"Mentally soft players" Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

"Mentally soft players" Ross Lyon

This was music to my ears and to me is a strong indication to what will happen at end of year.Ross Lyon will have indentified the players that will not take this club to the required level of commitment to go even close to achieveing the ultimate reward.

We all have different opinions on who those players are but I am very confident the club will weed them out over the rest of season.

For an early sighter look for 4 to 6 players being dropped next week...

Ross Lyon can only do so much in terms of what happens on the field and too many players are escaping the wrath of the supporters far too often as evidenced by some of the feedback here.

Todays game may well be the line in the sand game for the St.Kilda club...

Watching it was depressing as apart from Harves,Lenny and Ball we had too many not prepared as Ross said " to bleed for the jumper..."

Watching North on fox after our game put their bodies on the line and will themselves over the line against the dogs for Boomer Harvey had me very envious.... :roll:

we need to recapture the hunger of 04-06...or even late 07

Ross Lyons from the heart statement tonight convinced me that he must be given the opportunity to grab this list by the throat and shake it...

The need for drastic changes has been identified...now let us as supporters have the balls to give the man appointed the chance to implement them...

I have enormous respect for Ross,s integrity and knowledge of the game...

Let the purge begin :x
Last edited by saint patrick on Sun 25 May 2008 11:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

So you're the one :wink:

Statsman
Club Player

Are we going to clean out the mentally soft coaches too?

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:Are we going to clean out the mentally soft coaches too?
no just the clueless ones

Statsman
Club Player

So Lyon goes on both counts eh? :wink:

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
JeffDunne

Re: "Mentally soft players" Ross Lyon

saint patrick wrote:I have enormous respect for Ross,s integrity and knowledge of the game...
Why?

Statsman
Club Player

...because the media has told us that Lyon has integrity and knowledge of the game.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:This was music to my ears and to me is a strong indication to what will happen at end of year.Ross Lyon will have indentified the players that will not take this club to the required level of commitment to go even close to achieveing the ultimate reward.

We all have different opinions on who those players are but I am very confident the club will weed them out over the rest of season.

Ross Lyon can only do so much in terms of what happens on the field and too many players are escaping the wrath of the supporters far too often as evidenced by some of the feedback here.

Watching it was depressing as apart from Harves,Lenny and Ball we had too many not prepared as Ross said prepared to bleed for the jumper...

Watching North on fox after our game put their bodies on the line and will themselves over the line against the dogs for Boomer Harvey had me very envious.... :roll:

Ross Lyons from the heart statement tonight convinced me that he must be given the opportunity to grab this list by the throat and shake it...

The need for drastic changes has been identified...now let us as supporters have the balls to give the man appointed the chance to implement them...

Great post Pat - let the standard "sack the coach" brigade go about their usual cr@p facts are Lyons right weve got some real squibs who WONT put their head over it.

I heard Thompson on radio to day he played under Lyon and he respects him enormously and that he will be given the chance to mould a side his way aka Allistair Clarkson who many at Hawthorn wanted gone including Dermutt.

Time to wield the axe Ross.

“Yeah….nah””
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:So Lyon goes on both counts eh? :wink:
:lol: :lol:

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, does RL have any responsibility for selecting those soft players?

Or is that out of his hands?

As head coach I would think he had a massive say in the selection process of recycled pea hearts.

congorozides
Club Player

saint patrick wrote:This was music to my ears and to me is a strong indication to what will happen at end of year.Ross Lyon will have indentified the players that will not take this club to the required level of commitment to go even close to achieveing the ultimate reward.

Watching it was depressing as apart from Harves,Lenny and Ball we had too many not prepared as Ross said prepared to bleed for the jumper...

what is your respect for ross based on?
he is a boring guy. way too conservative. good on bass guitar but doesnt have what it takes to be the lead singer.

starsign
Club Player

Anyone think that either Dempster or Schnieds are on his soft list?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Great post Pat - let the standard "sack the coach" brigade go about their usual cr@p facts are Lyons right weve got some real squibs who WONT put their head over it.

I heard Thompson on radio to day he played under Lyon and he respects him enormously and that he will be given the chance to mould a side his way aka Allistair Clarkson who many at Hawthorn wanted gone including Dermutt.

