Increased midfield depth wins us the game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Increased midfield depth wins us the game

Increased midfield depth wins us the game..

IMO our increased midfield depth was a key factor, if not the key factor, in us winning the game against the Bues tonight.

We rotated lots of players through fora good even effort with lots of the ball spread around any contributors.

Importantly in that last quarter the Blues started with their guns on the ball and Judd was causing havoc......but they good not keep it up and our greater depth in the midfield wore them down and we got on top again.

Special note too to King and Kosi dominating the ruck (though against weak apponents).......and to the Jones boy probably playing his most polished game for us yet. Jones is a clear leader in the Most improve Player Award this year.

Gram too...as midfielder probably played his best midfield game for us to date.

That Kosi is starting to hit good form after tow good games ina row is a promising sign.

But again...the highlight to me was the number of players that we had play good midfiel gaes for us tonight.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

And SIX of our midfielders kick goals tonight.

mick13
Club Player

Like Armo getting forward. Kicked a couple goals a few times now.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

We all need to acknowledge two super midfield jobs tonight. Dempster on Stevens and McQualter on Murphy left Carlton so reliant on Judd that Gram's chop out job left them impotent.

And King to Hayes, King to Hayes , King to Hayes, King to Hayes, King to Hayes and King to Hayes in that second quarter was worth a long journey to see on its own.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
mick13
Club Player

Gram and Judd kinda cancelled each other out.

And Dal and Hayes did so much more than Murphy and Stevens.

Did Fish get much of a run through the middle tonight?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Increased midfield depth wins us the game

saintsRrising wrote:Increased midfield depth wins us the game..

IMO our increased midfield depth was a key factor, if not the key factor, in us winning the game against the Bues tonight.

We rotated lots of players through fora good even effort with lots of the ball spread around any contributors.

Importantly in that last quarter the Blues started with their guns on the ball and Judd was causing havoc......but they good not keep it up and our greater depth in the midfield wore them down and we got on top again.

Special note too to King and Kosi dominating the ruck (though against weak apponents).......and to the Jones boy probably playing his most polished game for us yet. Jones is a clear leader in the Most improve Player Award this year.

That Kosi is starting to hit good form after tow good games ina row is a promising sign.

But again...the highlight to me was the number of players that we had play good midfiel gaes for us tonight.
would you bring back m. gardiner and play kosi as a permanent forward, or would that make the midfield too sluggish?

it has me puzzled.

kosi seems so much more comfortable when he is able to spend at least some time on the ball and seems to be able to lift the guys around him in that role.

then again, he kicked two (well riewoldt actually kicked one of them for him) very important last quarter goals to stop the blues' run. so it is hard to discount his value as a forward.

the complicating factor is that allen is unlikely to be retained on that performance.

that means that if we play riewoldt on the wing (where he has been good recently) or kosi in the ruck (ditto) we'll be a marking target down in the forward line.

it's a quandry.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

would you bring back m. gardiner and play kosi as a permanent forward, or would that make the midfield too sluggish?

it has me puzzled.

kosi seems so much more comfortable when he is able to spend at least some time on the ball and seems to be able to lift the guys around him in that role.

then again, he kicked two (well riewoldt actually kicked one of them for him) very important last quarter goals to stop the blues' run. so it is hard to discount his value as a forward.

the complicating factor is that allen is unlikely to be retained on that performance.

that means that if we play riewoldt on the wing (where he has been good recently) or kosi in the ruck (ditto) we'll be a marking target down in the forward line.

it's a quandry.
Let Kosi roam as he is now. This is how we need him to play,he's standing up at the moment. MG can sit in the stands until we get an injury,as I don't think the King/Kosi duo should be interupted atm. We need the extra small the way the game is played now

Bring back the Lockett era
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Any team with Hayes, Harvey, Ball and Dal Santo is going to have a show. Lenny set up the second quarter. Most of the rotations worked OK.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:We all need to acknowledge two super midfield jobs tonight. Dempster on Stevens and McQualter on Murphy left Carlton so reliant on Judd that Gram's chop out job left them impotent.

And King to Hayes, King to Hayes , King to Hayes, King to Hayes, King to Hayes and King to Hayes in that second quarter was worth a long journey to see on its own.
Good points.

The much maligned "Ross Lyon recruit"n Dempster had a ripper tonight.

for what?..draft pick 487?...not to mentione Kings tap work tonight.....

Grant must b horrified...
:wink: :wink: :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

And Grant was going to take that famed CEO's job at one of the myriad Eaglemont companies that was top and tailed by Bill Express ("On Q" from memory, with the way paved by the king of 60's sly grog, Lindsay Fox, who was their biggest shareholder).

Good luck to Grant - another job he didn't get. And a good thing too.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

it has me puzzled.

it's a quandry.
I would bring in MG for Allen

Kosi to play forward and to float...asa follower.

As many of the actuall hot outs as possible should be down by King and MG.

Did you note some of Kings taps to Hayes tonight???

That combination is going to be lethal.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:We all need to acknowledge two super midfield jobs tonight. Dempster on Stevens and McQualter on Murphy left Carlton so reliant on Judd that Gram's chop out job left them impotent.

Yes indeed..

All part of the expnaded midfield that worked very well tonight.

Lyon worked his match ups very well.

Goody
Club Player

This is always going to be a Quandry while we are really injury free in the big man department. MG is a great ruckman, so is King, but seem limited if used up forward. I know MG has kicked a few as an eagle and gave us hell when he was there, but if it aint broke dont fix it.
Kosi is starting to shine and his contested marking is something to behold at the moment.
Geez this is good isnt it, we have a side starting to turn at hte right time, kids standing up, beating a side who was a challenge and will be for a while. No major injuries(cept Goose). Hows this week going to pan out?
All we need is the swans to cause a bit of mischief on the Hawks and we could do them next Sat'd night.
Not getting too carried away ofcourse.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Followed Saints since '71
Sir Robert Harvey was my favorite player
Stewie Lowe and Plugger before that.
Loved watching Rooey and Jack Steven
Now looking forward to the future

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, but most just say " What the f#&k happened!".
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well we will know where we are at after the Hawks match next week.

But with more midfield depth and rotations I am now a lot more confident about taking them on.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Well we will know where we are at after the Hawks match next week.

But with more midfield depth and rotations I am now a lot more confident about taking them on.
Yes I am as well but wouldnt mind Buddy getting a week injury or suspension.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

we p!ssed on them in the midfield........there were only three reasons why we weren't ten goals ahead at half time......bad kicking for goal, the yellow maggots and gwilt......to me it was only a matter of time before we pulled away......

.....pity they went into their shells at the start of the last quarter...that gave me a few heart palpitations...not good at my age..

...have a look...and a laugh at this post from talking crap.......do you think they might know who joey is yet....

"true_blue3 wrote:
DownUnderChick wrote:
jimmy3741 wrote:
A post over at AintsSational:

Quote:
Hayes, Ball, Joey

are better than

Judd, Stevens Murphy

Shocked Shocked

Who's Joey

i was just about to ask the same thing...

Does it matter?

I'm stunned at that comment. You expect a supporter to have the blinkers on, but..... wow"

.....ahh...they crack me up.......must suck to support those scum,.......
Last edited by stinger on Sat 12 Jul 2008 12:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Armitage was good kicked 2 goals ans should stay in the team for the rest of the year. So should Rob Eddy.

Dempster was also good in a Midfield role tagging Stevens.

Gram went head to head with Judd and won the dual. Judd had 30 disposals and Gram had 25 and 1 goal. Gram could have kicked a couple more but passed them off.

McQulater also good as was Hayes, Dal Santo, Harvey and Montagna.

Saints43
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Gram too...as midfielder probably played his best midfield game for us to date.
He was fantastic.

I did not believe he could play in the midfield. Real midfield. Where it hurts. With Judd standing next to him. I had Grammy picked as a one-trick pony - and I didn't even rate that trick all that much...

A fantastic addition to this club if he can continue on like that.

Was also nice to see NDS pushing his tagger around a bit..

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think credit has to go to Ross to..

Rather than tag Judd he went in the main head to head with an attacking player on him.

Rather than seeking to chop Judd out he instead sought to:

*Exploit his lack of accountability
*To chop out the players he feeds..

Good coaching.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

yep...ratten was certainly outcoached....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
LaUrEnCe
Club Player

Yes for once we didn't look top heavy, where defenders just sweep it from defensive 50 straight away.
Really impressed with Montagna - this guy is just growing, remember he was always behind guys like Lenny, Dal, Ball... but now i reckon him and Gram have really stepped up and opposition have to regard em as highly as the other 3 IMO.
Ball is a gun - so talented, very smart player.

Our ruck worked too, Kings a gem, although he didn't really have class ruck opposition - he has to do well against the classier ruckmen, that's where the test comes.

Farkk next week will be tough
:?
what do we do against Franklin and co.... *Bites nails

supersaints
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:I think credit has to go to Ross to..

Rather than tag Judd he went in the main head to head with an attacking player on him.

Rather than seeking to chop Judd out he instead sought to:

*Exploit his lack of accountability
*To chop out the players he feeds..

Good coaching.
I agree , but I think if Bakes was fit he would have played to cut out Judd, just for the record Judd as only (unitl last night) averaged 14 possesions and never recieved a single Brownlow vote, thanks to Bakes...... He has the wood on him.....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
elphie
Club Player

already hypothesising about team structure for next wek and finally in enviable position with almost full list available soon.
FORWARD LINE:
Allen seems to have future with marking pressure but time to go back to Magoos as shown out in fast game last night. Who is available to replace him like for like? Of course, depends on Casey game but......
Can we recall M.GARDINER? use him as resting marking forward more often than not and leaving KOSI in follower role when KING rested.
Can we think of recalling C.GARDINER? use him as lead-up and drop ROO to goalsquarish? or too much of a sacrifice?

so much choice.......
any clues out there guys?

or just go small and bring in SCHNEIDS? but really need to have someone contesting mark and our crumbing is important and just about got it right last night. isn't there any other strong, physical type who can apply forward marking pressure?????? oh...who's that FRASER guy?

LaUrEnCe
Club Player

Schneids ftw

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:then again, he kicked two (well riewoldt actually kicked one of them for him) very important last quarter goals to stop the blues' run. so it is hard to discount his value as a forward.
He kicked them as a ruckman.