Jason Blake

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Jason Blake

An interesting stat on 10 using the GPS tracking system.

The player who covered the greatest distance was Nick Riewoldt. No real surprises there, except we should continue to marvel at his ability.

The second player on the list was - Jason Blake - not surprising to me, but then again, I actually watch the game - unlike his baggers. Not saying his skills are equivalent to Nick's but, gee, his work effort tonight was fantastic. One of his best games.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Re: Jason Blake

perfectionist wrote:An interesting stat on 10 using the GPS tracking system.

The player who covered the greatest distance was Nick Riewoldt. No real surprises there, except we should continue to marvel at his ability.

The second player on the list was - Jason Blake - not surprising to me, but then again, I actually watch the game - unlike his baggers. Not saying his skills are equivalent to Nick's but, gee, his work effort tonight was fantastic. One of his best games.
agreed

in our best six players

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

No opposition from me, I think Jason Blake is greatly under-rated. Give him a job to do and he just does it.

kp83
Club Player

Absolutely, has been very good for us since Goose went down and he had to move to CHB. Defensively he is very solid and is playing to his absolute maximum at the moment. I had him in best 5 tonight. Good on you Blakey!!

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I mentioned in another thread, it was 14.4 kms to Roo and 13.2 to Blake. It shows why Blake gets a game each week and why, if we delsited him, he would get picked up by another club.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

might have found his role as a hard running CHB

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

give him a shock of snowy white hair and you wouldn't tell the difference. :P but seriously, i've always been a blake fan. the reason. apart from riewoldt there are very few guys of his size with that sort of endurance.

i thought fisher was great tonight, too.

krabb
Club Player

Go Blakey....stick it up em! :wink:

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Credit where credit is due - Blakey was terrific tonight. Totally shut-down Corey Jones. Great match-up!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

sorry didn't see this thread.

Mods can mine be merged with this one?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Shaggy
Club Player

Its not just his endurance. JB also happens to have one of the best (if not the best) jump in the AFL.

Some of his footy skills let him down but no question JB is a seriously elite athlete who as a footballer achieves to his best and can now go in with confidence to negate the best playing.

And he is as humble as they come (with the exception of Banger).

You have to love the Blake.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Roo Blake & Armo covered most k.m.s

Blake was consistently effective tonight - very committed. He covered a lot of ground. Deserves recognition tonight. Coming in 3rd. in distance covered was Armitage - great stuff !

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Yep have always been a fan of Blake

Not a star, but puts in in most matches and at best beats is opponent ...

TOO MANY KNOCKERS FOR THIS PLAYER....

and that farking sh1t me, when a player gives his all and covers so much ground in a match......

MAYBE posters that have never rated him in the past ..........

and poster that have liken him to a monkey when up to Sandilands in the past...

Yep this site has gone down because of spamming in the past and just who cares anymore???

The spammer can take his prize and have a site that is devoted to the following......

I Love Rix

I think Blake is crap ( not one positive post from this poster ever]

The selection of our coach is ......

Lets not go there with another "conspiracy theory"

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Was great tonight.

Some fantastic spoils!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Was very good tonight...

But do not get carried away with the GPS stats as that is onlt from the small group of players that were wearing them.

But yes we know that he hasa big engine.
He can play CHB aagainst the Blues freeing up Sam for a more attcaking role.

IN> Hayes and M Gardiner.....which will give us quitea good team

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Was very good tonight...

But do not get carried away with the GPS stats as that is onlt from the small group of players that were wearing them.

whos out though?
Gwilt/Allen?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Was very good tonight...

whos out though?
Gwilt/Allen?
they might not bring gardiner back in.

kosi was pretty damn good when swung on to the ball and having him and riewoldt running around the ground a bit gives us an aerial dominance few teams can match. perhaps they'll persevere with allen.

nicko016
Club Player

Blake was very serviceable tonight and really gave it his all as he always does. I'd just love for him to stop giving away so many free kicks. I think one was a bit dodgy, but he still gave away another 3, and some were in positions once he had already outpositioned his opponent. However, for me it could be that he lacks a bit of confidence in himself to compete one-on-one which he shouldn't because he is quite good in one-on-one contests. It's been a credit to him the way he's established himself in the side but he still has a bit of improvement left if he can get this aspect out of his game.

Shaggy
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:kosi was pretty damn good when swung on to the ball and having him and riewoldt running around the ground a bit gives us an aerial dominance few teams can match.
Its a miracle you can now see the light :D

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
bigcarl wrote:kosi was pretty damn good when swung on to the ball and having him and riewoldt running around the ground a bit gives us an aerial dominance few teams can match.
well it's a chicken and egg thing.

who is going to kick the goals if both are used around the ground? we'd then be without two key forwards and that makes it hard to kick a winning score.

i know what you're saying, but you still have to be able to put a score on the board and kosi did kick two at full forward in the final quarter.

i consider at least one strong marking target vital to any forward set up.

if allen can prove to be the goods down the track then it frees us up considerably.

Shaggy
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Shaggy wrote:
well it's a chicken and egg thing.

who is going to kick the goals if both are used around the ground? we'd then be without two key forwards and that makes it hard to kick a winning score.

i know what you're saying, but you still have to be able to put a score on the board and kosi did kick two at full forward in the final quarter.

i consider at least one strong marking target vital to any forward set up.

if allen can prove to be the goods down the track then it frees us up considerably.
IMO we don't have a FF with G-Train out.

But why sacrifice Kosi in a position he is not suited to.

I would prefer to play the kids at FF (Allen or Big Mac). They should be good for one goal a game whilst gaining valuable match experience.

Kosi on the other hand firing will kick 1-2 a game anyway running down to forward line (which one of his goals came from today I thought - not FF).

villasaint
Club Player

His last two weeks have been fantastic. I have never been an admirer of Blake his kicking has often let him down in the past , but I have never questioned his courage and commitment. His last two weeks have been his best games for our club. Tarrant and Jones have been his scalps and has found a niche taking on a key forward for the opposition. He has proven flexible with Tarrant a tall runner and Jones medium sized forward who is tricky with good hands. Jones was underdone last night but he was smashed by blake.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:Why sacrifice Kosi in a position he is not suited to
I'm not convinced of that. with half decent delivery (which he hasn't had this season) i think he'd do okay.
Shaggy wrote:I would prefer to play the kids at FF (Allen or Big Mac). They should be good for one goal a game whilst gaining valuable match experience.
one goal a game's not really enough from your spearhead. but i'd persevere with allen to allow us the flexibility of giving kosi a run on the ball. once he gets a few touches he gains greatly in confidence.

it's sort of like the riewoldt chf or riewoldt wing debate.

where is he better suited? answer: he's good at either, but he's been stymied at chf at times because we've been smashed everywhere else on the ground and is often double-teamed.

he's benfitted greatly in the past few weeks from being cut loose of the shackles. but the flip side of that is that against the dockers we had NO forward line to speak of and it nearly cost us 4 points.

a lot of things in football can have more than one correct answer. for instance, would dal santo make a better onballer or half forward?

answer: he'd be valuable to the side in either role.

why? because he's a terrific footballer.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 29 Jun 2008 2:40am, edited 2 times in total.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:Credit where credit is due - Blakey was terrific tonight. Totally shut-down Corey Jones. Great match-up!
Totally agree. I like him as a CHB on most of the modern day CHF's. Jon Brown aside, but who can stop him?

Zippy
Club Player

I hope I see more people with a sig like mine in the future.

Go the mighty Blake!!

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€