D Day for Cockroach.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

D Day for Cockroach.

If the Saints don't come out and absolutely smash the dees after our terrible performances of late then we must clean out the coach.
Simple as that really, I'm not talking about the tactical side of things although that is another issue, from an attacking side to a totally bewildered one, I'm talking about the mindset of the players.
If we played like Melb did against the Hawks we would be unstoppable with our list.
I was watching Lyons talk the other night...I fell asleep before he finished...is he having that effect on the players?
We have a history of dumping coaches too soon and I have been very critical of it in the past (except Watson)....this time it is something really worth considering.
I don't see it as a knee jerk reaction, I see it as a positive reaction to a very poor performance and resultant reversal of form by our team.
Last edited by The Fireman on Tue 27 May 2008 2:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Re: D Day for Cockroach.

The Fireman wrote:If the Saints don't come out and absolutely smash the dees after our terrible performances of late then we must clean out the coach.
Simple as that really, I'm not talking about the tactical side of things although that is another issue, I'm talking about the mindset of the players.
If we played like Melb did against the Hawks we would be unstoppable with our list.
I was watching Lyons talk the other night...I fell asleep before he finished...is he having that effect on the players?
We have a history of dumping coaches too soon and I have been very critical of it in the past (except Watson)....this time it is something really worth considering.
I don't see it as a knee jerk reaction, I see it as a positive reaction to a very poor performance and resultant reversal of form by our team.
but it was apparently really worth considering last time...and the last time...and the last time

some things never change at the saints...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: D Day for Cockroach.

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
but it was apparently really worth considering last time...and the last time...and the last time

some things never change at the saints...
Not by me it wasn't.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Agreed. He has had plenty of time to show some improvement, and the fact we've gone backwards has to be pinned on the head coach.

This week is a real test. It's disinterested-class versus unskilled-passion.

If we don't get the 4 points in convincing fashion this week, Ross Lyon should be in the gun.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i agree with fireman.
but
i think it shouldnt happen because it is not good for the mindset of the players.
could u imagine harveys thinking...
"shiiiit, here we go again" :roll:

but i wholeheartedly agree that lyon is not going to bring success for the boyz

Raven
Club Player

I really hate to be negative, but I'm really worried about this week. During rounds 1 and 2 I would have laughed in the face of anyone who suggested Melbourne would stand a chance against us. Now....... I'm not so sure. :(

Prove me wrong, boys. I'd like to see the first thumping by St Kilda in a long time.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Some people have been saying "Oh St Kilda, whenever there's a crisis, everyone turns on the coach..."

Erm, here's something to consider - how many people here wanted to see Grant Thomas sacked at the end of 2006?

Rod Butterss, B4E and that's about it.

As for Ross Lyon, his passionless brand of football is ripping the soul from the club at a time when we need exactly the opposite.

He's got a month. Three wins from four or bust.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Behind Play
Club Player

Ironical if RL does get the bullet after the Melbourne game, if i remeber Balmie lost his job after we gave the dees a hiding.

bob__71
Club Player

Well at least getting crap results would be a reasonable reason to sack the coach

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Gawd...another tired old 'get rid of the coach' thread...shame I can't lock 'em, coz they're a waste of space. Join one of the other 20 going around, or read the 'List Cloggers' thread and ponder that one for a while. RL getting the flick...not likely...Kosi and Dal traded, also not likely. Get over it, move on.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Some people have been saying "Oh St Kilda, whenever there's a crisis, everyone turns on the coach..."

Erm, here's something to consider - how many people here wanted to see Grant Thomas sacked at the end of 2006?

Rod Butterss, B4E and that's about it.

As for Ross Lyon, his passionless brand of football is ripping the soul from the club at a time when we need exactly the opposite.

He's got a month. Three wins from four or bust.
Spot on,my point exactly.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Cockroach. Nice bit of respect there Firey. :roll:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Gawd...another tired old 'get rid of the coach' thread...shame I can't lock 'em, coz they're a waste of space. Join one of the other 20 going around, or read the 'List Cloggers' thread and ponder that one for a while. RL getting the flick...not likely...Kosi and Dal traded, also not likely. Get over it, move on.
Yeah good idea, let's all sit back and be quiet and watch the circus roll on. Yeah..let's get over it and accept our shitful existence.
Let's not complain because it's just a waste of space, who needs forums anyway :roll:
I have a tip for you mate, if it's a waste of space don't highlight your hypocrisy by joining in.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

bob__71 wrote:Well at least getting crap results would be a reasonable reason to sack the coach
It goes so far past the results. Didn't anyone wonder why, at 4-3 and 5th on the ladder, we had one injured, out of form player picked for the dream team game??

