Changes v. Carlton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Changes v. Carlton

In: Hayes, Baker, M. Gardiner
Out: C. Gardiner, Eddy, Allen

Close: Gilbert (out), Schneider (in), X (in)

C. Gardiner: 7 disposals, 2 tackles, 1 clanger
Eddy: 9 disposals, 0 tackles, 3 clangers
Allen: 6 disposals, 2 tackles, 1 clanger

Selections will be dependent on form over two weeks of VFL matches.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

The most important change is C. Gardinder out.... for anyone, i dont care who, just drop him..

The Sainter
Club Player

What has Baker done to be a walk up inclusion? He looked very ordinary last season before his suspension and seemed slower to me. If you play him, Dempsey and Gram on the back line you will have 3 players who cannot take an overhead mark between them. Put Gram on a wing where his dash will be a great help for our forward line with his kicks coming down there quickly.
Didn't we look so much more dangerous last night when our players such as Goddard and Fisher started kicking long and quickly to the forwards instead of going backwards and sideways. Jones and Armitage continue to impress and surely must continue to be selected each week.
When we changed our style of play we kicked 12 goals in two and a half quarters of football, surely that is a message for Lyons to let the players be more attacking. All in all a fine win when everything looked hopeless half way through the second quarter.

Quixote
SS Life Member

How far away is Xavier Clarke??

I thought his injury wasn't so major... he's missed half the bloody season.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:How far away is Xavier Clarke??

I thought his injury wasn't so major... he's missed half the bloody season.
You may have missed the other strings...but his dad is dying from cancer.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

i would hate to see Kosi, Kingy and Gardi all play together. I think it will make us too slow for the youthful Blues (Kruezer and Cloke) and will be the down fall. We desperately need Lendog back in the middle to take on their priority pick midfield.

I would leave Eddy and Allen in. But must admit Chuckwagon is doubtful. We need to have a forward marking target other than Roo so Allen is my pick. Kosi plays better roaming the ground and gets lost at FF. I think Kingy out this week if Gardi is fit just for leg speed.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
kaos theory
Club Player

I would like to see r. clarke come in for c. gardiner (obviously hayes will also come in).

r. clarke has been playing forward in the scorps, and I think he presents a much better option up forward. he as more skill/creativity than gardiner, & better overhead mark.

This could be the chance for him to establish himself in the seniors. He can play offensively & more instinctively.

We need a classy marking half forward flanker, which will complement roo, kosi, & milne. If he puts in another good performance in the scorps this week, he would be a good inclusion.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

kaos theory wrote:I would like to see r. clarke come in for c. gardiner (obviously hayes will also come in).

r. clarke has been playing forward in the scorps, and I think he presents a much better option up forward. he as more skill/creativity than gardiner, & better overhead mark.

This could be the chance for him to establish himself in the seniors. He can play offensively & more instinctively.

We need a classy marking half forward flanker, which will complement roo, kosi, & milne. If he puts in another good performance in the scorps this week, he would be a good inclusion.
Can Raph mark anymore always punches?

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
saintjake
Club Player

i would make only limited changes.
the blokes have one 2 on the trot
dont drop eddy, he did some good things,
couple of hard hits.
maybe allen, didnt do too much, but did some good things,
and jsut gives that extra target.
id leave the ruck how it was, king played really well,
why drop him for gardi after he played his best game for us?
lenny is back,
and gards shoul dbe out.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

didn't think gardiner was too bad but ould be happy to see just one change

charlie out
hayes in

give schneider, x, baker a game or two in the seconds. Give gardiner another week to make sure he gets through the final 7 weeks and finals.

I like kosi as our back up ruck, will beat cloke and king should beat all their rucks. Allen created some great contests and looked better and better as the game goes on. Can't drop both he and charlie for mids, we will have no leading forwards to kick to.

mini to take stevens, maybe run ball with judd (if he comes back in, word going around is that judd has a broken cheek). If baker really is fit then bring him in for an unlucky eddy (the kid will be back, has a sniff of it). Otherwise the other option would be birss to come in to take judd.

Max to towel up fev.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Yeah i like charlie, but you cant drop any one else really its either charlie or Allen.

Hayes IN

out charlie

but knowing Ross he will want to bring back schneider if he is fit. prob for eddy or someone or minnie

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:Yeah i like charlie, but you cant drop any one else really its either charlie or Allen.

Hayes IN

out charlie

but knowing Ross he will want to bring back schneider if he is fit. prob for eddy or someone or minnie
I actually thought Charlie did a few good things last night. He definetly looked lively when he had the ball.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The Sainter wrote:What has Baker done to be a walk up inclusion? He looked very ordinary last season before his suspension and seemed slower to me.
he looked pretty ordinary at Crown last night when i ran into him at 1:30 in the morning :D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
midas_touch
Club Player

Out: Mini, C Gardiner, Allen
In: Hayes, Baker, M Gardiner (To ensure Kosi plays permanent full forward.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Baker's missed a lot of football, would give him a week or two at Casey for match fitness.

Lenny has to come straight in, C Gardiner at most risk of going.

Allen did some good things, would have been a little more assured of a spot if he had kicked that goal, but he could be that third option up forward.

Would like to see M Gardiner and King interchange for the ruck, but leave the ruck work in the forward 50 to Kosi.

It's nice not to know who to drop for M Gardiner.

derby Street
Club Player

No way can Baker go straight in - he looked underdone before he copped his injurynd and he must get some form / conditioning at Casey.
I reckon we might slip Lenny straight back in :D - probably exit Charlie.
Not too many other changes.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

After today's match at Casey, Birss is probably the only saints player pushing for selection. Miles could be as well, but I think i might be a biased fan there.

The interesting selections is our second string midfielders.

Birss, Eddy, McQualter, Howard, Armitage. With Hayes coming back it makes for some tough decisions.

I don't believe Howard is strong enough defensively to play down back in rotation, and not creative enough to be a forward target, and that will be his downfall for selection this year.

Armitage is bordering on first string mid, only his lower gametime would make me consider him a "backup".

Mini, Birss, and Eddy are all similar players, who can tag as well as providing some run. Mini probably offers the least of the three outside of clearances and packs.

Given how he has handled Gilbert's return from injury, hopefully Ross has learned a lesson and won't bring Baker, X, and Schneider straight back.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Out : Minnie
In : Lenny

Can anyone tell me why Minnie's stats haven't appeared on AFL.com.au for the last 2 wks every other club list 22 players but we only have 21 and its Minnie who hasn't been there both times???

And what were Minnie's stats this week???

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

With Lenny an obvious inclusion if fit, I''d prefer to drop Gwilt. Thought he was ordinary last night and looked off the pace.
Would prefer to retain Eddy, Allen, Armo, Gilbert, Mini in the interests of giving the young guys more game time. CJ has been improving well and has earned his spot.
If X is fit, would play him in the twos and make him earn his spot. Same goes for Schneider.
Bakes has missed too much to come straight back in. Would play Birss before Bakes.
Would definitely retain Kingy. His game last night was his best in RW&B IMO.
Not sure what to do if M.Gardi is fit. Could be a straight swap for C.Gardi but it may make us too top heavy.

rexy
SS Life Member

Personally thought Mini did a great job on Brent Harvey last night and also did some good things with the ball, would have thought Mcqualter was a long way from being dropped. C Gardiner was quiet and will be lucky to play, Allen also quiet but if Kosi is a second ruckman one of those guys needs to be up forward.

Maybe this year?
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:Out : Minnie
In : Lenny

Can anyone tell me why Minnie's stats haven't appeared on AFL.com.au for the last 2 wks every other club list 22 players but we only have 21 and its Minnie who hasn't been there both times???

And what were Minnie's stats this week???
For stats, the AFL site is just about the worst available.

Here are the list of sites I use for stats.

http://www.finalsiren.com/ - Click on "Details" to the right of the match.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/ - Click on "Match Info" below the scores.
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/ For Supercoach and Dreamteam stats (also provided in a per-quarter basis, which is great)

Mini's Stats

Code: Select all

Player 	K	H	D 	M 	HO 	T 	FF	FA 	G 	B	SC 	Rat
Andrew McQualter	10	4	14	6	0	3	0	0	0	0	0	68

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Id bring Birs in for Mqualter.
He can snag a goal AND run with a Judd/Stevens if needed.

Id drop C Gardiner for Lenny

I think Allen could get under Carltons guard...he looks comfortable hes just got to get to some more contests.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Id bring Birs in for Mqualter.
He can snag a goal AND run with a Judd/Stevens if needed.

Id drop C Gardiner for Lenny

I think Allen could get under Carltons guard...he looks comfortable hes just got to get to some more contests.
that's about right. allen in would allow riewoldt to play wing or kosi to play ruck, but probably not both at the same time. though i guess that c. gardiner in as well as allen would allow us even more flexibity in that regard

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Just looking at the replay.

Gilbert's game was better than I gave him credit for, was extremely solid defensively. Developing into a CHB rather than a wing/flanker, which is a good sign. No worries in him keeping his spot.

Mini is an interesting one, was supposedly playing on Harvey, but only seemed to run with him in the packs. Wasn't damaging or creative enough with his disposal. I'd bring Birss in for him, but perhaps Lyon wants to play him for a few more games and see if he's worth keeping on the list.

Gwilt rebounded well, and we used him for rebound from defense. Defensively he was pretty horrible in the first half where his opponent kicked 3 goals on him. His selection will be based on what job he was given in the second half, which you can't really see on TV. Miles could take his spot, he would give us more run rather than Gwilt's kicking penetration so we would have to adjust a gameplan to suit this.

Charlie is really in trouble. After a great game in Sydney, hasn't done much since. Can move Hamill, i mean Eddy, to half forward in his place and bring Hayes back into the midfield.

Allen presents really well and is our best contested mark other than Koschitzke (yes, better than Roo). Nerves will settle with more AFL games, he looks at home in the saints jumper.

At the moment, it's:

In: Hayes, Birss
Out: C. Gardiner, McQualter

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Charlie is really in trouble. After a great game in Sydney, hasn't done much since. Can move Hamill, i mean Eddy, to half forward in his place and bring Hayes back into the midfield.
can eddy hold down chf?

i'm not that big a fan of charlie's because he doesn't kick enough goals, but if we were to keep c. gardiner in as well as allen it might allow roo to play wing and kosi to ruck at the same time for at least part of the match.

this could by handy if we are being trounced in general play and rather than having them getting stale down the other end we could involve two of our biggest stars in the play a bit more with their understudies holding the fort in the forward line.

and having two mobile big blokes like that loose would give us an aerial dominance that few teams can match around the ground.

then again the forward line is much more dangerous with either of them in it. but it would be good to have the flexibility.