Playing youth - what does that mean for Harves?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Playing youth - what does that mean for Harves?

I was thinking about Ross' comments that it was time to start playing youth, and the fact that Harves was sitting on the bench for quite some time.

I assume that he was injured, and that he probably shouldn't have played.

But... if we are going in the 'youth' direction, what does that mean for the career of the great man for the rest of the year?

I don't mean this to be disrespectful to anyone, Harves or Ross... this is a genuine question. What's gonna happen?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

doubt theyll drop him

look at maxie, he is 32 so we gonna drop him as well? play harves when he is fit,! !!!

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

He was injured. When was the last time he got 5 kicks?

Maybe from his old man when he was a kid

Another opportunity awaits!
bergsone
SS Life Member

If this is to be his last year,and we are going to promote youth ,sure the youth will benefit by playing with and learning from him.Just having him amongst them will be a comfort to a young player trying to find his way

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 4:42am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Any discussion about Harvey and being dropped is always going to be emotive amoungst St Kilda people. However, I think that Harvey will be in the team for the remainder of the year irrespective of whether he deserves a spot or not and the reason will be for club Harmony. There is clearly a power struggle at the moment and Lyon I suspect would not want to get the balance wrong whent it comes to him taking control of the team which was always going to take longer than one season. Harvey is part of that process right now. A tilt at the flag in 2008 looks impossible right now so why upset things too much by dropping the clubs most loved bloke. Lyon can go about changing the recipe without dropping Harvey and wait until next season to replace his spot, he would already have somebody in mind in any case you would think.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I would think (please note unlike others on this forum I don't profess to know!) that Lyon's 'youth comments' were aimed fairly and squarely at non-performing players and not at players who are 'old'. Older players who are performing their tassk as per the Coaching Panel's instructions I'm sure will be exempt from this new 'youth policy'.

As such players like Harves and Max would have nothing to worry about.

BallBanger
Club Player

Re: Playing youth - what does that mean for Harves?

markinUSA wrote:I was thinking about Ross' comments that it was time to start playing youth, and the fact that Harves was sitting on the bench for quite some time.

I assume that he was injured, and that he probably shouldn't have played.

But... if we are going in the 'youth' direction, what does that mean for the career of the great man for the rest of the year?

I don't mean this to be disrespectful to anyone, Harves or Ross... this is a genuine question. What's gonna happen?
We don't have many kids to pick from (we have loaded up our list with rejects/dumb picks alah brooks x picks 1 + 2, ackland x 2 watts x 1 howard x 2 schneider x 2)...
do we play all the kids?
we only have a few and most have been late picks/rookies.

Can't expect too much from youth that has been overlooked in early rounds.

JeffDunne

If Ross Lyon is introducing a youth policy it probably means Harv's will be offered a three year contract.

Why would anyone pay any attention to Ross' comments?

He says one thing and then does another.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

If we don't see a pretty severe turn around in the next month, Harves may pull the pin before the end of the season anyway. If there was an Eddy or a Howard or even an Attard banging on the door at Casey, the last thing Harves would want is to be holding them back by playing in the seniors.

We can't afford to finish 9th again, we've either gotta play into the 2nd or 3rd week in september, or finish as low as we can. Finishing 9th or 10th helps nobody. If we decide to push a youth policy, I'd suspect harves would put his hand up and retire without needing too much convincing.

SainterX
Club Player

Ross Lyon may be dull, but he is not dumb. If he dropped Harvs there would be a riot :P

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
bergsone
SS Life Member

SainterX wrote:Ross Lyon may be dull, but he is not dumb. If he dropped Harvs there would be a riot :P
Spot on X, well hope he is not that dumb anyway