Daniel Kerr to St Kilda?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Doc
Club Player

Daniel Kerr to St Kilda?

I've been reading all the trade talk from people who have written this year off already and saying we need to delist half the squad and go nuts in the draft before the concessions made to GC17.

Rumour has it Daniel Kerr might want to come home to Melbourne. He's only just turned 25 - would it be worth trading for him?

What would we have to give up to get him?

Discuss.

2010 has a nice ring to it.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

'come home' to Melbourne?

He's an East Fremantle boy. No 'come home' factor with him.

However, I do think he's a trade chance with a Melbourne club.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Buckets
SS Life Member

I think the answer would have to be yes....of course there would have to stipulations before he joined ala M. Gardiner.
However you would think that WCE would ask too much for him! And the last thing you want to do is to give away any high draft picks!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
The Doc
Club Player

My mistake with the come home thing then - have heard it mentioned on radio as such. Sorry.

Yet the rumours are there that he wants to come to the Big Smoke.

Regardless - what do you think he'd be worth?

2010 has a nice ring to it.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

DK is a genuine Superstar..

We will not finish low enough to have a draft pick worthy of him...

And I don't really see who we could trade that WC would want that we would be happy to let go..even with a second round draft pick thrown in.

ie You ae talking say McEvoy plus our first or second round pick for example.

The Demons would have front running......

Natuni.....or Kerr???

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Some potential Kerr trades:

1. Fevola to West Coast, Kerr to Carlton

2. Dal Santo & pick to West Coast, Kerr to St Kilda

3. Josh Kennedy to West Coast plus pick 3, Kerr to Carlton

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Buckets
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:Some potential Kerr trades:

1. Fevola to West Coast, Kerr to Carlton

2. Dal Santo & pick to West Coast, Kerr to St Kilda

Could be possible but would we really want to get rid of him???

I wouldn't like seeing him run around in opposition colours!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:

Good for Carlton...as they already sent him to WC for Judd :wink:

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Yes thought that last trade sounded familiar. :wink:

Kerr over Dal Santo? In a heartbeat.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The problem with picking up Daniel Kerr would be the strain it would put on our salary cap.
Carlton maybe rejoicing in receiving the Judd but mark my words it will bite them in a few years when they try to squeeze him and all those other first round draft picks into their salary cap.
The only reason we would get Kerr would be if he came cheap in way of trade and renumeration.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Montanga and mid range pick,sorry but iam dissappointed in him this year ,though many here rate him highly

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

bergsone wrote:Montanga and mid range pick,sorry but iam dissappointed in him this year ,though many here rate him highly

Had a excellent year last year, but way down this year. However, who isnt really? I dont think we can trade any bona fide guns/ key position players/ based on this years form. Its heading for a write off, and I dont think we are in ANY position to be offering class mids up for trade.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Got to give up like for like. Montagna and a mid range pick isn't going to cut it for one of the best midfielders in the comp.

It would be a top player with a high draft pick.

Don't over value our players and under value others. Kerr is a gun. Not to many guns on our list at present in the midfield.

Other than one who is 48 years old...or at least Glenn Archer thinks so!

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Re: Daniel Kerr to St Kilda?

The Doc wrote:I've been reading all the trade talk from people who have written this year off already and saying we need to delist half the squad and go nuts in the draft before the concessions made to GC17.

Rumour has it Daniel Kerr might want to come home to Melbourne. He's only just turned 25 - would it be worth trading for him?

Discuss.
Clinton Jones and round 2 selection :wink:

But seriously I hope we stay out of the hype. Kerr is still contracted so the Eagles have the ultimate power in trading him. They are clever (if they trade him) in realising that they are a team in rebuilding stage with potentially the best young list in the league. After this year the draft won't benefit sides down the bottom so you've got to get your picks this year.

I'm not convinced that we are a side in a rebuilding phrase just yet - however if this is the path the club chooses then I would hope we follow the West Coast's, Hawthorn's and to a lesser extent Melbourne's lead of trading one or two high profile players for a few first/second round picks.

In the following lists I'm in no way suggesting that we trade these players, just a list of players who will gain interest.

