Game odds post selection

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

elvis lives
Club Player

Game odds post selection

prior to the team lists being released Freo were paying 2.60.

now they are paying $1.50. (as reported on the footy show)

I guess the bookies have a view about Dal's worth to the side.

nice one rossco bossco

I am marching in the Saints army
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

What are the Saints paying?

Because we will win.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
supersaints
Club Player

No surprise to me, I said on a previous post the Dockers must be licking their chops, shows as , i said, its now beyond repute, lyon is a wa..ker...........

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

So Dal will be the difference according to half the wankers on this forum?

If he is all St Kilda has going for it we are farked big time.

Go out and back the Saints tomorrow. We will win.

By the way punters set the odds by the amount bet, not the bookies.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
supersaints
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:So Dal will be the difference according to half the wankers on this forum?

Gees Shakey I am missing out big time, tell me the name of a bookmaker who will let me set the odds, and he will be my friend for life......I'll have my house on a bet with anyone who will let me set my odds..... Don't know where you do your betting , but where I come from I look at the odds (that the bookmaker has set) and decide wether i think I am on a winner at those odds, I bet if I think I am , don't bet if I think the odds are too short . I ve NEVER had a bookie offer me to set my own odds.....
The bookie sets the odds,(or field ) the punters bet around those odds, and the bookies adjust the odds to suit the market .......... :idea:

Go Sainters !!!!!
karnaby
Club Player

supersaints wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote: <snip>
<snip> the punters bet around those odds, and the bookies adjust the odds to suit the market .......... :idea:
Obviously great minds think alike :lol:

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:So Dal will be the difference according to half the wankers on this forum?

Gees Shakey I am missing out big time, tell me the name of a bookmaker who will let me set the odds, and he will be my friend for life......I'll have my house on a bet with anyone who will let me set my odds..... Don't know where you do your betting , but where I come from I look at the odds (that the bookmaker has set) and decide wether i think I am on a winner at those odds, I bet if I think I am , don't bet if I think the odds are too short . I ve NEVER had a bookie offer me to set my own odds.....
The bookie sets the odds,(or field ) the punters bet around those odds, and the bookies adjust the odds to suit the market .......... :idea:
No..you are basically wrong.....

Bookies never back the odds as they personally see it...that is a mugs game for the punters. Such an action would see them getting it wrong sooner or later.....and then they would lose money.

No bookies are businessmen. They see where the flow of money is going and change the odds based on where the "punters" are putting the dosh.
Their skill is framing the odds based on the punters so that no matter who wins....that the bookies win.

Their talent is to keep moving the odds reacting to the punters so that they will rake off a margin.

They don't back winners or losers...but seek the sweet spot that attracts punters to back both teams.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
supersaints
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
supersaints wrote:

No..you are basically wrong.....

Bookies never back the odds as they personally see it...that is a mugs game for the punters. Such an action would see them getting it wrong sooner or later.....and then they would lose money.

No bookies are businessmen. They see where the flow of money is going and change the odds based on where the "punters" are putting the dosh.
Their skill is framing the odds based on the punters so that no matter who wins....that the bookies win.

Their talent is to keep moving the odds reacting to the punters so that they will rake off a margin.

They don't back winners or losers...but seek the sweet spot that attracts punters to back both teams.
I am not wrong, you are
Firstly , I never said bookies " back the Odds"???.
The field is always set by the bookmakers, every time, no exception, the odds are then adjusted (after they have been set) dependent on the bests taken by the bookmaker
How the hell do you "set the book" put all the odds up on a board before a game card is open, tell me please ?????
If a board is not open, how the hell do you as a punter get to see the odds, if the bookmaker has not set them until he gets a bet to determine the odds,,,, duhhhh
The flow of money you talk about will not occur, until the bookie has set his book

Go Sainters !!!!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

ahahahaha
punters set the odds
ahahahahha
ahem, sorry....no, wait.....
ahahahahahha

unbelievable.... :lol:

SainterX
Club Player

Its the 13th round, we are the 13th team alphabetically and thus our sportsbet number is 1013.

Could not be a better omen than that :P

Get ready to sing the song Friday night :)

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We can win for sure but whatever way the RL or is that GT haters look at it our chances are less than 12 hours ago. By dropping Dal who will play better. Not Harvs, Lenny, Bally, Rooy, any of the young guys and even Grammy who has been in good form lately. The only person I can see getting a kick up the us id Joey.

If anyone else can think of guys who could get a kick up the arse from dropping Dal please tell.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Game odds post selection

elvis lives wrote:prior to the team lists being released Freo were paying 2.60.

I guess the bookies have a view about Dal's worth to the side.

nice one rossco bossco
So you were putting money on Freo and now you're pissed off...pffft...go tell a forum who give a toss.

St.Walker
Club Player

Agree plugger ross is on the piss as per usual

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Yes, I heard that on the Footy Show. As usual, they were talking crap. Freo opened as favorites, at less than even money, and were at about $1.80 before the team was announced and have come in to $1.60 ( depending on the generosity of your bookie). But the really big move was in the 40+ odds. They have halved from $7 to $3.50.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Worked as a bookmakers clerk when younger - learned a lot - and you're all right to an extent.
What has happened is that the bookie set original odds for this game (may have been $2.60 -may have been more or less depends how long the bet has been available)

When the team lists were released the odds were $2.60 for freo win (if the above info is correct) - then either the bookie dropped the odds expecting a rush of money on freo at odds he believed to be too generous and likely to lose him money - or there WAS a rush of money and the odds dropped to limit the flow of, and potential loss from new bets (and to encourage more bets on the other team to balance out the pot and try and find the win-win situation)

Bookies DO generally try and find that sweet spot where they can't lose - but it is not very likely to happen so instead they find balance OVER a series of matches/races, etc - they do take risks but need to manage those risks.

Finally - if you are a big enough punter you can certainly try and barter around re odds.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "