armo out of the team.

You would have to be an absolute imbecile to think otherwise! (or is it the other way around?...)

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

May have been disciplinary....

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Fiora should never have played for St Kilda again after his pathetic effort back against Melbourne (not the final) at the MCG back in 2006. The fact that he is still getting a game after all this time says alot about the state of our football club.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

jonesy wrote:May have been disciplinary....
wouldn't think so after his acknowledgement to the media that he has early discipline problems when he first got to the club and has veen working hard to rectify it.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I posted this in another thread, but this is why.

"Was explained to us at the SEQ function that Armitage was dropped because physically and mentally he is not quite up to playing long spells in the seniors. By that I mean the amount of games not game time. They said it can crush the young kids mentally. Expecially a tough team like the lions. Where as CJ and Geary havn't played for a few weeks. Also explained that Allen hasn't been chosen because he hasn't played well enough for the Casey's, but is very close. Ferguson was at the function, fantastic young man, won alot of fans, spoke very well. Also very close to getting a game."

Fiora was pick because of his pace.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

yeah, Joel Selwood is struggling...... :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

How on earth can you drop Armitage for starters, I mean FAIR DINKUM and then if that's not enough already, for an encore Fiora comes in

Team selection is an absolute disgrace!

Play the kids, change the structure, shift the focus

we are the new richmond, the victorian fremantle or at least we will be if we don't start selecting kids

FAIR DINKUM, how obvious is it,

Dropping Armitage, FAIR DINKUM :roll: after playing well in the 50% of game time he had the previous week

When is Ferguson ever going to get a chance in the forwardline, he has more ability than Fiora and L.Fisher yet, continues to be ignored

Stop wasting more time, re-arranging the deckchairs on the titanic and make some FAIR DINKUM changes.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
killa_gram
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:Fiora was pick because of his pace.
Great :roll: We might as well pick Jana Rawlinson then. She is fast and is definetly tougher than Fiona and much more likely to get the ball.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
eppo67
Club Player

Lyon has totally lost me over leaving out Armo for that pea heart Fiona.

It is one of the greatest load of BS selections I have ever seen. I was trying to be supportive of Ross but it has totally gone now.

DISGRACEFUL SELECTION. Justification total BS.

congorozides
Club Player

killa_gram wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:Fiora was pick because of his pace.
Great :roll: We might as well pick Jana Rawlinson then. She is fast and is definetly tougher than Fiona and much more likely to get the ball.
Great Post. true and funny at the same time. :D

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:I posted this in another thread, but this is why.

"Was explained to us at the SEQ function that Armitage was dropped because physically and mentally he is not quite up to playing long spells in the seniors. By that I mean the amount of games not game time. They said it can crush the young kids mentally. Expecially a tough team like the lions. Where as CJ and Geary havn't played for a few weeks. Also explained that Allen hasn't been chosen because he hasn't played well enough for the Casey's, but is very close. Ferguson was at the function, fantastic young man, won alot of fans, spoke very well. Also very close to getting a game."

thanks for that Bev. That at least explains why Armitage was dropped and Fiona was selected. Agree with developing younger guys at a suitable pace, but selecting Fiora in his place was just complete BS.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Saint Bev wrote:I posted this in another thread, but this is why.

Now ive heard it all,,iwould not call it a long spell in the side in 1 week out the next,50% game time if your lucky ,being dropped for a Fiora etc,mentally not up to it,is it any wonder why