It's the way we are playing, the dull, sleep inducing style of play, and the lack of any passion short of Maxie giving a few sprays to his team mates. Watch when we kick a goal, we get a few high fives of relief and that's it.

The players are out there because it's their job. None of them actually look like they wanna be there. They should all watch the tape of the last quarter from the Bulldogs vs North game, and the post match celebrations. I would love to see the Saints do something like that, but it ain't gonna happen with RL around.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:Cockroach. Nice bit of respect there Firey. :roll:
Nickname for coach.
Never heard of it? Used a lot, our local coach is affectionately called the Cockroach.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
degruch wrote:Gawd...another tired old 'get rid of the coach' thread...shame I can't lock 'em, coz they're a waste of space. Join one of the other 20 going around, or read the 'List Cloggers' thread and ponder that one for a while. RL getting the flick...not likely...Kosi and Dal traded, also not likely. Get over it, move on.
Yeah good idea, let's all sit back and be quiet and watch the circus roll on. Yeah..let's get over it and accept our shitful existence.
Let's not complain because it's just a waste of space, who needs forums anyway :roll:
I have a tip for you mate, if it's a waste of space don't highlight your hypocrisy by joining in.
Already done that on a couple 'sack Lyon' threads...no-one's managed to convince me killing the club off prior to GC17 is a great idea. This thread is just as crap.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote:Nickname for coach.
Never heard of it? Used a lot, our local coach is affectionately called the Cockroach.
Nope. Never heard of it. But I've only been around footy clubs since 1976 so I could have missed it. :wink:

But in that light I'll forgive you. :wink:

bergsone
SS Life Member

Fortunately or unfortunately its not the people on here who make those decisions.Surely the board must be having reservations now after 18 months ,whether it be after melb game,end of 08 or 09 or later ,its up to RL to show his worth ,IMO he has to stop the slide now or he will go ,its just a matter of when

matrix
Saintsational Legend

nicks bus statement seems kinda ironic in hindsight...
isnt that what we have...a bus?.

(bus=half a coach :twisted: )

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Nickname for coach.
Nope. Never heard of it. But I've only been around footy clubs since 1976 so I could have missed it. :wink:

But in that light I'll forgive you. :wink:
:D

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:Fortunately or unfortunately its not the people on here who make those decisions.Surely the board must be having reservations now after 18 months ,whether it be after melb game,end of 08 or 09 or later ,its up to RL to show his worth ,IMO he has to stop the slide now or he will go ,its just a matter of when
Correct but as supporters and voting members our voice assists in formulating decision making however so slight.
I would be surprised if people in high position didn't peruse these type of forums.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i predict lyon will see out his contract so he has a season and a half to turn it around. the club simply cannot afford to be continually paying out ex-coaches and being seen to do so.

i thought we erred badly by getting rid of gt, but what can be done about that now?

there's nothing for it but to get behind the new guy and hope he improves.

maybe the revolution has to come from the players.

perhaps they should hijack it and start playing the type of football they know they are capable of and have played in the past.

many of our young guys have seen finals action and must remember what it took to get there.

Buckets
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:i predict lyon will see out his contract so he has a season and a half to turn it around. the club simply cannot afford to be continually paying out ex-coaches and being seen to do so.

i thought we erred badly by getting rid of gt, but what can be done about that now?

there's nothing for it but to get behind the new guy and hope he improves.

maybe the revolution has to come from the players.

perhaps they should hijack it and start playing the type of football they know they are capable of and have played in the past.

many of our young guys have seen finals action and must remember what it took to get there.
If we keep Lyon for the rest of his contract and we dont have that improvement we all need then we might as well follow another team cos by then the club would need serious rebuilding and we would have that chance for 7 years thanks to the inclusion of the new clubs!
This is the worst place for the club to be in at the moment. We cant afford to go through a major rebuild because if that were to happen we would spend the next 10 years down on the bottom of the ladder!
Hell if we are to keep Lyon on i would expect at trade time to place alot of emphasis on getting players from other clubs that may want to come to Melbourne e.g. Brown, Kerr. If he doesnt do this then we are screwed!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
bergsone
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:
bergsone wrote:Fortunately or unfortunately its not the people on here who make those decisions.Surely the board must be having reservations now after 18 months ,whether it be after melb game,end of 08 or 09 or later ,its up to RL to show his worth ,IMO he has to stop the slide now or he will go ,its just a matter of when
Correct but as supporters and voting members our voice assists in formulating decision making however so slight.
I would be surprised if people in high position didn't peruse these type of forums.
Yes agree fireman,for what its worth,i have been sitting on the fence with RL,wonder how many board members feel the same,because im getting a sore a##se sitting here

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Damn straight!
If they don't deliver, give 'em a hosing, Fireman!