Gilbert on Buddy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert on Buddy?

ok im coach for the day. i give Sam Gilbert a call right now and I say SAm - you are my 1st choice on Buddy. Dont lose sleep over it but you are on. I got faith in you. i know you havent had a great year but here is your chance to turn it around. if u are getting killed ill move max on to him. but you are first choice. so get ready.

Max on Williams (dont let him get a sniff)
Gilbert on Buddy (Run and spoil all day)
Sam Fisher on Roughhead (Run off him on the rebound/counter attack)
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 13 Jul 2008 4:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

An interesting matchup Con.. think its more likely that Max will get Buddy and Fisher will stand Roughead...but if Lyon is looking to free Fisher up to run off halfback/through the middle could be worth consideration...certainly has the pace to go with him..aerially though Max could be a safer bet.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Would think it will be Max of Buddy and Blake on roughead.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't you think Buddy will run Max off his feet though? I'd love Max on him one on one inside 50. However Buddy ventures up the ground a lot,unsure wehther Max will have the legs?
I could be wrong....I don't have any alternative answers..Blake,Gilbert,Fisher? Dunno,hopefully he gets injured in the last quarter of the game now

Bring back the Lockett era
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

He'll kick at least four as we lack the key defenders to match him up.

It's not ideal, but Sam Fisher is the only choice, really.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

let him run up the ground, just send someone with him that can run up the ground as well a bj, gilbert kind of player just have max with him in the 50

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

id think buddy might run too much for Maxy too.

But im trying to make a point that Gilbert is the right type of player for Buddy and hes now old enough to take some responsibility. We can't always expect Max (and Harves and Lenny) to do everything. Sam Fisher stood up 2 years ago and never looked back and its time we put some responsibility on Gilbert. He is 22 and 194 cm. He is 6 months older than Buddy. Gilbert is no longer a young player. He should be ready.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Sounds like Buddy's got his kicking boot on again today........ the wrong one that is!

at the 23 minute mark of the last quarter his contribution's been

3 goals 7 behinds
5 free kicks against
10 clangers

Hope he saves this form for next week!

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:Sounds like Buddy's got his kicking boot on again today........ the wrong one that is!

at the 23 minute mark of the last quarter his contribution's been

3 goals 7 behinds
5 free kicks against
10 clangers

Hope he saves this form for next week!
doesnt he have one week when he is crap then one week when he kicks 8?
seems like it has been going that way,
but i think we can beat them,
play max on roughead maybe,

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Need to have someone who can match Franklin in the air and on the ground.

Sam Gilbert is the man for the job. If it doesn't work out, Blake can go onto him.

Max on Roughead, no worries there.

Keep Chips free.

Need to have someone on Williams, kicked 4 this week.

derby Street
Club Player

I reckon Blakes the man for Buddy - he's got the engine to run with him and has done some good jobs in recent weeks. I think Buddy would be too good for Sam at this stage - Sam might be better off with Williams who looked pretty dangerous today. Maxie can handle the Roughie - try and keep Sam Fisher free but I expect Clarkson will be trying to make him accountable.

Don't forget the Hawks will have a few worries trying to match up on us as well.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Blake will probably take him. No one would be able to shut Franklin out of the game so just chuck Blake on him and just make sure that he always has someone on his tail.

Max to keep Roughead to 2 goals.

Gilbert will probably be Lyon's choice for Williams. Is a bit of a worrying match up.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

stopping Buddy and Roughead will be a team effort, and will depend on the midfield delivery

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
benoc
Club Player

Buddy also has a temper and gets affected by it. Blake and Max are both experts at getting into the head of their opponent.

Rotate the two on him dependent on the field position he plays.

Also we often have an extra defender so have Sam or BJ double team him early on to prevent his possesions and put some physical contact/pressure on him.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert isn't strong enough. Blake isn't quick/smart enough.

Both could get eaten alive.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Gilbert. He is 22 and 194 cm. He is 6 months older than Buddy. Gilbert is no longer a young player. He should be ready.
i was at the hawthorn game today and from what i saw of him it doesn't matter much who you put on him.

he does exactly as he pleases and might be the most dominant player since lockett was a similar age.

max might be run off his feet and gilbert probably would not be physically strong enough, but you might as well give the unenviable task to one of them. aomeone's got to do it.

we've just got to beat them in other areas and make sure the ball doesn't get in there except under extreme pressure.

benoc
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Blake isn't quick/smart enough.
I think Blake is quick enough if the other backs don't leave too many openings.

He is far smarter than people give him credit for. He is playing some of his best footy and will make buddy accountable on the counter attack.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:max might be run off his feet and gilbert probably would not be physically strong enough, but you might as well give the unenviable task to one of them. aomeone's got to do it.
Precisely. Concede the Franklin duel and put Gilbert on him. Have Max take out Roughead, and Blake helping out and/or taking the 3rd tall.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:max might be run off his feet and gilbert probably would not be physically strong enough, but you might as well give the unenviable task to one of them. aomeone's got to do it.
Precisely. Concede the Franklin duel and put Gilbert on him. Have Max take out Roughead, and Blake helping out and/or taking the 3rd tall.
There is difference between conceding a dual and losing a game. Max may not have the motor but Gilbert doesnt have the form. The best backman on the best forward works for me.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:There is difference between conceding a dual and losing a game. Max may not have the motor but Gilbert doesnt have the form. The best backman on the best forward works for me.
Let me put it this way.

Max on Franklin - 4 goals
Blake on Roughhead - 5 goals

or...

Gilbert on Franklin - 6 goals
Max on Roughead - 1 or 2 goals

Winning the game isn't about stopping Franklin from kicking 8 goals, it's about stopping the whole Hawthorn forward line from kicking goals. You place your men where they will concede the least goals overall.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:There is difference between conceding a dual and losing a game. Max may not have the motor but Gilbert doesnt have the form. The best backman on the best forward works for me.
Let me put it this way.

Max on Franklin - 4 goals
Blake on Roughhead - 5 goals

or...

Gilbert on Franklin - 6 goals
Max on Roughead - 1 or 2 goals

Winning the game isn't about stopping Franklin from kicking 8 goals, it's about stopping the whole Hawthorn forward line from kicking goals. You place your men where they will concede the least goals overall.
I didnt know that was what they would kick on each player. Were did you find that information. If that is what they will kick you are right. Sorry for doubting you.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

For mine - Gilbo on Buddy is good for us. Gilbo has the speed and size to run with Buddy. This also may get the Hawks to look to isolate Buddy deep forward to make Gilbo feel more unfomfortable. This would be a win as they wouldn't have Buddy helping out around HF up in to the middle as they usually do. If they do leave Buddy up at HF Gilbo has the attacking style that will hopefully make Buddy accountable.

Max on Roughy is my bet and Chips can then help out where he can on either Buddy or Roughy. We then need to put someone on the Rifleman and i would go with Blake there.

But regardless of how we line up in the back half it will be won and loss in the middle. Cut supply to the likes of Hodge, Mitchell etc. and then we have a shot but we can't afford to go negative we must make take them on and attack their rolling zone.
Last edited by redwhite&blackblood on Sun 13 Jul 2008 6:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I didnt know that was what they would kick on each player. Were did you find that information. If that is what they will kick you are right. Sorry for doubting you.
Intuition and guesswork, it's what all of the hard coaching decisions are about.

I think that Franklin will dominate no matter who we put on him, so we may as well use Max to negate their secondary forward target.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

benoc wrote:
evertonfc wrote: Blake isn't quick/smart enough.
I think Blake is quick enough if the other backs don't leave too many openings.

He is far smarter than people give him credit for. He is playing some of his best footy and will make buddy accountable on the counter attack.
I think you're overstating him to be honest.

He hasn't had a bad few weeks, but let's face up to the facts here.

Buddy Franklin is one of the best in the game. Blake should need special permission to be allowed on the same field.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:i was at the hawthorn game today and from what i saw of buddy it doesn't matter much who you put on him.
of course the same goes for riewoldt. given a reasonable supply of the ball he's going to get plenty of it.