2009 Fixture !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

2009 Fixture !!

It's that time of year again when all clubs are required to submit their wish lists for the 2009 fixture (due this Friday, I think). So, what should be on our wish list?

We have 11 home games at the Dome locked in. I have a personal preference for most of these to be Friday night/Saturday night.

I like the idea of playing Collingwood & Essendon twice like this year. Not so sure we will get that again. 1/2 of it would be nice.

We have expressed some interest in the Gold Coast. It would be nice to know how far down the track these negotiations are and what they contain.

I would like our 1st two games and our last two games for the H & A season to be played in Melbourne.

I would still like our club to "go in hard" for Good Friday. If we don't grab it someone else will and turn it into a blockbuster. My preference is us v Richmond.

Keep Interstate travel to a minimum, bearing the Gold Coast possible deal in mind.

That we have only one bye/split round that is 4-4

Do any our more (and less) intelligent posters have any preferences? !!

Schillaci
Club Player

2 games against our easybeats...Carlton...pencil in the wins now :D

SharpShooter
Club Player

Playing Carlton 22 times a year would be nice. :evil:

Would love to push to a Easter blockbuster, even if its a Thursday game coming off a Friday the week before (as to not have a very short turnaround).

Keep many Friday/Saturday night games as we can. Wouldn't mind if we got some money for playing Gold Coast games, but would imagine we'd lose home dome games if we were to do so and I wouldn't want to lose those games.

With the way the Eagles and Freo are at the moment, 2 games against them would be nice wins. As well as keeping two games against Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood will be good for crowd numbers.

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

First post sums up pretty well what we should look at.

With the Gold Coast, could we convince the AFL to move a trip to the Gabba down to Carrara and maybe one of our Melbourne away games?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

play brisbane @ home.
go for the good friday game play 5 or so games @ queensland

SideshowMilne
Club Player

Only one request Andrew

That the draw be as close to equitable as possible over a five season window. You have the cash to make the comp fair, so why don't you?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

We can request all we like..the simple fact is that Collingwoods stadium deals, the requirement to play a game in Perth and Adelaiide every week, ANZAC Day, Queens Birthday, 2 SHowdowns, 2 Derbies, Dreamtime game etc etc etc means that very few of the Clubs requests can get met. Still makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy that they ask though.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Can we play Carlton every week??

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

It's not a draw, it's a fixture - as in a FIX!

This year, we travel interstate five times - Adelaide must feel horribly done by. So, next year we should do it ONCE, because on average there should be three interstate games per year.

Of course, it won't happen because there are only two rules in the AFL house of cards:
1. Look after the interstate teams - they've only won eight of the last eleven flags.
2. Look after Collingwood.

Hang on, I think there is one more rule:

3. Screw St Kilda!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:We can request all we like..the simple fact is that Collingwoods stadium deals, the requirement to play a game in Perth and Adelaiide every week, ANZAC Day, Queens Birthday, 2 SHowdowns, 2 Derbies, Dreamtime game etc etc etc means that very few of the Clubs requests can get met. Still makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy that they ask though.
That is EXACTLY why StKilda needs to be innovative in seeking new marketing ideas. Good Friday is one piece of action that everyone wants to get a piece of. There must be other opportunities. C'mon those of you with creative minds. Think of something !!

battye
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
saint66au wrote:We can request all we like..the simple fact is that Collingwoods stadium deals, the requirement to play a game in Perth and Adelaiide every week, ANZAC Day, Queens Birthday, 2 SHowdowns, 2 Derbies, Dreamtime game etc etc etc means that very few of the Clubs requests can get met. Still makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy that they ask though.
That is EXACTLY why StKilda needs to be innovative in seeking new marketing ideas. Good Friday is one piece of action that everyone wants to get a piece of. There must be other opportunities. C'mon those of you with creative minds. Think of something !!
KFC "Rivalry Round" Big Bash at Cairns/Darwin. Australia play England up north (because of the decent weather during the "winter") in a Twenty20 match - on the football ground (with a drop in pitch). If any of the cricketers get it for six through the football goals, they get $6,000. If it is a behind, they get $1,000 (as a bonus).

At the conclusion of the Twenty20 match, the cricket pitch is removed (I don't really know how drop in pitches work, let's assume this is possible :wink:) St Kilda and (say) Richmond come out for their AFL match.

AFL and Cricket Australia can market it as the "Annual double header blockbuster rivalry showdown round".

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We've gotten some awesome fixtures in recent years.

Have a look at this year - 9 of our first 11 at the Dome!

It's the team that screws us over, not the AFL.

...having said that, I want to see us have more big home matches at the MCG. We can defeat any of the 'big' teams there anyway.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

rexy
SS Life Member

Anzac Day EVE is untapped, At the dome against Richmond, that way which ever side of Anzac day there is a short break us and richmond could play Collingwood and Essendon so as no-one was massively disadvantaged?

