Drop Gram

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

aussiejones
Club Player

Drop Gram

Gram obviously did not follow the game plan : kicking backwards , sideways or no more than 15m.

Needs a week in the VFL

El Wood
Club Player

No, Harvey is the worst culprit. Actually runs forward when he has the ball and then worst of all kicks it forward. Completely against tem rules. Has to go.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

While I understand this is a joke I would like to take the opportunity to congratulate Gram on his turn of form, I would have had no problem with Gram being dropped a month ago but now he is back playing very close to the type of footy we know we can play, if his confidence can continue to grow he will be back to the player we know he can be in no time.

Assuming he gets votes for the Freo game he will have scored votes 3 games in a row in the SS player of the year competition so it is good to see even his harshest critics (Saintsational) are beginning to take notice of this change of form...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

:roll: yes the coach wants the team to kick backwards :roll: seriously the reason we go backwards is because if we bomb it long it will be rebounded back with ease its all about finding the right option i may annoy to see them chipping around but it would be silly to just kick it forward for the sake of kicking it forward

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
aussiejones
Club Player

Ok so provide a lead......
AND lean how to pinpoint a pass !!!!!!!

bob__71
Club Player

Bombing it in long didnt work very well for freo.

St_Cave
Club Player

yes the coach wants the team to kick backwards seriously the reason we go backwards is because if we bomb it long it will be rebounded back with ease its all about finding the right option i may annoy to see them chipping around but it would be silly to just kick it forward for the sake of kicking it forward
I disagree, i don't know if you have had a chance to get to the game this year but you definitely notice this when your there at the ground.

We flood so hard and deep back into our backline that when we gain possession of the ball we literally don't have one player on the team forward of us. This means that we have to go sideways or backwards in order to allow time for our players to move back up into an attacking position. The main problem is we are just playing way too defensive which is limiting our opportunities going forward.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Good on ya Grammy. Great so see him back in form.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
aussiejones
Club Player

"The main problem is we are just playing way too defensive which is limiting our opportunities going forward. "

So is there not a balance to the strategy ?

Are we lacking forwards or just playing our forwards too far up the ground ?

Surely the RL plan needs some work (other than diciplining talent like Dal and goal kickers like Milne )

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 4:32am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
St_Cave
Club Player

At the moment i think both are problems. If Roo is going to be used as he was on the weekend (which i think he should be) we will need another reliable target going forward. Kosi could do this if he finds some form but whether this happens or not is another thing all together. Possibly Mcevoy could fill this role after a bit more experience? We definitely need a permanent big target that can fulfil this roll week in week out as well as give direction to the players around him. (eg. when we are on the rebound he needs to be able to tell the other players to get out of that hole that he wants to lead into and take there opponents with them so that we can get a one on one instead of the constant 3rd man up that we seem to get.)

Now this plan will still only work if the forwards are actually somewhere forward of halfway which will take some tinkering of the "game plan".

aussiejones
Club Player

"Now this plan will still only work if the forwards are actually somewhere forward of halfway which will take some tinkering of the "game plan"."

At least one stay at home FF , possibly another at CHF.
Even rotate it to mix it up a bit .... so its a one on one

the best of plans need modification .

Note to RL .....Goals win Games .

Does flooding work if they are all one on one , no it just crowds that part of the ground making UGLY unproductive play.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Allen and Charlie out of the square.
Roo and BG on the wings, also taking turns playing thru CHF .
Eddy, Gilbert, Montagna and CJ make up the rest of the forward line, Montagna to play up the ground leaving space for Roo and BG

St_Cave
Club Player

Yeah i definately think at least a stay at home forward and then the small forwards staying outside the 50 until the fall of the ball where they should then be running past for the crum. Our small forwards just sitting inside that 50 ark only succeed in allowing the opposition to double team our tall forward.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

St_Cave wrote:
yes the coach wants the team to kick backwards seriously the reason we go backwards is because if we bomb it long it will be rebounded back with ease its all about finding the right option i may annoy to see them chipping around but it would be silly to just kick it forward for the sake of kicking it forward
I disagree, i don't know if you have had a chance to get to the game this year but you definitely notice this when your there at the ground.

We flood so hard and deep back into our backline that when we gain possession of the ball we literally don't have one player on the team forward of us. This means that we have to go sideways or backwards in order to allow time for our players to move back up into an attacking position. The main problem is we are just playing way too defensive which is limiting our opportunities going forward.
Agree with this...with one addendum.

The reason we have to chip chip when we get the ball is that NO-ONE runs HARD into atack, The movement is pedestrian, just jogging forward as we tack sideways and backwards until someone is inside 50..unfortunately that someone has to lead to the boundary because the rest of the opposition are in the corridor.

Lost track of the amount of times the goalsquare beckoned vacant yet noone bar grammy was prepared to just bomb it over the defenders and let the bounce do what it will.

Oh..sorry..one bloke I did see prepared to gut run to provide an option time and again..as he should at 37 years of age :roll:

We scored 8 of our 10 goals from defense. No wonder our scoriong looked so much like hard work most of the time.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor