Michael Gardiner

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbob
SS Life Member

Michael Gardiner

I'm happy that Michael Gardiner is finally starting to deliver, his last 4 weeks have been very good.
His ruck work especailly to Hayes and Ball has been first rate.
Can't understand why when Kingy's in the side, Gardiner nearly always starts on the bench.
Only negative is that awful kicking action when he's on the run.

yipper
SS Life Member

Been a good player for us - especially over the past 4 weeks. His ruckwork is very good - and he is roaming around the ground much easier now. Reckon he took it right up to the Doggies on the weekend - and did all he could to get us going.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Not only has he been pretty good, but he appears to be improving every time he steps out. I have my fingers crossed that he can get back to his AA form !!

Red
Club Player

Ruckwork isn't bad but he needs to do more around the ground.

Against some sides the ruckman is an extra midfielder.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Michael Gardiner

saintbob wrote:
Can't understand why when Kingy's in the side, Gardiner nearly always starts on the bench.
I think that now his fitness is to a higher standard that he will get more TOG even when King is in the side too.....with Gardi becoming the No 1 ruck and King the No 2.

Gardi is better around the ground...so in say 6 weeks if both are fit I would imagine that Gardi's TOG will bea fair bit greater than Kings as Gardi will be used more around the ground.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Now that we have a ruckman, why aren't we winning games?

We're getting plenty of 'hitouts to advantage' but are getting brained every week.

I don't get it.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Gardi is better around the ground...
I disagree with that entirely. Gardiner's disposal was woeful on the weekend. King's ball skills are much more reliable. IMO, if King can get his body right then he's clearly our number one ruck. King's best has been a lot better than Gardiner's best.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:Now that we have a ruckman, why aren't we winning games?

We're getting plenty of 'hitouts to advantage' but are getting brained every week.

I don't get it.
The old golfing saying

Your Drive for show, putt for dough!

Before Im 85
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
I disagree with that entirely. Gardiner's disposal was woeful on the weekend. King's ball skills are much more reliable. IMO, if King can get his body right then he's clearly our number one ruck. King's best has been a lot better than Gardiner's best.
I disagree, Gardiner used to be an absolute freak a few years back, while he may never reach that form again we can always hope

:P

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bergsone
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
I disagree, Gardiner used to be an absolute freak a few years back, while he may never reach that form again we can always hope

Agree with you armoo

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I don't get it.
You get it. We all get it.

Three little words.

NOT. GOOD. ENOUGH.

Simple fact is, we've topped up when we should've stuck to the plan. If ever there is a warning that is it.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I don't get it.
Not surprising.

We stuffed up our recruiting for years....and so we are competing with handful of players in the midfield when our major opponents are running say ten capable players through.

Schneider at present for pick 26 would look to be adding to those sad sad years.

All those young quick mids......are not there...our former depth in the midfield has retired.....and there is big age gap for Armo and Steven to come through. Howard would look to be yet another JB smokie that was not researched through well enough....he may come good but was not worth his price.

Over the last 3 years are midfield grou has shrunk in numbers...other good teams have pumped theirs upto 10 players.

We need to improve our midfield group....and not get rid of King and Gardiner.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

I don't get it.
Not surprising.

We stuffed up our recruiting for years....and so we are competing with handful of players in the midfield when our major opponents are running say ten capable players through.

Schneider at present for pick 26 would look to be adding to those sad sad years.

All those young quick mids......are not there...our former depth in the midfield has retired.....and there is big age gap for Armo and Steven to come through. Howard would look to be yet another JB smokie that was not researched through well enough....he may come good but was not worth his price.

Over the last 3 years are midfield grou has shrunk in numbers...other good teams have pumped theirs upto 10 players.

We need to improve our midfield group....and not get rid of King and Gardiner.
Who have we lost from the midfield group?

Thompson? Powell?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

thompson,
powell
burke
guerra...

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:thompson,
powell
burke
guerra...
Burke hasn't played for 5 years and Guerra never has been and never will be a midfielder.

It's not the players we've lost that are hurting us (except for maybe Black), it's the ones we haven't gained. If we could throw in a group like Foley, Pearce and Houli (all available to us with several picks) then there would be no problem with our midfield. And I'm sure if we had those three and were still using Kosi and Blake as ruckmen they would still be dominating clearances.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:
vacuous space wrote:King's best has been a lot better than Gardiner's best.

King's best this year has been better than Gardiner's best this year. As to which one was the better ruckman in the distant past, I'll leave that to others to decide.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:thompson,
powell
burke
guerra...
Burke hasn't played for 5 years and Guerra never has been and never will be a midfielder.

It's not the players we've lost that are hurting us (except for maybe Black), it's the ones we haven't gained. If we could throw in a group like Foley, Pearce and Houli (all available to us with several picks) then there would be no problem with our midfield. And I'm sure if we had those three and were still using Kosi and Blake as ruckmen they would still be dominating clearances.
Exactly MSG....but they would do even better with King and gardi...than Kosi and Blake in the ruck.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:

King's best this year has been better than Gardiner's best this year. .
Well it is a nice problem to have...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Thompson? Powell?
Don't forget Frankie Peckett....who the later part of his career was a fantastic runner and outside midfielder.

Go back 4 years and you also had Black...who also played HB...(and Black, Jones and frankie gave you lots of run...)

Thompson and Powell good hard at hard working mids...Frankie on the outside..

St.Kenny
Club Player

This guy put on one of the most woeful performances I have seen by a ruckman in recent times last game. Kicked like an 'Auskicker' ,rucked and ran around the ground like a maimed giraffe. All huff and puff, no fire!

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
The Doc
Club Player

St.Kenny wrote:This guy put on one of the most woeful performances I have seen by a ruckman in recent times last game. Kicked like an 'Auskicker' ,rucked and ran around the ground like a maimed giraffe. All huff and puff, no fire!
He's obviously not ready to play first ruck just yet, but does OK as second fiddle to King. He probably had to up his game time after Kosi hurt his knee (I know Blake was in there for a couple of bounces and contests around the ground, but no doubt less than what Kosi would have been).

I do remember his kicking being a whole lot more penetrating in the Who Cares Cup final, but that again may be a fatigue issue, as per above.

Give him time. Give him King.

2010 has a nice ring to it.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Thompson? Powell?
Don't forget Frankie Peckett....who the later part of his career was a fantastic runner and outside midfielder.

Go back 4 years and you also had Black...who also played HB...(and Black, Jones and frankie gave you lots of run...)

frankie was overrated on this forum big time and since his retirement this has grown

he never a mid...had average disposal and had poor awareness....

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Thompson? Powell?

frankie was overrated on this forum big time and since his retirement this has grown

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:frankie was overrated on this forum big time and since his retirement this has grown

Frankie was the best in the business at being able to find space on the wing. Was slow and had poor skills, but his awareness was second to none.