Outside the square.

Maybe this year?
Gilbert=Legend

More games at the G

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You be surprised at how close we get to our requests. Having said that we dont us for requests that arent going to happen like playing the big 3 twice. Also anyone wanting Gold Coast games will have to realise we would then not going to get 11 home games so I dont that is a good idea. I think the Saints though may be the team that requests to play up there 3 times next year. No real reason for thinking this but I have a feeling a finances may not be that good next year if we dont play up there.

midas_touch
Club Player

Gilbert=Legend wrote:More games at the G
Agreed. We only get 2 games at the G this year. Would like to see that increase to 3-4 next year.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Mini survey on saints.com.au - right hand side bar- asks your preferance or day / night of the week for games.
Sat afternoon or evening for me- or early Sunday- Not twilight.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Personally I hate Friday night games, as my depot is in Sunshine, I find myself in a rush to make sure I finish early enough to make sure I have enough time to get to the game.

Last Friday night's game at the G was even worse because I had to drive from one side of CBD to the other in peak hour traffic which is a pain in the backside. Took 30 minutes to get from Spencer St to the MCG car park.

For me, give Saturday Afternoon and evening games for the whole 22 weeks.

But that wont happen, by the way the AFL looks after Essendon and Carlton pretty well as well.

hAyES
Club Player

- No twilight games
- Minimum interstate trips

Other than that, I'm not too fussed. I'd say more MCG games but the Dome is much more convenient because it's just off the freeway.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

My dream fixture would be...
7 Home games at the dome
4 Home games at Carrarra
4 Away games at the dome
4 Away games at the MCG
3 Away games interstate

Play 3 of Carlton, Essendon, Richmond or Collingwood twice.
A Good Friday blockbuster match (preferably against Carlton at the MCG)
2 Games against Brisbane (one at the Gabba, one at Carrarra)

6 Friday Night Games (3 at the Dome, 1 at the G, 1 interstate, 1 at Carrarra)
8 Saturday Night Games (5 at the Dome, 1 at the G, 2 at Carrarra)
3 Saturday Day games (2 at the Dome and 1 at Carrarra)
3 Sunday Day Games (1 at the Dome, 1 at the G and 1 interstate)
2 Twilight Games (one good Friday and one interstate)

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
esaint66
SS Life Member

How about Carlton in round 1 and 2 ... takes out win record over them to 13 and leaves us on top of the ladder :wink: :lol:

I would like less Sunday games and more double games over bottom 8 opponents :wink: :lol:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:My dream fixture would be...
7 Home games at the dome
4 Home games at Carrarra
4 Away games at the dome
4 Away games at the MCG
3 Away games interstate

Play 3 of Carlton, Essendon, Richmond or Collingwood twice.
A Good Friday blockbuster match (preferably against Carlton at the MCG)
2 Games against Brisbane (one at the Gabba, one at Carrarra)

6 Friday Night Games (3 at the Dome, 1 at the G, 1 interstate, 1 at Carrarra)
8 Saturday Night Games (5 at the Dome, 1 at the G, 2 at Carrarra)
3 Saturday Day games (2 at the Dome and 1 at Carrarra)
3 Sunday Day Games (1 at the Dome, 1 at the G and 1 interstate)
2 Twilight Games (one good Friday and one interstate)
I like most of that Armoo but would only have 3 at Carrara and would definately not play the Lions there, keep em coming to the Dome. Let's play the Eagles, Freo and Port there instead. Make em travel the length and width ot this great land for a thumping.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Anzac Day EVE is untapped, At the dome against Richmond, that way which ever side of Anzac day there is a short break us and richmond could play Collingwood and Essendon so as no-one was massively disadvantaged?

Outside the square.
rexy, rexy, rexy !!

That is a bloody good............no, GREAT idea !!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

and if they were clever they would play 2 of them during the school holiday period

sunday (first week of school holidays)

saturday arvo (second week)

So even if you had a freo/wce/port etc. for one or two of these gold coast games you would get a decient crowd. People could suit their holidays to perhaps go up on the friday or saturday at the start of the school holidays, stay up there for a week, see the second match and then go back on the sunda/monday if they only wanted a week up there. You could also sell a membership package with perhaps entry to dreamworld, sea world and movie world.

Also this would allow the team to stay up on the coast, do some development work. Our queensland players can visit home. Lots of clinics and a chance for the WHOLE squad to be together for a week + period.

WIN WIN for everyone

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:and if they were clever they would play 2 of them during the school holiday period

sunday (first week of school holidays)

saturday arvo (second week)

WIN WIN for everyone
The only thing being that at least one of these games would need to be Saturday Night to fit in with the TV networks !!