Considerable Interest (Note: Gold Coast would be interested in all the following players):
Luke Ball (High draft pick, leader. Hawthorn would be keen.)
Nick Dal Santo (First round draft pick. Classy and would benefit being in a good side. Membership model. Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon would be keen.)
Sam Fisher (Very reliable tall, attacking defender. Has the interstate "go home" factor. Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Carlton, Hawthorn and Essendon.)
Brendon Goddard (Number one draft pick. Hasn't disappointed. Carlton, North Melbourne)
Lenny Hayes (Leader, First round draft pick, brilliant inside midfielder. Sydney, Brisbane, Hawthorn, Essendon.)
Justin Koschitzke (High draft pick, tall and still got plenty of upside. Sydney, North Melbourne, Essendon, Collingwood, Fremantle)
Leigh Montagna (Improvement has lead to bigger profile. Quick and skillful. Essendon, Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Richmond)
Nick Riewoldt (Huge profile, top few players in the game. Gold Coast will offer heaps. Essendon, Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton, Brisbane)

Some Interest:
David Armitage (Top ten pick, young Queensland boy. Brisbane, Gold Coast)
Steven Baker (Well known tagger. Carlton, Geelong, Kangaroos)
Xavier Clarke (X-factor, top 5 pick. Essendon, Brisbane, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast, Richmond)
Leigh Fisher (Has attracted interest in the past. Sydney, Essendon, Carlton.)
Sam Gilbert (Young, flashy, tall, Queenslander. Brisbane, Gold Coast, Essendon)
Jason Gram (Quick, hair sponsorship opportunities, gamebreaker. Essendon, Brisbane, Carlton, North Melbourne, Gold Coast, Western Bulldogs)
Matt Maguire (Key defender, leader. Media friendly. Attracted plenty of interest in previous years, injury lowers value. Hawthorn, Carlton, Essendon, Gold Coast.)
Stephen Milne (Flashy and exciting, well known. Essendon)
Adam Schneider (Flash and exciting, well known. Sydney, Gold Coast, Essendon (West Sydney).)

Perhaps:
Raphael Clarke (High draft pick, potential. Essendon, Port Adelaide.)
Aaron Fiora ("Go home factor" Mark Williams works well with rejects. High draft pick. Port Adelaide, Adelaide.)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Yes thought that last trade sounded familiar. :wink:

Kerr over Dal Santo? In a heartbeat.
spot on.

Dal is a very good player, but not what we require right now, could be a good fit for both sides.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Wc have been stockpiling kids....good kids...

If they trad Kerr they will want to further their stockpile.

The first two picks at this stage are both from WA...and WC will be looking how they can gain one or both of them.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Anyway....

Dees to finish bottom.....

Swap a pick for Kerr......

Now with Cousins.....I assume that he has to be in the main draft and not the PSD???...otherwise the dees could get Kerr and Cousins.

Though the question is then....should the dees do that or go for youth themselves???

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:Wc have been stockpiling kids....good kids...

The first two picks at this stage are both from WA...and WC will be looking how they can gain one or both of them.
so start tanking now we may get #1 definitely #2. ;)

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Cousins wont be picked up by any club, too much downside for too little upside.

Maybe if he was 3 year younger someone would take a punt but not at 29 or 30 thou he could still play good footy for anther 2 or 3 years, clubs just wont touch him.

gooner
Club Player

redwhite&blackblood wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Wc have been stockpiling kids....good kids...

so start tanking now we may get #1 definitely #2. ;)
I thought we were already.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

ausfatcat wrote:Cousins wont be picked up by any club, too much downside for too little upside.

Maybe if he was 3 year younger someone would take a punt but not at 29 or 30 thou he could still play good footy for anther 2 or 3 years, clubs just wont touch him.
Ah but that was also said about MG. didnt stop us

Before Im 85
Batnoe

I thought the GC were in it from next year onwards, which means the 1st five picks

Might go to GC before a Melbourne team

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We have got salary cap problems now. Recruiting Daniel Kerr would blow it to smitherenes !!

Richter
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote: Dal is a very good player, but not what we require right now, could be a good fit for both sides.
Are you serious? We lack players with skill by foot.

i.e. Dal Santo/Goddard types.

We can get the ball - we're ok for clearances, the problem is what we do with it. Lenny and LB can get it but neither are very good users of the football. The number of times we win the ball and kick aimlessly into the forward line - I pull my hair out....

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Re: Daniel Kerr to St Kilda?

The Doc wrote:I've been reading all the trade talk from people who have written this year off already and saying we need to delist half the squad and go nuts in the draft before the concessions made to GC17.

Discuss.
That won’t achieve much at all . Once he settles in and becomes infected with our disease his form will turn to s—t as well. We have to re program the whole club . How’s a player performing hot in a well oiled machine going to go once he’s thrown into our disorganised mess ( and I know the Eagles aren’t a well oiled machine now but the Kerr we’re thinking of was when it was ) ?

He’ll become like the rest of them and we’ll be watching Gram confidently carving em up out of the backline for the Eagles.