Genuine Pace

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

congorozides
Club Player

Genuine Pace

Can someone name 1 person on our entire list with genuine pace? Just 1? who is the quickest at the club? probably still fraser.

and i mean genuine pace. dont go giving me the names of the usual plodders (for the record raph and fiora are NOT fast)

For example Andrew Lovett/Kane Tenace (Wojinski)/Tadgh Keneally are actually fast.
Last edited by congorozides on Mon 16 Jun 2008 2:33pm, edited 2 times in total.

luckysaint
Club Player

Brad Howard

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

is tenace is Geelongs best 22?

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

gilbs??

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon "fast" on a footy field is someone who can get the ball and run and break lines, not just an athletic sprinter. The closest I can get is J. Gram. Most of our mids get the ball and do their work in a small area around them..not prepared to break and run.

congorozides
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:is tenace is Geelongs best 22?
I think i meant wojinski anyway...

anyways. thats not the point! ya know what im getting at.

congorozides
Club Player

i mean someone that accelerate away from a pack/contest/stoppage and makes something from nothing and who never gets run down from behind...

bigmicka
Club Player

Last year the quickest player on our books was Baker. With inclusions, i am unsure who is now.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
congorozides
Club Player

bigmicka wrote:Last year the quickest player on our books was Baker. With inclusions, i am unsure who is now.

mic
thanks for that info. interesting to know. im guessing bakes probably is still the quickest then.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:
bigmicka wrote:Last year the quickest player on our books was Baker. With inclusions, i am unsure who is now.

mic
thanks for that info. interesting to know. im guessing bakes probably is still the quickest then.
Depends how fast GT is driving!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Who was the quickest in 2004-2006?

Didn't really matter that much then - why does it now?

Batnoe

Rodger said

why didnt it matter a few years ago? The game was different then, it was dominated by big marking players and big forwards

It is now a fast running game.. The bulldogs havent changed that much by the way they have played but they now have a decent tall forward in Welsh, plus a ruckmen, before then they had no tall forward line... but played the same style a few years ago and they were outside the 8- you compare them to us, they have gone up the ladder we have not. Both playing the same style they played a few years ago

Kane Tenace is actually one of the fastest with Wojinski and can run the 100m in 10.5 seconds so the fact that he looks slow compared to Wojinski surprises me

Brad Howard is supposed to be an athlete and not a football player and we drafted him for his pace as he will break line. sub 11 secs also

Other than that, i have heard our faster players are : Howard, Gram, Joey, Roo, Milne, Max, baker, X Clarke (never uses)

There is only one mid in this group, if you class Bakes as a backmen, otherwise 2

We do have some deceptively quick players. Dal Santo and Harvey are quickish but look slow

we are very slow when you think our important players or midfield players arent there

There should be Ball, Hayes, Dal Santo in there, on a name basis the 3 midfielders on their own look ok but we are breaking down in the forward line
Last edited by Batnoe on Mon 16 Jun 2008 3:34pm, edited 2 times in total.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Who was the quickest in 2004-2006?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

The game has changed dodgy, obviously another thing that's escaped your attention while you've been busy flogging yourself.

The new kick in rule introduced post 2006 has contributed towards this.

You really do have no idea, now back in your foxhole, don't worry we'll let you know when it's groundhog day for goofballs and I'm sure there will be a gaggle of goggle eyed gimps, gumps and geeks for you to play with.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
congorozides
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:

The game has changed dodgy, obviously another thing that's escaped your attention while you've been busy flogging yourself.

oh thats funny. not laughing at you rodger. just the use of the expression "flogging yourself". it is a ripper. havent heard it in years! was used lots in primary school. always got a laugh then and still does now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

spiral2
Club Player

from what I've seen Luke Miles looks quick
no facts and figures but looked like he was burning round at training once
also does instinctively back himself and run when he gets the ball, which would suggest he thinks he's got some toe :)

is Howard actually fast? I know that was the wrap when we got him but I can't recall seeing it. just looks average pace wise when I've seen him playing for scorps. maybe he's one of those deceptively slow looking types :wink:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

The new kick in rule introduced post 2006 has contributed towards this.

