Two good forwards from complete turnaround

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Two good forwards from complete turnaround

Forget addressing affected areas from where the real problem is WE NEED A COUPLE OF GOOD GOAL KICKING FORWARDS. I’m as shattered as much as everyone about the way we are looking but when I take a good long look at this list I refuse to believe this is our true ability and we need to get rid of Kosi , Ball , Harvey , Dal Santo and any other players people on this forum have suggested that were great players only a few years ago that I believe are just down on form at the moment . I’m sure in most other clubs they would be playing great football.

I’m not saying a Lockett and a Dunstall but even just a big strong marking straight kicking full forward like a Bradshaw and a mid size fast athletic Mark Williams/Paul Medhurst type accurate goal kicker. Then Riewoldt can go half forward or wing and Kosi change in the ruck with King and Gardiner .

Think about it two serious goal kicking forwards with Riewoldt floating around wing/half forward, Kosi changing half back with Gardiner and King in the ruck , midfield of Ball , Harvey, Hayes , Dal Santo , Montagna , Schneider and S. Fisher, Goddard, Gram, Hudghton, down back and delist the rubbish like Raph Clarke, C.Gardiner etc.

Surely that would have to create a big change and lift in all of them. I still believe this is where our problem is and players coming back into the side in any other position wont make any difference at all.

iceman
Club Player

it was actually pretty interesting some years ago St. Kilda were very very close to getting Bradshaw. I can't remember this was before Brisbane's 3 flags or not, but he would have been perhaps the missing link in the forward line.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

iceman wrote:it was actually pretty interesting some years ago St. Kilda were very very close to getting Bradshaw. I can't remember this was before Brisbane's 3 flags or not, but he would have been perhaps the missing link in the forward line.
bradshaw was never good until the premiership years...he thrived around brown and lynch and has matured big time with brown

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Teach Koschitzke and Riewoldt how to act in tandem as a FF/CHF combination, and teach them how to kick straight.

Problem solved.

So much untapped potential right there, we'd be top of the ladder and flag favourites if these two guys were up and firing and kicking goals.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It's always "if"........

When will it be "is"

:?

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

a good goal kicking medium forward away

a tough small forward away

milne kosi schnieder
ferg roo armo???

The Doc
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:a good goal kicking medium forward

a tough small forward
Medium fwd should be C Gardiner/Ferg/Allen/Clarke

Small fwd should be Schneider.

Time for those named to either be given a chance or step up

2010 has a nice ring to it.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steven will be our hard nut Forward Pocket, who rotates through the midfield.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The Doc wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:a good goal kicking medium forward

a tough small forward
Medium fwd should be C Gardiner/Ferg/Allen/Clarke

Small fwd should be Schneider.

Time for those named to either be given a chance or step up
Allen is not a medium fwd. Great Contested mark, and okay on the lead (needs to find a few yards of speed), struggles with the ball at ground level, but can chase and tackle.

Should come into the side for Koschitzke if his knee is no good.

X would be a premier small fwd if he could find the goals more often. Certainly applys the pressure and can get the ball. Just cannot deliver in front of the big sticks (a common trend amongst our players, it seems)

Red
Club Player

It's the midfield/halfback line that's the problem. Get the ball in quickly and

the forwards will do enough.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

In the past, in games where Gehrig was suspended or injured, Riewoldt always looked pretty good playing at FF, with Milne doing the crumbing, Hamill as a medium-sized forward, and Kosi as a utility floating into the forward 50 from time to time as an alternative target.

Couldn't we try a modified form of this setup again for at least one game? I would be sorely tempted to try Gwilt or BJ (or even Raph as some have suggested) - as our medium-sized forward (sorry Ferguson fans, I'm just not a believer). We could even thrown in C Gardiner as well for a last shot at the big time. And have Clinton Jones stationed permanently forward as well to try to get turnovers.

So that gives us a forward setup with Riewoldt, Milne, Gwilt (or BJ) and C Jones more or less permanently stationed forward with C Gardiner and Kosi running forward from time to time to provide alternative targets. And the likes of NDS and Harves and Joey being used to feed the ball up the middle towards them.

But there are lots of other variations possible around the basic theme of putting your star forward - Riewoldt - in the goal square and building your entire setup around this key feature.

Given that Riewoldt doesn't seem to be 100% fit at the moment, playing him at FF for an entire game for a couple of weeks surely has to be worth a try. Doesn't it?

Sometimes I worry that Lyon's instincts go in the opposition direction to trying really simple solutions like this one.

Even if he did try it for a while and it didn't work, so what? The other, more complicated strategies that he has been using for 33 games now don't seem to be working either.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

rooey at ff...let him set up camp there around a campfire occassionally leading out when the opportunity is right

milne doing his thing

fergo playing the medium/third tall in the forward line...if he could get his kicking together he could kick a back...big if only though

goddard at chf crashing packs and using his aggression and foot skills to deliver to the above three and perhaps snagging a few long bombs to boost the side

if kosi gets back into form i would love to see him as a floater like he played in patches last year...it got him into the game when he was quiet...it was a good move to do so...if he floats back and forward with the occassional ruck contest he could too snag a few and if a match up is good clear the forward line and exploit it...

and schnieder what a schniederman can

its all so bleeding obvious watching from the stands or on the tv isn't it?

JeffDunne

What our forward line lacks is defensive pressure.

We play a 4 or 5 man forward line and most couldn't lay a tackle to save themselves. Kosi gives away too many stupid free kicks and gives up a contest too easily, Milne is more likely to run past the player than tackle, and Roo tries too hard to mark everything when sometimes he should be bringing the ball to ground to the advantage of his crumbers when out of position to mark.

I know people are probably going to think I've packed the pipe too early today, but I'd play Ball up forward to keep the bastards honest.
Last edited by JeffDunne on Wed 11 Jun 2008 6:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:rooey at ff...let him set up camp there around a campfire occassionally leading out when the opportunity is right

milne doing his thing

fergo playing the medium/third tall in the forward line...if he could get his kicking together he could kick a back...big if only though

goddard at chf crashing packs and using his aggression and foot skills to deliver to the above three and perhaps snagging a few long bombs to boost the side

if kosi gets back into form i would love to see him as a floater like he played in patches last year...it got him into the game when he was quiet...it was a good move to do so...if he floats back and forward with the occassional ruck contest he could too snag a few and if a match up is good clear the forward line and exploit it...

and schnieder what a schniederman can

its all so bleeding obvious watching from the stands or on the tv isn't it?
Actually i like the idea of trying Goddard up forward we know how good he can kick and has a bit of speed and good marking ability . May as well give it a go anyway.

congorozides
Club Player

Forwards! FFS. did any of you actually go the game on sunday?

we could have GOD at FF and it would not help. our midfield was murdered. murdered. we have no pace and cant kick and we move the ball so slowly and with no accuracy.
forwards wont help.

JeffDunne

I reckon you want BJ delivering the ball into the F50.

No doubt he could develop into a good forward but personally I'd like to see him receiving the ball around the middle of the ground and be our primary deliverer into the F50.

One of my pet hates when I played at FF (yes I did play a game or two) was midfielders who were unpredictable in their release of the ball. Good midfielders are predictable to the point of dictating when you lead. A player like Gram delivering the ball would drive me absolutely nuts. BJ might not carry the ball like Gram but I’d bet he'd kick it to our forwards advantage more often than not.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

congorozides wrote:Forwards! FFS. did any of you actually go the game on sunday?

we could have GOD at FF and it would not help. our midfield was murdered. murdered. we have no pace and cant kick and we move the ball so slowly and with no accuracy.
forwards wont help.
Agreed... we could of had Gary Ablett and still of been murdered... but seriously... our midfield was beaten ran ragged and absolutely BURNT by speed... Dogs didn't even play that well :roll:, Time to really look for some speedsters...

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I reckon you want BJ delivering the ball into the F50.

No doubt he could develop into a good forward but personally I'd like to see him receiving the ball around the middle of the ground and be our primary deliverer into the F50.

One of my pet hates when I played at FF (yes I did play a game or two) was midfielders who were unpredictable in their release of the ball. Good midfielders are predictable to the point of dictating when you lead. A player like Gram delivering the ball would drive me absolutely nuts. BJ might not carry the ball like Gram but I’d bet he'd kick it to our forwards advantage more often than not.
instead of running it bj would just kick it instead of gram who might run for a little while then stuff up by running too quickly and kicking it off the side of his boot

get the ball to bj and kick it...

get the fricking guy into the game...if he gets tagged then take him to the square where he is big enough to monster opponents and kick scores

ah give the fricking ball to him!!!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I actually think Daniel Motlop would almost be our ideal 'get' right now.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:Teach Koschitzke and Riewoldt how to act in tandem as a FF/CHF combination, and teach them how to kick straight.

Problem solved.

So much untapped potential right there, we'd be top of the ladder and flag favourites if these two guys were up and firing and kicking goals.
Fair comment,my concern is,is there anyone there who can teach them,got my doubts

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

mightysainters wrote:
congorozides wrote:Forwards! FFS. did any of you actually go the game on sunday?

forwards wont help.
Agreed... we could of had Gary Ablett and still of been murdered... but seriously... our midfield was beaten ran ragged and absolutely BURNT by speed... Dogs didn't even play that well :roll:, Time to really look for some speedsters...

How many goals did they miss up forward what did they kick it down to themselves?I believe the midfields shabbiness comes from losing confidence from constant wasted opportunities up forward after the hard work to get it up to them.

If the forwards were doing great and kicking goals the rest of the teams confidence and skills would lift. I think we all agree to try BJ forward rather than back as an experiment now how can we get a subtle suggestion to RL?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:Fair comment,my concern is,is there anyone there who can teach them,got my doubts
Terry Daniher, Stewart Loewe, Fraser Gehrig.

It's clear that Gehrig was the General up forward. Directing traffic and guiding Roo and Kosi. With him out of the side, it's clear that Riewoldt and Koschitzke just don't know what to do, where to lead, or how to go about their business. The goalkicking inacuraccy just stems from this lack of confidence and added perceived pressure.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Erm...one kicking coach away from a complete turn-around.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:
bergsone wrote:Fair comment,my concern is,is there anyone there who can teach them,got my doubts
Terry Daniher, Stewart Loewe, Fraser Gehrig.

It's clear that Gehrig was the General up forward. Directing traffic and guiding Roo and Kosi. With him out of the side, it's clear that Riewoldt and Koschitzke just don't know what to do, where to lead, or how to go about their business. The goalkicking inacuraccy just stems from this lack of confidence and added perceived pressure.
What about our forward coach ,isnt that what he is there for.Yes i would not mind seeing any one of those 3 in a coaching position at the club

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:What about our forward coach ,isnt that what he is there for.Yes i would not mind seeing any one of those 3 in a coaching position at the club
John Barker is a dud. And that's putting my views mildly.

I'd be a bit skeptical of Loewe, just because he has not been in any assistant coaching roles. Spud Frawley could do alright with our backline, but I think he's been put off the coaching caper by his time at Richmond. Just don't let him anywhere near our list management guys.
Last edited by Otiman on Wed 11 Jun 2008 1:21pm, edited 1 time in total.