Time to wield the axe Ross.
Not everyone is part of the standard sack the coach brigade, some of us are new at it, in fact I am a "sack the coach" virgin.

I feel dirty.

JeffDunne

It's rather ironic the same people who wanted to sack a coach after a PF loss are the same people now bemoaning the "sack the coach" brigade.

Ironic probably isn't the right word to describe such blatant hypocrisy but I’m trying to remain civil.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:...because the media has told us that Lyon has integrity and knowledge of the game.
No because I am old enough to have observed Ross as a courageous skilful and intelligent player and from all reports he had an enormous influence and respect in his midfield role at Sydney in their premiership year...and I happen to think that coaches take a year or two to reach their potential...like players :roll:

I base very little on what the press has to say in these areas ...

Appreciate the inference Statsman :roll:
Last edited by saint patrick on Sun 25 May 2008 9:29pm, edited 3 times in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:It's rather ironic the same people who wanted to sack a coach after a PF loss are the same people now bemoaning the "sack the coach" brigade.

Ironic probably isn't the right word to describe such blatant hypocrisy but I’m trying to remain civil.
Agree, except it was a EF loss :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

RL must bear some blame for preparing a soft team. On the other hand, you dont make hard players out of soft players..you are or you're not hard. I think Thomas during his time, and RL recently, have recruited a few softies. Time for a cleanout at some stage, and play younger players at all costs.

JeffDunne

maverick wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:It's rather ironic the same people who wanted to sack a coach after a PF loss are the same people now bemoaning the "sack the coach" brigade.

They were calling for his head long before that.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
maverick wrote:

They were calling for his head long before that.
Fair enough.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

And STUPID is the word used to those like you Jeffery who want a coach sacked not 2 yrs in to coaching and stamping his authority on the list. Reminds me of Clarkson a bit at Hawthorn...when the gutless group like Brereton and co were calling for his head....and others held their nerve.

Lets be clear - the last coach HAD 5 YEARS and didnt deliver with a much younger list of players and a core grouo in its primewhile HE controlled the recruitment and selection of HIS "training srvices" team.

Turn the heat up on to many soft players but stop being pathetically predictable and "Richmond like".

“Yeah….nah””
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

we weren't soft when he inherited the team.

we weren't this bad with skills when he inherited the team

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
JeffDunne

Teflon wrote:

And STUPID is the word used to those like you Jeffery who want a coach sacked not 2 yrs in to coaching and stamping his authority on the list. Reminds me of Clarkson a bit at Hawthorn...when the gutless group like Brereton and co were calling for his head....and others held their nerve.

Lets be clear - the last coach HAD 5 YEARS and didnt deliver with a much younger list of players and a core grouo in its primewhile HE controlled the recruitment and selection of HIS "training srvices" team.

Turn the heat up on to many soft players but stop being pathetically predictable and "Richmond like".
When you start agreeing with me Teffers, then I'll start to worry.

Don't you get sick of not only being consistently wrong but having to find a new bullsh!t excuse to justify it weekly?

Baldock Rules
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Don't you get sick of not only being consistently wrong but having to find a new bullsh!t excuse to justify it weekly?
But Jeff what you consider wrong is your own subjective opinion.

I agree with Teflon and Patrick on this.

Ross Lyon must be given time and cannot be held solely responsible for poor execution and application.

There are freaks and freaks and Baldock was both of those.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:
saint patrick wrote:I have enormous respect for Ross,s integrity and knowledge of the game...
Why?
If you listen to his press conferences every week (and manage to stay awake), Ross clearly knows what's going on out there. He can tell you why we're losing. He can tell you what we need to do to win. He seems to be really struggling to get the players to actually do it.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Baldock Rules wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:
Teflon wrote:

But Jeff what you consider wrong is your own subjective opinion.

I agree with Teflon and Patrick on this.

Ross Lyon must be given time and cannot be held solely responsible for poor execution and application.
Doc did you see it?

You ask Jeff a straight up question - do you want the current coached sacked jeff?

and he squibs it.

why?

Much more fun to muck rake at a difficult time for saints fans that get off the fence and have an opinion.

Andrew Thompson said on radio today - Lyon will be given his chance to mould HIS list. He deserves that at a minimum as our slide started before Lyon and ANY decent football follower knows that.

“Yeah….nah””