Casey Fields playing surface !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Casey Fields playing surface !!

Have heard that the surface at Casey is very heavy and it doesn't take too much rain before it turns into a muddy bog. My source informs me that it was very muddy for a school footy carnival yesterday. Imagine what the joint would be like during a wet winter

That being the case I am happy that we won't have to go there and will be utilising Frankston and Sandringham to train and for our developing players to play on. Both locations are sand based which means there should not be any problems with mud and/or drainage (unless there are cricket pitches in the middle) !!

NoMore
Club Player

no cricket pitches at either of the grounds.

However frankston is so hard its not funny and sandy is quite uneven.

Moorabbin is the best surface for us to train on

yipper
SS Life Member

NoMore wrote:no cricket pitches at either of the grounds.

However frankston is so hard its not funny and sandy is quite uneven.

Moorabbin is the best surface for us to train on
Frankston has a magnificent surface - you want to go down and have a look before you can it. Sandy's has also always been of a high standard. Both grounds would be providing a simialr surface to what is at Moorabbin now.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Ilzy#8
Club Player

Casey has a very lush surface!

It's like playing on soft carpet so don't what the bloke was complaining about.

Unless he was comparing it to the MCG.

#13 BALLBANDWAGON Member

" You don't lose a game, you just run out of time to score "
Behind Play
Club Player

Both grounds are to AFL standards......shame we will not be at either.

saint-stevos56

both grounds are good, stop your sooking, its football not netball.

casey scorp
Club Player

Re: Casey Fields playing surface !!

Eastern wrote:Have heard that the surface at Casey is very heavy and it doesn't take too much rain before it turns into a muddy bog. My source informs me that it was very muddy for a school footy carnival yesterday. Imagine what the joint would be like during a wet winter

That being the case I am happy that we won't have to go there and will be utilising Frankston and Sandringham to train and for our developing players to play on. Both locations are sand based which means there should not be any problems with mud and/or drainage (unless there are cricket pitches in the middle) !!
I think you need to sack your source, or at least get it to report more accurately to you.

There are 4 ovals at Casey Fields with goal posts, and not all are constructed to the same standard.

The VFL Oval is constructed to the top standard - sand based with drainage.

The school carnival took place on different grounds, which are not constructed with sand and which do not have undersurface drainage. The surface of those grounds are holding more water at present.

The surface of the VFL Oval is fine.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Casey Fields playing surface !!

casey scorp wrote:
Eastern wrote:Have heard that the surface at Casey is very heavy and it doesn't take too much rain before it turns into a muddy bog. My source informs me that it was very muddy for a school footy carnival yesterday. Imagine what the joint would be like during a wet winter

I think you need to sack your source, or at least get it to report more accurately to you.

There are 4 ovals at Casey Fields with goal posts, and not all are constructed to the same standard.

The VFL Oval is constructed to the top standard - sand based with drainage.

The school carnival took place on different grounds, which are not constructed with sand and which do not have undersurface drainage. The surface of those grounds are holding more water at present.

The surface of the VFL Oval is fine.
OK !!

I'll deliver an uppercut next time I see him !!

milney044
Club Player

A few mates of mine played at Casey in the carnival and they said they played on the back ovals, i play on them and yes they probably did turn to mud pits.
However the actual Casey ground is lush, it's an awesome ground really having played on it myself. Even in poor weather that ground would not have been a slosh.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

milney044 wrote:A few mates of mine played at Casey in the carnival and they said they played on the back ovals, i play on them and yes they probably did turn to mud pits.
However the actual Casey ground is lush, it's an awesome ground really having played on it myself. Even in poor weather that ground would not have been a slosh.
Pity it is the middle of nowhere and a slight breeze is like a hurricane.

milney044
Club Player

True the wind gets a bit annoying. Yeah it is a strange location, we got lost going there the first time. Ah well Sandringham/ Casey it doesn't bother me but the move looks like a positive for the club overall.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
milney044 wrote:A few mates of mine played at Casey in the carnival and they said they played on the back ovals, i play on them and yes they probably did turn to mud pits.
Very similar to Rowville...........Hold on........its just up the road from........ :roll: :wink: !!

milney044
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Very similar to Rowville...........Hold on........its just up the road from........ :roll: :wink: !!
Haha Rowville is a great place! .....

bergsone
SS Life Member

Gee rowville must have improved,since my day

barneyboyz
Club Player

The two "back" ovals at Casey, although they do hold a bit of water and with the Turf pitch in the larger of the two (where it gets a bit muddy), would still be among the premiere playing fields on the peninsula, for what they were designed for (junior footy).

We are proud of them and in future years when the area develops more, ie. trees etc. shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I think St Kilda made a very big mistake indeed!! but that's just my opinion

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote:The two "back" ovals at Casey, although they do hold a bit of water and with the Turf pitch in the larger of the two (where it gets a bit muddy), would still be among the premiere playing fields on the peninsula, for what they were designed for (junior footy).

We are proud of them and in future years when the area develops more, ie. trees etc. shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I think St Kilda made a very big mistake indeed!! but that's just my opinion
I agree. Should have been with Sandy from the start.

casey scorp
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Pity it is the middle of nowhere and a slight breeze is like a hurricane.
Waverley Park was once in the middle of nowhere.

Casey Fields, today, might appear to be in the middle of nowehere - in 10 years it will be in the middle of 35,000 people.

As Barneyboyz says, with trees growing (thousands already planted) and an urban area enveloping it, the wind factor will inevitably reduce.

Those with foresight will reap the benefits.