Channel 7 Commentary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

midas_touch
Club Player

Channel 7 Commentary

Utterly abyssmal.

Commentators miscalling people on a regular basis, and the sound cutting out just added to the painful experience.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Have you never watched channel 7 before?

Thats part and parcel with them.

Their terrible.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I Must disagree, A lot of young players with few games therefore difficult to get it 100% right.
Bruce and Dennis as always a class act.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
matrix
Saintsational Legend

the sound usually cuts out when u hear umps talking to players.

gooner
Club Player

It is a boys club with occasional mentions of a game of football that they can see out of their window. They never let the play get in the way of a good anecdote.

Cometti has become the bore at a party who seems to have rehearsed his one-liners in the mirror the night before. Hilarious. :roll:

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
spiral2
Club Player

I'm guessing it's players swearing being picked up by the umps mics and then bleeped by the producer. seems to happen when there is a disgruntled player near the ump

spiral2
Club Player

ps - agreed Dennis f.cked up a lot of player names tonight but we were full of new and low profile players, many of whom carry similar hairstyles. if you weren't a saints follower it would be a tough gig. guess it's their job though...
Dennis is funny, I'll cut him some slack

ctqs
Club Player

gooner wrote:It is a boys club with occasional mentions of a game of football that they can see out of their window. They never let the play get in the way of a good anecdote.

Cometti has become the bore at a party who seems to have rehearsed his one-liners in the mirror the night before. Hilarious. :roll:
Yes, he actually DOES do that, and has for years. True story.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Saint Mik
Club Player

I think Dennis might of penciled in Freo tonight and was a little rattled after his love child Pav and his soft as butter team mates come up short once again against a side on one leg.

Dangerous Get Farked they would be as dangerous as the half time little league here in Melb.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Commetti's O.K. - he's just working with the tired and incompetent who can't keep up.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Just watched the whole relay and sounded pretty good to me.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Geezus !!

You would all be whinging that much more had Pox been on the roster !!

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I'm not a fan of these two at all. It seems when ever they commentate our game they are willing the other side to win, especially if we play an interstate side and especially mcIrvaney. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:I'm not a fan of these two at all. It seems when ever they commentate our game they are willing the other side to win, especially if we play an interstate side and especially mcIrvaney. :evil: :evil: :evil:
there was a caller to ABC radio after the game last night who had a real go at their call of the game- saying they couldn't do anything but find fault.
And it does seem that many 'commentors' feel they need to 'find the bad' to make any impact in discussion.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ttufc7
Club Player

Absolutely can't stand channel 7's commentary team. And their absolute refusal to show any games live means it isn't possible to listen to the radio as an alternative. When they won the rights off 9 there was all sorts of conjecture over who would make up their on air team and after spending truckloads of money to win the rights they went for the bargain basement options.

The OX - No need to say anything here

Ricky Olarenshaw - What the f**k? Surely there were better options out there. Has no presence on the screen and is totally lacking charisma and profile.

Dennis Commetti - To much focus on his one liners. At 9 they worked well as part of the call but it seems 7 has encouraged him to cram as many in as he can and the way bruce plays up to them is cringeworthy.

Bruce - Its no longer 1995 give up.

aussiejones
Club Player

"when ever they commentate our game they are willing the other side to win "

It really seems like they have decided their pick before the game and then all through the commentary they reflect their view irrespective of how the game is ACTUALLY going in front of them.

Typical is the often repeated comment in the final quarter that the saints are dead on their feet ...and about to be over run , infact they they do have lots of run in the final qtr.

When Harvey puts his hands on his knees they comment he is gone for the night .....next minute he is off again . Thats just how he plays !

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

At least with Channel 7 you don't have to put up with that goose "Huddo" and the random word generation act put on by Robert Walls. Nor the sanctimonious Sainters-hater Tim Lane.

Buckley is the most promising special comments man to have emerged in AFL coverage for years, if not decades.

Cometti's one liners are a bit wearing, but he's been doing them seemingly forever now (I can remember back to hearing his booming voice and his silly jokes alongside George Grijlisich on Sheffield Shield radio coverage from Perth in the 1970s). So they provide a sort of warm glow of nostalgic comfort.

And Bruce: thank god he's back and how we've missed him. He could bring a sense of building drama and unbearable suspense into coverage of an over-80s shuffleboard tournament!

Some of you just don't show enought appreciation for what you've got.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
gooner
Club Player

Cometti has become the embaressing uncle when you were 7 who magics coins from your ear and pretends he's 'got your nose'. God I hate him!

Ooops think I've let slip too much of my family life.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Why do they persist with that dreadful overhead shot which seems to beam in from somewhere over the Rialto building? It's like watching ants running around and it's impossible to work out who has the ball.

By the way, their Sunday broadcast is even worse, considering you would think with the hour delay, they would factor in enough time for the after game inteviews and the singing of the song, rather than telling who dressed the commentators and plugging "yahoo" . It is better to wait two days and tape the Fox game and avoid sitting through a broadcast of ads interrupted occasionally excerpts of the football on Channel 7.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote: It is better to wait two days and tape the Fox game and avoid sitting through a broadcast of ads interrupted occasionally excerpts of the football on Channel 7.
the only problem with that these days is that the replay two days later is shortened to fit the two hours,

the first replay after a game- often the 11 pm or 8 am next day is the only one that is "whole" - aloowing 2 1/2 hours

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
derby Street
Club Player

I would take Channel 7 anyday over Pain Russell. Not only does he make his dislike of St Kilda obvious his cutesy commentary is absolutely annoying.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Side Issue !!

Are Ch7 slowly but surely exiting Pox? !!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The good ones are getting older (Lane, Cometti and McAvaney) and are making recall mistakes - just like me! Unfortunately, the younger ones (Hudson, Chriso and the rest) are just not good enough.

But, I have to say - if we win - who cares about the commentary? And if we loose, I never watch it anyway.

esaint66
SS Life Member

It's pathetic.

* the sound cuts out
* they show useless replays when the match is in progress
* they talk about irrealivent s**t (the only guy who calls the game is bucks)
* they cant get the players right
* they are stats crazy.

*BaLLy iS BeST*
Club Player

lol the worst was when he was talking about roo...and asked the others what number roo wears.

im sorry. but rekon most people would know he is number 12...especially commentators?!

i will miss you bally. but i guess you just didn't want to be here.

heres hoping you are regretting that choice on that last day in september 2010 - go saints.