You really do have no idea, now back in your foxhole, don't worry we'll let you know when it's groundhog day for goofballs and I'm sure there will be a gaggle of goggle eyed gimps, gumps and geeks for you to play with.
Ahhh the old 'the game has changed' line.

Who are the best players in the comp right now?

Who played in the GF last year?

How exactly has the game changed?

I just cannot comprehend the stupididty of footy fans getting sucked in year after year by the same old stuff.

The traits and recipe for success has not changed one iota in the past 10 years.

congorozides
Club Player

yep

be hard at the ball when we dont have it and kick accurately and use it wisely when WE got it.

we arent doing any of those things right now.

SaintHomer
Club Player

we have pace, they are just not playing good footy. joey, schneider, gram, fiora, x milne all have good pace, they're just not performing for us.

saints big problems are confidence, although not sure how to fix that.

and it's contageous. at present, riewoldt is disgraceful in front of goal, which has to be demoralising to those working hard to get it to him. critical goals missed against sides this year (ie. dogs 1st qtr).

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:Rodger said

why didnt it matter a few years ago? The game was different then, it was dominated by big marking players and big forwards

It is now a fast running game.. The bulldogs havent changed that much by the way they have played but they now have a decent tall forward in Welsh, plus a ruckmen, before then they had no tall forward line... but played the same style a few years ago and they were outside the 8- you compare them to us, they have gone up the ladder we have not. Both playing the same style they played a few years ago

What you've described above, is exactly the way Essendon played in 2000, exactly the way Brisbane played in 2001-2003, exactly the way Port played etc. etc. etc.

Is this 'changing game' anything like the Sydney 2005 model that we copied cause it was 'modern football'?

We're not slow. We're playing slow. Massive difference.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I've heard David Parkin and Peter Schwab both say,when commentating on 774 on Friday nights that StKilda is slow and they need to inject some PACE and TALENT into the midfield.Now of course the forward line has broken down completely as well........

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

The ball will always move through the air quicker than anyone can run. It's as much about moving the ball quickly as it is about carrying it. Courage to break the line is what's important - with fast ball movement.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Genuine Pace

congorozides wrote:Can someone name 1 person on our entire list with genuine pace? Just 1? who is the quickest at the club? probably still fraser.

and i mean genuine pace. dont go giving me the names of the usual plodders (for the record raph and fiora are NOT fast)

For example Andrew Lovett/Kane Tenace (Wojinski)/Tadgh Keneally are actually fast.
The term 'genuine pace' always intrigues me. It is a subjective term. The only way you can objectively assess who is the quickest is by measuring.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
congorozides wrote:Can someone name 1 person on our entire list with genuine pace? Just 1? who is the quickest at the club? probably still fraser.

The term 'genuine pace' always intrigues me. It is a subjective term. The only way you can objectively assess who is the quickest is by measuring.
Hmmm, yeah, I agree about the term's subjectivity. I'm sure Kosi looks like he's got 'genuine pace' when he's being chased by Aaron Sandilands. I would have thought quick decision making, fast and accurate hand/foot skills would be more valuable. I guess what we DON'T need are more Raphs and Gwilts (although they have other skills, fast hand skills and snappy decision making ain't amongst 'em).

With all this emphasis on pace, I'm worried we're goona go out and recruit a team full of soft-ball getting road runners that kick and handball like spastic chickens! It can't be the absolute solution. Have a look at the other thread going 'round that identifies we have hardly any 'hardmen' left...do they need to be fast too?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: soft-ball-getting road runners that kick and handball like spastic chickens!
quote of the week. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

battye
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:We do have some deceptively quick players. Dal Santo and Harvey are quickish but look slow
Indeed. Remember a few weeks ago (can't remember the game) when Harvey chased hard against a player half his age, and managed to apply enough pressure on the player so the kick was rushed and ineffective? That was great.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD