A Good Win, But

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

A Good Win, But

It was a good win last night. We played attacking football and the second and third quarters were probably our best consecutive quarters for the year.

The but is that we had Carlton at our mercy at 3 quarter time and I just felt we came out in the last quarter more concerned in containing there good last quarter record instead of going for the kill and just grind them into the ground.

Ask yourself if Geelong or Bulldogs were in our position at 3 quarter time what would they do, they would go out to kick early goals in the last quarter and snuff out any resistance from the opposition.

But we won and overall it was pleasing, our destiny is in our own hand, all we need to do is keep winning and were in the finals.

In fact right now we are in a position not only to play finals, but determine where we start in September.

This weeks game is huge and I fancy our chances against Hawthorn, they have not been playing as well as earlier in the season and some cracks are showing, let's hope Sydney bruise them up a bit and a few of their players do some silly things that mean they gather enough points to disqualify them for next week.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Adelaide GAWN.

6th is in our sights now.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: A Good Win, But

3rd generation saint wrote: The but is that we had Carlton at our mercy at 3 quarter time and I just felt we came out in the last quarter more concerned in containing there good last quarter record instead of going for the kill and just grind them into the ground.

Ask yourself if Geelong or Bulldogs were in our position at 3 quarter time what would they do, they would go out to kick early goals in the last quarter and snuff out any resistance from the opposition.
I think we saw a team with their season on the line throw absolutely everything they had at us in the last quarter, and they still only won it by a point.... it wasn't perfect, but we are building nicely.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

A Good Win, But

NO "buts"! Don't want to hear "BUTS" It was a good hard earned win! simple as that. The Blues have gained a reputation for strong finishes in the final quarter and if the Jiggsters honest I felt we were in a VERY awkward spot in that Carlton surge. We came back though!! Collingwood, Port, Richmond and a few others folded We didn't so dont be giving me "buts" That was a bloody good win ....PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

As I said a good win, however, if we had come out in the last quarter more interested in finishing Carlton off than worrying about their last quarter reputation, we would have kicked the first couple of goals and killed off Carlton's resistance.

That would have turned a good win into a great win and that's what really good sides do, we are a good side.

Remember there is always room for improvement and this is what I'm trying to stress, we need to keep improving and let sides worry about what we are going to do.

As I said in the original post, Geelong and the Bulldogs wouldn't have given a stuff about Carlton's last quarter reputation and would have just gone out to bury them.

We have to have that attitude, we have to be ruthless, last night was good, but it could have been better and I don't think anyone here wouldn't have enjoyed last night better if we had turned a 33 point advantage into a 60 point plus win which was well within our capabilities.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:As I said a good win, however, if we had come out in the last quarter more interested in finishing Carlton off than worrying about their last quarter reputation, we would have kicked the first couple of goals and killed off Carlton's resistance.
I think in fairness you need to remember footy is also about what the opposition does and its impact on you and your game style. I dont believe Ross Lyon said at 3 qtr time "ok now we swap game styles again and go defensive"

Actually, Lyon made a very good point in that articel recently (and why I am convinced in this guys football AND coaching ability) in that he talked about how he wanted St Kilda to play fast attacking footy and how the best sides are able to continue to play THEIR style of game under opposition pressure - we are still learning to do that IMHO. Carlton (Judd/Gibbs) put the heat on last night and we did go into our shell for 15mins....thats where we need to hold true to OUR game style, not go wide and NOT play chippilotto. It takes time for that to becom instinctive - it also takes continuity within players/team week in week out which is something we havent had a lot of while we have been trying kids.

Oddly I felt even in the first that Carlton hasd given us their best and yet we (playing ordinary) had another gear and if/when we found it I was confident they couldnt go with us (must say they have some great kids.....and a bright future...).

The real upside to me from last night is we are learning how to win while being challenged that HAS to be a help in mentally toughening us up as a group and instilling the belief that we arent out of any contest.

“Yeah….nah””
abandonallhope
Club Player

The hawks will show us where the saints lie, christ i hope they win