Some good signs from Kosi last night

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Some good signs from Kosi last night

At differnet times in the game kosi looked up and about.

Loved that mark he took running back with the flight of the ball and snared on the second bite as he was hitting the ground.

That's the Kosi of old crashing packs for the contested mark.

midas_touch
Club Player

Looked more lively last night than he has all season, which is definitely a good sign.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

He's got to kick straighter. He missed 3 very gettable goals, could have ended up with 5 last night.

mick13
Club Player

When he ended up with that mark where he bowled 3 of em over including roo and took it on the chest. Sensational

This guys got so much potential (at least I hope he does...) lets just hope he can untap that potential.

Washedup
Club Player

Very good game from Kosi last night, we definitely look alot more dangerous when he is up and firing. Hopefully he can keep his body right and get some consistency in his game. He has the ability to cause some major headaches to the opposition, but we need him to bring that level that he showed last night alot more frequently

yipper
SS Life Member

He moved more freely it seemed. But the biggest plus was that he moved into the right spots - he looked dangerous all night. It seems to me that both he and Roo are reading where the ball is going much more effectively. But they sure appreciated the more open and direct game we played.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:He's got to kick straighter. He missed 3 very gettable goals, could have ended up with 5 last night.
before last night he was statistically our best shot for goal this season so he won't be happy with 2.3.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

That may well be the case but he still misses too many shots he should kick. In fact, as a team we do.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:That may well be the case but he still misses too many shots he should kick. In fact, as a team we do.
the heartening thing. i guess, is that he didn't miss the two goals in two minutes that put us back in front. they weren't hard shots, but the pressure he was under was enormous.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy he made both of them! I'd just like us as a team to kick the goals we should. I don't mind the occasional miss, but we don't kick enough of the goals that should be 80% chances. We turn them into 50% chances, and I believe it costs us.

As an example, I thought last night we should have kicked the first 3 of our scoring chances, none were that difficult, but they ended up as points, and we were nearly 5 goals down at one stage. Had we kicked those, we were only a couple of goals down, and still well in the game.

The fact we came back and won is terrific, but it's not our usual pattern, and the difference between 5 goals down and 2 goals down psychologically is IMO quite marked.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

it seems that Kosi needs to play in the ruck or at least spend significant periods of the game rucking to get more in the action (resulting in him playing better).

makes me wonder if having all 3 of King, Gardiner and Kosi in the team = us being too top heavy as it robs us of an additional running midfielder and a bit of flexibility

anyone think that perhaps there's only enough room for 2 in the team at anyy1 time and that perhaps Gardiner should at this point remain a reserve?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:anyone think that perhaps there's only enough room for 2 in the team at anyy1 time and that perhaps Gardiner should at this point remain a reserve?
the thought crossed my mind. who would play ff when kosi's rucking though? allen?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i think we may be better off resting midfielders at this time give chances to whichever medium sized forward is in the team at that time... Allen, Charlie, Mac, Raph etc

+ don't forget that Roo would still drop down

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some good signs from Kosi last night

Cairnsman wrote:At differnet times in the game kosi looked up and about.

Loved that mark he took running back with the flight of the ball and snared on the second bite as he was hitting the ground.

That's the Kosi of old crashing packs for the contested mark.
Agree. Have been a consistent critic of Kosi, but thought he was amongst our best last night. Seemed to be more mobile and confident. Hope he makes me eat my words and really comes good as I haven't been a big wrap for him.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:i think we may be better off resting midfielders at this time give chances to whichever medium sized forward is in the team at that time... Allen, Charlie, Mac, Raph etc

+ don't forget that Roo would still drop down
only thing is that roo also has been playing more as a follower or winger. so this would leave us without a marking target in the forward line.

call me old fashioned, but i reckon you always need at least one.

i'm confused over this one.

though they are obviously different players to roo and kosi, you don't see hawthorn playing franklin and roughhead on the ball and they are travelling better than us.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

At half time I was prepared to write Kosi off forever.

Now I hope he continues to play reasonably well, as he did last night, so we may get a first round pick for him.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell